You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-03 11:44:04

AQG

Traditional American Style: Back Blade

Okay.  This post has damn little to to with TAS, or TradIvism or whatever, but I'm beginning to feel left out of the Inner Circle so I gratuitously used the forum's favorite thread moniker.

Today, I'm on about back blade.  You know, the skinny end of the tie.  Yes, I know that for you TradIvists both ends are skinny, but normal ties widen out a bit more in the front.

For about a year or so, I've been giving the ends of my tie a good yank and twist counter-clockwise after knotting to expose some back blade.  Sometimes this makes just an edge peek out or the whole thing or it even gets turned completely around.  This might sound like a complete affectation given that the tie never just comes out in this mock-sloppy state.  Nonetheless, I do it in the spirit of self-effacement.  As a country musician once crooned, "Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way."  So, I thought I'd better mar the perfection just a wee bit.

As it turns out, people have a difficult time dealing with the blight on my otherwise polished presentation.  Reactions range from those who just squint at the offending bit of backblade and blink as though doing so will make it go away, to those who will, without so much as a "by your leave," grab me tie and attempt to reorder the thing.  Alas, my assailants are typically not lisome ladies of easy virtue and I'm left feeling a trifle violated.

In the face of it, I refuse to give up this little affectation.  It suits me, but then a frequently wear bow ties, so I like a bit of disorder in my neckwear.  Anyone else yank their blade, or do all of you keep it safely hidden away?  Does the Trad-Ivy Man expose his backside?

#2 2008-07-03 12:13:19

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: Traditional American Style: Back Blade

Some sweet disorder in the dress, eh? I'm all for it.

#3 2014-07-20 04:46:42

fxh
Big Down Under.

Timely bump in light of current trends for igents.

#4 2014-07-20 07:12:34

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

A Questionable Gentleman, a great Southern gentleman and character, I wonder what his online presence is now?

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#5 2014-07-20 17:45:28

fxh
Big Down Under.

If I'm wearing a knitted square end narrow "casual" tie I never tidy up the back blade by tucking in or anything. I let it swing free like my schlong.

#6 2014-07-20 18:31:42

Worried Man

^
You tie that in a full windsor?  Or is it a fourskin-in-hand?

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#7 2014-07-21 02:32:03

fxh
Big Down Under.

Nothing fancy WM. Just tuck it in my sock.

#8 2014-07-21 15:52:47

stanshall

or just throw it over your shoulder like a Continental soldier

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

Board footer