You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Natural shoulders: difference between Ivy and Neapolitan style.

#1 2011-12-05 14:26:29

carpu65

Natural shoulders: difference between Ivy and Neapolitan style.

#2 2011-12-05 14:31:57

carpu65

Re: Natural shoulders: difference between Ivy and Neapolitan style.

Another difference is that (for some guys) American Ivy coats gieves mobility and freedom for hard work,
Neapolitan for leisure,walking,nicely wasting time.

#3 2011-12-05 14:54:25

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

They are not called sacks because they resemble sacks. It 's because the back is cut from two pieces not four. I can't remember if this is in the bb book or not. But it is all explained.

Last edited by Oo Bop Sh'bam (2011-12-05 15:03:51)

''If I can't share my faith in Christ here, I'd just as soon not have to put up with people advocating drug use.''

#4 2011-12-05 15:12:22

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy

Sack Coat
What the Victorians knew as the sack coat first appeared in France at the end of the 1840's and quickly spread to England and America, becoming very popular in the East by the mid-1850's. Intended for extremely informal occasions, sack coats soon became working and business wear for skilled workers and clerks. By the end of the 1850's the U.S. Army had adopted a military version of the sack coat as fatigue wear. By the 1870's civilian sacks were being worn as general purpose outdoors and working jackets by many people out west. Many, many photographs of round ups and trail drives show cowboys from Texas to Montana wearing sack coats as everyday working dress.
Despite what you may have read, they are not called "sack coats" because they are oversized, loose, or otherwise fit like a sack. Sack, sac, sacque, etc. all refer to the way the back of the jacket is cut; i.e. "sack cut". This simply means the back is formed of two pieces only, cut relatively straight down, instead of being made up of four curved pieces with hidden pockets in the tails as on more formal and traditional coats such as tail coats, morning coats, and frocks. Some tailoring manuals of the 1850's and 1860's refer to the sack coat by other names, but it's the same garment. Length of skirt and sleeve, number and style of pockets, collar, lapels, and the cut of the front skirt were the elements of changing style in the sack coat from 1850 to 1900. At all times in the period, sack coats were made in "close cut", "full cut", "single breasted", and "double breasted" versions. See the Walton & Taylor 1870 single-breasted sack coat.

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#5 2011-12-05 15:26:05

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

Another major difference between the Neapolitan and sack jackets is the size of the armhole and degree of shoulder extension.  A Neapolitan jacket generally has a generous sleevehead that is gathered into a smaller armhole, which creates the smalla camicia wrinkling. The American sack, especially nowadays, has a large sleevehead and an equally large armhole.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#6 2011-12-05 16:04:53

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

Interesting. There is a definite, if slight, shirring at the shoulder of all my older Brooks coats that isn't on either old Press or Southwick or indeed H. Freeman's I own. It's even on old Brooks topcoats. This is something often attributed as being unique to the Neapolitan style, but the evidence suggests it has not always exclusively been so.

To me it is one of the more subtle hallmarks of old BB tailoring along with what I can only describe as a defined flare to the sleeve from the elbow down.

#7 2011-12-05 16:07:02

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#8 2011-12-05 20:25:44

carpu65

#9 2011-12-05 21:20:03

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

Carey grant had a massive chest to waist ratio. It is due to this type of body shape that bb introduced the number 2 suit. As a man with very broad shoulders and relativily thin waist would look far to boxy. Thing is a darted jacket with a back vent wears very differently to one with side vents. I'm currently try to find something darted with a single vent. Because they do sit better and don't flare out giving too much of an hour glass shape

''If I can't share my faith in Christ here, I'd just as soon not have to put up with people advocating drug use.''

#10 2011-12-05 21:58:21

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

In my opinion, my undarted side vented jackets look awful, and if you take any feature as being most important on an 'ivy' jacket i have to say the back vent, is only second to the natural shoulder. It dictates so much about how the jacket sits. And gives a lovely line off the top of the back when looked at from the side or rear. Think big man SP sat on that bicycle think the image was posted on JS' facebook page for the hollywood look. Such a cool shape.

Last edited by Oo Bop Sh'bam (2011-12-05 22:02:16)

#11 2011-12-07 07:53:25

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Last edited by Hard Bop Hank (2011-12-07 07:58:06)

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#12 2011-12-19 11:18:06

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

#13 2011-12-19 12:00:03

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

^
Great stuff TTR.

#14 2011-12-19 13:06:04

For The Love Of Ivy

#15 2011-12-19 14:26:32

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Great stuff!

BTW the 1962 Brooks suit I mentioned in the other thread has also similar sleeveheads and lapels like the second one you posted.

It's that navy #1 with bone stripes you posted here a few years back, Zach!

Last edited by Hard Bop Hank (2011-12-19 14:27:07)

“No Room For Squares”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#16 2011-12-19 14:50:17

carpu65

Last edited by carpu65 (2011-12-19 14:57:25)

#17 2011-12-19 14:58:23

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Really a great blog on the whole, Zach!

“No Room For Squares”

#18 2013-08-18 05:31:47

Russell...Street
By any other name...

a bump for Zach`s blog Piece on the similarity of the Brooks 50s shoulder and the Neapolitan spalla camicia.

42R | 16.5/34 | 34/30 | US 10D/UK 9.5E
"Horses, horses... horseshit!"

“As honest as you can expect a man to be in a world where its going out of style.”  - Raymond Chandler

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Natural shoulders: difference between Ivy and Neapolitan style.

Board footer