You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-27 02:52:06

formby

The Tyranny of menswear fora/blogs...

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#2 2013-07-27 03:21:38

Philistine

Re: The Tyranny of menswear fora/blogs...

You know... if a bastion of veritable conservative "makers" as the WSJ publishes such a thing it might be somewhat relevant. Perhaps it's a good idea to dress rationally and appropriate at work  big_smile

Okay, tongue out of cheek: This is in essence my personal opion as well. WTF are a lot of these people doing "dressing up" for work? You dress up for a party or a theater play. Work clothes need to be sensible, they are usually not an accepted expression of one's indivdual "good" taste (barring some creative industries ofc). Dress your age, dress according to your work environment. If you work in an IT callcenter, don't walk in dressed in DB and expect oohhhhs and aahhhhs of admiration.

Rule of thumb: dress a smidgen nicer than your colleagues: If everyone dresses casually, wear a jeans/chino with an ironed shirt and good shoes. If everyone wears nice shirt and shoes, do the same, but insert a profesional suit in your rotation (perhaps no tie or square) etc. etc. etc. Do not overdo it. The goal is to be noticed as well dressed yet being able to grasp the culture of the place.

No, English is not my native tongue, so some odd idiom/grammar can happen.

#3 2013-07-27 06:51:03

TheExpandingMan

You know what this reminds me of?  Harley-Davidson owners.

I worked in the motorcycle industry for years; when I started out, we catered to motorcyclists.  These were people that really loved bikes and rode them a lot, putting up with the minor inconveniences of rain, bugs in the teeth and other motorists taking homicidal glee in trying to run them off the road.  It was fun stuff.  Then came the idea of the motorcycle as 'lifestyle accessory'; something you bought to look cool and ride to the coffee shop on sunny days with no chance of rain to meet up with a bunch of other like minded bozos.  This was a minor annoyance at first, but then these people started lumping themselves in with those of us who were actual riders.  Since they didn't really have the chops to actually ride with us, they started concentrating on buying stuff to decorate their bikes.  Pretty soon, every bike we sold had five thousand dollars worth of shitty chrome crap screwed or glued to it.  More useless decoration somehow came to mean more serious rider.

In their efforts to stand out as 'rugged individualists', they ended up all looking the same.  Same chrome shit, same leather vest with Boy Scout looking patches all over it, same fat old lady on the back.  They took something that was simple and fun and ruined it with a bunch of 'rules'.  The worst part was, at some point, the tables turned and these clowns began to be perceived as the 'real bikers' while those of us who just rode for fun were called the 'wanna-bes'.

Everything, whether it's motorcycles, punk rock or cocaine, is ruined when everyone else finds out how much fun it is.

#4 2013-07-27 08:20:30

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#5 2013-07-27 08:22:42

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#6 2013-07-27 10:32:28

Albion

This is a poignant thread. I am a Londoner and I remember in the mid-eighties that young men were wearing loafers without socks. I do not mean that they wore the cut-down socks for trainers: they had pushed their bare feet into loafers. They began rolling up their trousers a little, to reveal more naked ankle. They were heavily influenced by the television series "Miami Vice" in selecting their wardrobe. Many of the clothes were pastel shades, oversized jackets: a casual, relaxed Summer look. The look did not suit everyone, but many people sported it. So, wear what you want, but make sure that it suits you and is authentic. "Plastic people" is a club in London - it is not a lifestyle.

#7 2013-07-28 07:08:52

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Oh yes, the Miami Vice look in Birkenhead fun pubs - I remember it well!

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#8 2013-07-28 07:10:07

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#9 2013-07-28 08:30:34

Oldfruit1

why dressing for your own needs is better than listening to menswear gurus ..

many iGents would have you believe for instance that wearing a shirt with a pocket isn't necessary .. upsets balance ... and god knows whatever other reason. will from SW fame called the shirt pocket an 'abomination' ... I have to disagree after an episode a couple of days ago where a left shirt pocket saved my self respect ... I was doing various bits of business in the city and after lunch suddenly realised I had to go for a number 2 ... potential disaster ... I saw a decent enough hotel and walked in and made my way to the men's room stalls ... after finishing up I realised that I didn't fancy using their bog roll but had a packet of tissues luckily on me ... by keeping the packet in my top left shirt pocket I was able to handily use this facility .... my jacket was obviously hung on the inside of the door .. and you wouldn't really want to keep reaching into an expensive bespoke jacket during this delicate operation ... also you wouldn't be wearing a jacket in this situation (perhaps iGents do, who knows?). it was at this moment I thought fuck the 'rules' .. fuck the 'opinions' .. if it feels good and works for me .. then i'll do it. 

fruity

Last edited by Oldfruit1 (2013-07-28 08:32:29)

#10 2013-07-28 20:42:48

captainpreppy

Minor question: If you go about with unbuckled monkstraps, won't your shoes flop around on your feet, chafe your heel or even fall off? I've never owned a pair of monks. Could someone please enlighten me?

#11 2013-07-28 22:11:24

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Last edited by The_Shooman (2013-07-28 22:16:36)

#12 2013-07-28 22:43:44

captainpreppy

^But are you going to be walking with them unbuckled?

#13 2013-07-29 00:24:31

Sammy Ambrose

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#14 2013-07-29 01:13:58

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#15 2013-07-29 01:18:37

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#16 2013-07-29 10:14:01

Oldfruit1

ive got to confess that I have a pair of double monks .. C&J Seymour .. and I don't usually do the top buckle up smile however, in my defense I was doing this before the Igent crowd as the top buckle is usually a bit fiddly to do up and take off (a single monk usually is easier as they have a bigger buckle) and I cant be bothered with wasting time, also it provides a more looser fit rather like that of a loafer (but the shoe is still held well to the foot). I usually have a break on my trouser so nobody really notices the unbuckled strap unless im in full stride I would guess.

fruity

Last edited by Oldfruit1 (2013-07-29 10:14:36)

#17 2013-08-01 08:19:42

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#18 2013-08-01 09:53:56

Kingston1an

Who actually sees these people outside of clothing blogs?

Not me. I go into central London on a regular basis as well. Maybe they are all in trendy clubs that I do not frequent.

Most men do not give a toss about clothes. There are many I know who I rarely see with a collar - never mind a tie. Footwear or trainers is the order of the day - not shoes.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#19 2013-08-01 21:27:04

Jeff Reed

#20 2013-08-02 00:42:52

fxh
Big Down Under.

#21 2013-08-02 08:31:53

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#22 2014-05-27 22:14:49

fxh
Big Down Under.

Now its rare to see a youngster with a suit WITHOUT 2" cuffs

#23 2014-05-28 01:03:46

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

^I was actually suprised during my recent trip back to Blighty the lack of gangs of marauding feral youths, of course, there was still much sportswear and tracksuits being worn, but one thing I did notice, was young bearded nerdy types looking a bit like Woody Allen in 1977 in military M42's. They type who will go out and drink 8 pints of Stella and then have a chat about what books and music they are reading. The lack of threat at street level was most welcoming.

#24 2014-08-15 10:30:56

fxh
Big Down Under.

All your seasick sailors are rowing in home.........

Board footer