You are not logged in.

#51 2013-09-13 17:41:30

Worried Man

Re: I am after a new Shetland

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#52 2013-09-13 19:11:54

Don

#53 2013-09-13 23:57:51

Liam

"Plup." Jimmy Frost Nachtman.

#54 2013-09-14 08:09:21

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

I saw some Shetlands in M&S this morning not bad for £35 but they had the dreaded elbow patch.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#55 2013-09-14 10:07:06

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#56 2013-09-14 10:08:28

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#57 2013-09-14 10:18:26

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#58 2013-09-14 10:22:06

Liam

Not much luck in Inverness today. It's just not a very popular style here. A few nice heavier knits and the Highland House of Fraser assures me they'll be getting some bits and bobs from Shetland in the coming months and I could potentially order through them. The manager is going to call me next week and I will find out a bit more then.

#59 2013-09-14 10:42:24

Liam

#60 2013-09-14 11:00:59

stanshall

Thanks for the corrections Liam, I managed to watch about five minutes of it last night before passing out, but I did catch my fave scene with Otter being consoled in the back seat of the car!

I've been fixated on a very outre color offered by O'Connell's, Kiwi Green, and luckily they don't have my size.  I've figured out that I do better with darker sweaters but I still want an ecru and a powder blue and a light gray, none of which I actually need in the least.  But there's something about Shetlands in all their colors that acts on me and gets me feeling acquisitive, it's the same feeling I used to get when I would see a display case filled with Corgi cars as a kid.  I would bug out and try to come up with a rationale for getting them all, which of course never worked.

By the way for those in the US looking for a cabled Shetland crewneck sweater it seems the Andover Shop has some nice ones.

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#61 2013-09-15 00:37:31

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

This claret shetland is interesting, close up:

http://www.fransboonestore.com/new-arrivals/howlin-shorty-v-neck-brushed-shetland-claret-mix

I am going to take a trip the Frans Boone store, it's in a small village in Zeeland, about two hours drive most of it six meters below sea level, so I will time my trip when there isn't a hide tide, a full moon and a storm front moving in. They also have some interesting Alden shoes made with designs especially for this store and even Americans are ordering these online.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#62 2013-09-15 01:16:00

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

A few premium brands there Hep, better take plenty 'o' money and drop Mrs Hep off at the garden centre on the way there big_smile

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#63 2013-09-15 01:24:41

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Aye, I've already planned the mission to take place stealthily behind the facade of a visit to a colleague working on a foul chemical plant somewhere near Rotterdam on a Sunday morning!

Indeed, some premium brands and prices there, the green Incotex slacks are tempting, super expensive, but if in line with other Incotex pants I've purchased in the past, they will last for several years and utimately be worth it. The Aldens are crazy prices IMO, the Longwing in #8, €729!

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#64 2013-09-24 13:40:47

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

I was up town today and droped into the highland shop in great Russell street.
Can you beleive they are not selling Harley shetlands this year ?They have replaced them with Aran sweaters!
How long have Irish jumpers been a staple of the scottish highlands? What next a Shillelagh and some shamrock for st Andrews day.

#65 2013-09-24 13:54:24

Kingston1an

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#66 2013-09-24 14:29:48

the_slacker

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121179545659?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Saying NO! to Primark

#67 2013-10-14 03:43:50

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

I have found an online source for Shetlands never heard of them but they look pretty darn good.
I did mail them a couple of months ago and they promised to re stock and they have,
I am not going to post a link though because they only seem to have one
In each size but five different colours .I am expecting the “Bronze tweed” later this week so want to get sizing correct first.
I will keep you all updated.

#68 2013-10-14 04:02:11

Topstitcher

I have recently bought some Kosher Shetland wool & an old knitting pattern and have set my Mother In Law to work...

I have no intention of updating anybody about this project.

If you want a really nice jumper get one knitted by a dear old lovely old biddy.  The shops are full of shite.  My sweater will cost me a roast dinner at most.

What the world needs now is love, sweet love... And a jolly good kick up the harris.

#69 2013-10-14 04:13:42

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Joking aside that’s a damned fine idea Jim, its a shame Knitting doesn’t sit well with the modern lady.
My Grandmother was a prolific knitter and used to send me jumpers, scarfs, hats the lot.
Even a balaclava once, remembers them?
She was back there in the old country surrounded by statues of saints with a shawl over her head
Knitting furiously. I have got pictures of myself as a lad in the finest of Arans and Donegal’s all hand knitted.

#70 2013-10-14 04:28:34

Topstitcher

All joking aside, befriend those with the all the old skills while they are still with us.  Your Gran can knit but your Wife probably can't and your Daughter will probably not want to know.

Only my experience.

What the world needs now is love, sweet love... And a jolly good kick up the harris.

#71 2013-10-14 04:58:42

Thee Captain

I envy you Jim he he...

In the early/mid 70s my bonkers Auntie Trudie on the Czech/Hungarian side of the family used to knit me and my sis tank tops galore in various outrageous colours of the spectrum...
As I may have mentioned, I used to take a tape measure with me into that massive C & A on Oxford St  (where Primark is now Marble Arch end) to make sure my bell bottoms were as massive as possible so I feared nothing on the fashion front back then...save my Auntie's TTs...
Whilst she's stoppped knitting...she's still going strong, bless her....

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#72 2013-10-14 05:14:31

the_slacker

I remember buying some reasonable Shetlands from that C&A circa 1980.

Saying NO! to Primark

#73 2013-10-14 05:19:28

Thee Captain

C & A is still going in Europe isn't it?
I seem to recall a big sign in Paris not too long ago...?!?
I recall me and a few mates following Weller into the one by Oxford Circus around the same time Slacker...Weller was obviously following you initially by the sounds of it....It's a small world and no mistake...

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..

#74 2013-10-14 05:31:18

Topstitcher

There was still a C&A in Paris when I was last there. It was cold and so I bought a Navy sweatshirt which I later gave to a Lesbian who had split her knickers dancing and felt self conscious... She tied the sweatshirt around her waist like a schoolboy and carried on dancing in her pants...   I got a semi...

#75 2013-10-14 05:35:58

Thee Captain

Wonderful images all round Sir Jim...

Board footer