You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-30 00:45:33

shoefetishist

Are Bespoke shoes pure indulgence?

I love shoes with a passion,I have a collection of over 20 comprising mainly JL,EG and C&J.Now maybe its just me but I can wear an 8/8.5/9 all with no problems at all.Maybe a thinner sock on the 8 and a thicker sock on the 9.I have yet to find a particular last in my size that does not fit my foot,which leads me to my original question.Why the ossession with Bespoke shoes?I completely understand Bespoke suits,shirts etc...because if the fit isn't right the whole world sees it but with a shoe its different.Nobody knows if you have 2mm more width down there than what you really need.Also I realise that with Bespoke you can choose the leather,style etc..but mostly all I hear people banging on about is the fit.Am I wrong,is wearing a pair of bespoke that fit like the proverbially glove better than sex or are you better buying 4 pairs of RTW in your size that fit perfectly well.

#2 2006-03-30 11:38:49

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Re: Are Bespoke shoes pure indulgence?

Yes.

Shoes are not clothes. There are a lot more obstacles with acquiring a comfortable fit (especially with your first pair or two) because your feet expand and contract more (assuming all other bodily factors are normal) than the rest of you. It is also sometimes difficult to get a "terrific" fit. My point is, just because it is custom, do not assume you will automatically achieve nirvana in terms of fit. There are a few craftsman than can deliver this, others cannot. If you find one that does, you will be assured of a beautiful shoe with gives you support, comfort and improved dexterity.

Style. Sometimes a style is not right, in spite of the quality of the shoes made. it could be the taste level of the shoemaker or the culture which produced his approach to style just doesnt fit with yours. it doesnt make the shoes inferior, just inappropriate.

Also, your foot may be shaped in a way that the particualr maker cannot build an attractive upper around your foot (Has happened to me). If you have a large or wide (or both like me) foot, it will be hard to see what a shoe will look like on your foot from the slender small models many makers use to demonstrate their house style.

A lot of ready mades, even in stock specials, can provide just as much joy.

Although for the true shoe aficionado getting custom made shoes is a bit of a rush and an addiction.

Definitely an indulgence, definitely one I approve of.

#3 2006-03-30 12:04:45

padawan

FNB,

Who is your shoemaker?  Or who have you found to be the best for you?

#4 2006-03-31 12:09:01

Will

My taste may be too coarse, but I can only justify the cost of bespoke shoes for "important" pairs that I may wear at least twice a month.

The rest of the time I don't see enough difference between my bespoke and my Edward Greens. EG's 82 last looks more like a bespoke shoe than my Cleverley bespoke do.

Will's thoughts on classic men's clothing
http://www.asuitablewardrobe.net/

#5 2006-03-31 12:27:10

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#6 2006-03-31 15:14:04

Cruz Diez

It depends.

To some of us bespoke shoes are worth the high cost. Among the pros I've found: 1) I have wide feet but narrow heels.  With RTW shoes I always experience slippage at the heel. As a result, I get blisters and abrasions, plus socks wear out prematurely. Gets even worse with those sticky heel inserts supposed to correct the slippage problem. My bespoke shoes cling perfectly to my heels while having the needed space up front. 2) Built-in padded tongues. My sensitive insteps are most thankful to these pads in my bespoke shoes; aftermarket sticky pads are not nearly as comfortable and break the line of the shoes.  3) Bespoke shoes can accommodate little bumps and protrusions of your feet better, preventing the occurrence of painful abrasions and blisters. 4) Built-in orthopedics; not necessarily to treat deformities, but simple stuff like arch supports. 5) If you wear an F fitting like I do, RTW shoes usually don't look nearly as elegant as a bespoke version made by a master last maker. The last maker and clicker can incorporate many "tricks" to elongate the line. 6) Huge selection of top-quality leathers and linings that are not available in RTW. 7) Bespoke shoes can be adjusted at any time should any anatomical changes take place (e.g. I went through physical therapy to reduce pronation and some adjustments were made to my shoes after treatment). 8) Heels, welting, waist, and proportions of bespoke shoes from a master craftsman  look soooo much better and waaayyy more distinctive than RTW, IMO!

Edited to improve clarity and to add a couple more advantages tongue

Last edited by Cruz Diez (2006-03-31 21:52:30)

#7 2006-04-01 22:19:04

Teacher

#8 2006-04-02 00:15:37

Incroyable

Perhaps the qustion is wheter you consider yourself an aesthete or not smile

Jukebox Babe

Board footer