You are not logged in.

#26 2014-01-05 03:30:20

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: Customs Charges: Get It Off Your Chest

More and more US sellers who ship overseas are using the ebay 'global shipping program' that adds customs charges into the starting price. What is particularly annoying is when it is used for items that are under the £15 threshold that would not attract charges any way. Just a rip off.

This is another nail in the coffin for ebay where I'm concerned.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#27 2014-01-05 03:33:54

Bop

What I find annoying about ebay is the sellers abuse of creaming p+p on etsy the sellers are great with really fair shipping or all it takes is an email to explain and all is ok. On ebay most of them are jerk offs that argue it costs 22 quid to post a jumper because its wool?

#28 2014-01-05 03:37:05

Bop

What I find annoying about ebay is the sellers abuse of creaming p+p

on etsy the sellers are great with really fair shipping or all it takes is an email to explain and all is ok. On ebay most of them are jerk offs that argue it costs 22 quid to post a jumper because its wool?

Just got this email from a seller. For a jacket similar in size to a jacket an etsy seller shipped me for six quid.

"We usually ship USPS Priority, which provides tracking and quicker shipments - that costs US$59.95 We could also ship via USPS First Class, which is US$37.10.''

The jacket is 12 quid btw.

#29 2014-01-05 03:39:29

Bop

I try to explain to them its cheaper for me to loose it in the post

#30 2014-01-05 03:49:25

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#31 2014-01-05 05:03:23

chuck power

In my humble opinion it's more down to the greed of eBay themselves than the seller .Ebay now also take 10% of the postage charge in commission - whilst also pegging the seller down to what they can charge in specific categories - often forcing sellers to send stuff at less than cost. I buy a lot of stuff from the USA and see a variety of incredible prices for shipping - I either disregard the idea of buying the item completely , or if I can't risk temptation, contact the seller and ask them very nicely if there's a cheaper alternative.

As for the 'global shipping programme' - annoying as it that another of eBays greasy acolytes are getting there snout in the trough - it does seem to cancel out charges if the item is below the threshold for import duty/ VAT etc - and does do away with the need to make a 10 mile round trip to the sorting office. That said - I still think they're all a bunch of thieving C**ts ..... mad

Who do you see? Who do you watch? Whose your leader? Which is your flock?

#32 2014-01-05 05:03:42

subliminal kid

In my experience most US sellers agree to use whatever USPS service you ask them to, as long as you ask them politely and BEFORE you place a bid for the item. By doing this I usually get very reasonable shipping costs. Actually I think USPS is quite cheap for international parcels. I heard they want to privatise the company, then we'll be screwed...

#33 2014-01-05 05:16:04

Don

I've mentioned shipito.com before. Sorry to plug them again, but they're the best way to go if you're shipping from the US as it's you that fills in the customs value and it's you that decides what type of shipping to use. If you keep it below the threshold value and name it in a way that's mildly off-putting to customs officials (i.e. 'personal used & worn cotton clothing') all you'll ever pay is the duty fee on the shipping (if you go above the threshold value for that).

#34 2014-01-05 05:25:39

chuck power

#35 2014-01-05 05:41:48

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#36 2014-01-05 09:08:47

Acton_Baby

^ woof, from my experience when I used myUs to ship from J.Press to the UK it worked out much cheaper than direct from J.Press.
However myUS's recent hike in shipping costs now makes it as expensive, so shipto.com looks like a very good option.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#37 2014-01-06 01:21:21

Tomiskinky

I bought a lovely pair of NOS weejuns for the wife just before Christmas, £65 inc postage. Imagine my surprise when they turned up and there was no charge - looked at the customs label - Used Shoes $20! Result. I didn't ask for the seller to do this, I have asked many times (politely) if sellers would mark down to avoid me getting hit too hard and usually it falls on deaf ears, so it was nice that someone did it without asking.

I have had sellers ship for less when I have pointed out that a similar item sent by another service has only been $xx so they are pretty good on that score, but likewise find the whole 'global shipping program' a bit of a rip off.

#38 2014-01-06 01:33:33

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

It's a rip-off alright, one that I am not willing to fund any longer, not when the custom charges are imposed arbitrarily with no correlation to the actual declared value of the goods. Hopefully, my getting out of this volatile market will have some positive effect, a couple of redundancies of custom officials, let the market decide! And I've decided I'm out!

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#39 2014-09-02 04:49:23

Mallard

I have ordered a shirt from the US and have yet to receive it. The tracking service says it's been delivered but I certainly haven't seen it and never got a note or anything through the door. This was 10 days ago now and I'm getting a little concerned. Does anyone know what the score is with customs? Do they contact you if they have a package?

Cheers

#40 2014-09-02 05:10:29

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

How much did it cost Mallard ?

If it is held at customs it should say that on the tracking service.What is its current location ?

If you have anything to pay you should receive a slip from the postman.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#41 2014-09-02 06:42:10

Mallard

#42 2014-09-02 06:49:51

Mallard

Just to add, has anyone found Customs have kept hold of a package for a while before delivering notice of charges to paid?

#43 2014-09-02 07:08:21

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#44 2014-09-02 07:22:30

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#45 2014-09-02 07:26:53

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Another gripe with eBay and their GSP is that it's almost impossible to get a refund from them when a sale falls through.

I recently cancelled a sale after I won the auction because the seller was a complete arsewipe with his aftersales service. He refunded me the price of the auction, but not eBay's import charge and postage fee, so I lost about $30.

Their website sends you around in circles on a wild goose chase to the point you just give up (which is their aim I assume?)

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#46 2014-09-02 07:31:50

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

The "eBay Alert" thread on here doesn't help things either as it often gets us creaming our pants and scrambling for the B.I.N button Ha!

Peter Cook

#47 2014-09-02 07:54:01

Mallard

#48 2014-09-03 04:21:59

chuck power

Can barely suppress my rage to type this - just arrived back from my hols to find a card from Parcelforce demanding £70.35 for the release of a watch from Japan - of which a whopping £13.24 is the'handling' fee .......... what's worse, the fucking thing actually arrived in the UK on 18/8 but the card wasn't sent until the 23/8 - presumably whilst some spotty twat took off his shoes and socks to determine how much ransom to charge me .... Man it makes me mad !!!!! mad

#49 2014-09-03 05:31:09

Harpo
The Best In The West

^ Yeah, that happened with a vintage sax I bought from the States - it took two days to get from Louisville, Kentucky to Heathrow and two weeks to get out of Heathrow!

I was fucking tamping.

Randy lower-class trifler

#50 2017-02-18 05:09:02

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Ever since I've been buying stuff from the US the £8 'handling charge' has been added to the bill when my parcel has been over the customs threshold. Those that were under the threshold and therefore not subject to VAT didn't attract any charge.

This morning I picked up a parcel from the local Royal Mail 'delivery' office which was subject to a customs bill of £11.24. This was two shirts exchanged for fit reasons and O'Connells had helpfully marked the parcel up as 'merchadise exchanged by retailer'. The Border Force i.e. HMRC had assessed the parcel as zero value but still applied the £8 handling charge + VAT =£11.24 ...... the shits! I queried this with the postal clerk and he said that they are charging every parcel regardless of whether they go over the VAT threshold or not.

Anyone else had this ?

I also noted the customs threshold has gone down to £15.

Never mind, this will all stop when we have free trade with the Americans  ...... roll

John Simons

Board footer