You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-05 12:24:04

kc

Holliday & Brown (HB)

Anyone used HB before?

Is MTM an option?

Is the quality comparable to Charvet's MTM tie program.

Thanks in advance?

#2 2006-04-05 13:04:50

Marc Grayson

Re: Holliday & Brown (HB)

Charvet has a MTM program?  I have many Charvet ready-made ties, which I love, however unless you're exceedingly tall, or have specific tastes in patterns, MTM neckties may not be necessary. I'm 6'2" and their Charvet ties fit me fine.  I have bespoke ties from Marinella in Naples, however their exhorbitant prices are really hard to justify.  All in all, my favorite neckties in terms of material and construction are from Drakes, who makes Marinella's ties anyway.  Davide Cenci in New York discounts them 50% during sales.

Marc

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#3 2006-04-05 13:10:44

kc

Marc

Charvet visits Bergdorf twice a year with limited offerings. I'm 6'5", standard length ties are too short.

Thanks Marc

#4 2006-04-05 13:30:51

padawan

People have different preferences regarding width of the tie itself as well as thickness of lining.

I don't know what you can change with Charvet MTM but I do think that custom ties can be worth it.

How much does a custom Marinella run?

#5 2006-04-05 13:38:56

Marc Grayson

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#6 2006-04-05 17:13:03

CPal

I have to write a quick plug for Mulberrywood (.com).  I have no affiliation other than being a very satisfied customer.  Wide range of great silks, full custom options, and a price that can't be beat ($75-$85).  It's worth the "chance" to give them a try.  I've been very satisfied (I'm 5'5 so "regular" length ties are always too long).  They don't get the airplay on the other forums as that tends to be focused on CF (also nice but twice the cost and, in my mind comparable in quality) but I feel they're a great find.

#7 2006-04-05 17:36:42

Marc Grayson

Great find!  Love the name.  The ties and the name make my mouth water.

Marc

#8 2006-04-06 22:27:11

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#9 2006-04-07 01:37:08

Marc Grayson

I have corresponded with Michael Drake and he is a very nice guy and very customer oriented.  Answered my questions very promptly and I would say that my Drakes neckties are among my most favorite.  Charvet ties make a better dimple, however I think Drakes are slightly better constructed.

Marc

#10 2006-04-07 15:36:28

Will

Charvet's silks made into neckties to your specifications are about $150 USD with a keeper (as you know their neckties normally use the label as a keeper, which I find inadequate).

The obstacle is that you have to go to Paris to choose your silks.

Mulberrywood is even more reasonably priced for MTO neckties and is building his silk inventory.

Will's thoughts on classic men's clothing
http://www.asuitablewardrobe.net/

#11 2006-04-07 16:43:43

Marc Grayson

Charvet also do not self-tip customarily, while Drakes often does self-tip, at least if the retailer requests it.   Alan Flusser only sells self-tipped Drakes ties.  The ties that Drakes makes for Marinella are self-tipped, although the $250 custom made Marinella ties (Ouch!), which, presumably, Marinella makes, are not self-tipped.  Self-tipping isn't really of consequence, although some find it aesthetically pleasing.

Marc

#12 2006-04-07 18:50:39

kc

What's "self-tipping" and it's advantages?

#13 2006-04-07 19:03:05

Marc Grayson

#14 2006-04-07 19:04:50

Marc Grayson

#15 2006-04-07 19:09:39

kc

Last edited by kc (2006-04-07 19:10:12)

#16 2006-04-07 19:17:26

Marc Grayson

If you email Michael Drake about MTM, you should hear back from him.

www.drakes-london.com

#17 2006-04-07 19:21:53

Marc Grayson

I should also add that the self-tipped Marinella necktie is actually lined inside with the same pattern, which extends to the tip.

Marc

Board footer