You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-30 09:54:52

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

English vs. American color perception

What is interesting about the English is their color perception. A shirt which has only a little brown or green in it can often become a "Brown" or "Green" shirt. For an average American, a shirt would need to have a predominance of those colors to qualify. Same holds for ties ad suits. A very little brown in the silk makes it a country tie!

#2 2010-01-30 14:26:19

Big Tony

Re: English vs. American color perception

Regarding footwear: you can get burgundy everywhere in North America, but it's rare in the UK. It doesn't even seem to be on the radar in the UK. In reverse, you can easily find tan/tobacco in the UK, but harder in N. America.

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#3 2010-01-30 15:22:50

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#4 2010-01-31 17:04:03

Sam Hober

David Hober
"Sam" is Samantha my daughter
Custom Made / Bespoke Ties
www.samhober.com

#5 2010-01-31 19:26:30

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#6 2010-02-01 00:32:25

Sam Hober

"....If the English observer is most likely to see pink first, it's pink even if there is brown or green in the pattern... "

That says quite a bit.

Next, why would an Englishman tend to see "XYZ" first?

A possible answer is that they have lots of classic color combinations and patterns and expect that if they see "X" it is "XYZ" Note no special meaning with my letters I am just speculating that they are used to certain color combinations and sometimes see what they think is there.

This holds true in other areas of life:

When I get into a taxi in Bangkok and give directions in Thai drivers from the countryside with little education typically need for me to repeat my directions half a dozen times they assume that I can't speak Thai.

While drivers that grew up in Bangkok with a bit more education and sophistication will understand me right away.

The point being that the drivers born in the countryside expect that I can't speak Thai and react accordingly while the Bangkok born drivers have a different background and expect that an American expat does speak Thai.

Speaking of backgrounds I wonder if well educated British see colors the same as those who have less education?

Maybe yes, maybe no as all classes probably have equal access to the mass media.

David Hober
"Sam" is Samantha my daughter
Custom Made / Bespoke Ties
www.samhober.com

#7 2010-02-01 01:32:21

Bishop of Briggs

Last edited by Bishop of Briggs (2010-02-01 01:33:17)

Contrary to lies of FNB and Woofboxer, I (and most of the other "Buff Bastards") have been banned from posting on this forum. There are only a few posters left so don't waste your time on here. This forum is dead and nobody cares.

#8 2010-02-01 01:47:19

Kingstonian

British approach to colour is a reflection of the landscape of these isles.

Black immigrants in 1950s used to favour very loud and bold colours that jarred. Once they were here a generation they started to tone it down.

#9 2010-02-01 01:54:09

Bishop of Briggs

Contrary to lies of FNB and Woofboxer, I (and most of the other "Buff Bastards") have been banned from posting on this forum. There are only a few posters left so don't waste your time on here. This forum is dead and nobody cares.

#10 2010-02-01 06:52:37

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#11 2010-02-01 12:46:32

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

All very interesting perspectives from FNB and the Bishop. 

The Italians are especially into the English look, particulary within their own borders and selling to fellow Italians.

When I first started working back in '87 in the engineering construction industry, the distinctions between town and country where evident very much in the workplace. Where I worked, the head office chaps always wore dark grey, or dark suits and plain shirts and very conservative ties.  The only people who wore cufflinks were the accountants or financial people, they were also the only ones who wore bold or pink/purple colours. Even now, I always feel somewhat out of place if I wear French cuffs to work, as if I am operating outside a social norm. Which is a shame, because I have some decent cuffs from the likes of Duchamp.  I also find myself making negative judgements on those who wear cufflinks in business meetings who are not in financial disciplines, or who are sporting rather ostentatious shirts who are not an accountant.

The project managers at site offices, to a man, always wore tweeds and brown shoes. They would never wear black shoes, always brown and brown suits, but mainly jackets. Green was permitted.  They were also the only ones who would occassionally sport a button down. Their ties were generally country golds, or similar.  They always seemed on the verge of being off to some small race course like Bangor on Dee, or seducing some local bar maid with the project's 'float' money.

Of course, the above sartorial culture is dead now. Its very few companies where such unwritten dress codes linger on.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#12 2010-02-01 15:20:33

Bishop of Briggs

#13 2010-02-01 15:30:53

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#14 2010-02-02 13:24:38

Grossgrain Silk

#15 2010-02-04 22:47:25

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#16 2010-04-27 21:34:07

ckav

We can see colour through english eye's beyond clothing. An early passion was english cars. My first, a MGA coupe was sprayed in british racing green. A school friend's uncle  was a Jaguar Le Mans raceworks mechanic. My brother copycatted with a roadster sporting a shaved head for greater compression and a early Austin Powers union jack that broke 4 crankshafts. 'Uncle' Nigel was heaven sent for syncronising SU carbs ( my brother slapping on oversized Webers) and coming up with treasures like 5 point H pattern racing harness  and close ratio gear sets for hill climbs. He also steadfatly refused to drive  or sit as passenger in my brother's ragtop, always slipping into mine and revealing arcane insights into double clutching non synchro gearboxes, breaking the rear end on Mullholland Drive and most important the joys of simply letting the engine work efficiently at the proper RPM and gear and enjoying the scenery. Nigel's niece finally told me years later why I was so favoured 'You resprayed your car a proper colour.'
My car's ancestors, carriages with formal livery, trade  and farm tell a similar story.
And if you want to spot someone facing disaster, paint 54MM lead miniatures and notice your competition's  officer sporting ruby red collar tabs instead of british scarlet.

Last edited by ckav (2010-04-27 21:36:02)

#17 2010-04-28 04:43:50

Kingstonian

Nobody has mentioned British tendency to sometimes go for deliberately ugly colours. Drab tattersalls, Harrods sludge green etc.. Italians, for instance, would tend to go for something a lot sharper.

However, because it is easily identifiable as British it becomes a fad for those who want to copy a British look. Hence the popularity of crappy Barbours and puffa jackets.

#18 2010-04-28 09:02:15

Jeeves
The Gentleman's Gentleman

#19 2010-04-28 09:08:44

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#20 2010-04-28 10:08:57

Big Tony

Last edited by Big Tony (2010-04-28 10:10:33)

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#21 2010-04-28 10:16:03

Kingstonian

#22 2010-04-28 12:55:37

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

English Tory-toffs often sport blue shirts and ties with yellow patterns.

Gold, mustard on red would repel anyone. Only the minds of Duchamp could come up with such a monstrosity.

Last edited by 4F Hepcat (2010-04-28 12:56:52)

#23 2010-04-28 14:44:19

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Further, English color prejudices seem almost child like in their stubbornness. My opinion is that the English refuse to wear colors that violate their color taboos. Americans will wear a lilac shirt if it is discounted enough.

#24 2010-04-29 12:50:53

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I don't know about that, there's plenty of English walking around with lilac shirts, and by lilac, I mean that very light pinkish colour. I've certainly owned one Gieves & Hawkes shirt of that type many moons ago. In fact I stand corrected, I've one in my wardrobe.

I think maybe English who work in the City are restrained and castrated by such colour rules, reinforced from their buggering school days at top public schools. Outside of such gilded walls, there is more freedom and less colour prejudice in clothes.

However, I certainly would never wear a pinstripe suit for work - outside of banking or accountancy, would be fraudulant in my opinion. Black shoes I never wear when visiting a supplier, I always go for brown shoes, just to let them know that I consider this a jolly out and that they are not worthy of the formal respect of a black oxford or gibson.

Its interesting watching all the politicians in the run up to the British elections, all the same, all sartorially vacant, no style or substance, most definitely signifying nothing.

#25 2010-04-29 13:33:21

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Board footer