You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-26 03:05:00

Bop

Jazz inspired artwork.

#2 2014-08-26 03:21:52

Harpo
The Best In The West

Re: Jazz inspired artwork.

I'm getting Hard Bop from the second one (and by that, I dont mean - I'm getting hard, Bop).

Randy lower-class trifler

#3 2014-08-26 05:28:28

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I'm picking up some dexterous guitar on the first painting: Joe Pass, or Django Reinhardt.

Definitely a string instrument.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#4 2014-08-26 08:26:16

Worried Man

I really like them both. It's hard for me to offer an interpretation, as I can hear Bon Jovi is blasting out of the warehouse at work.  I'm about to put a lid on that.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#5 2014-08-26 10:19:03

Bop

I blasted early Sun Ra constantly for about a week when I was doing these. It took me places

#6 2014-08-26 11:27:08

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Early Sun Ra will definitely take you to the right place, so too the Arkestra's later stuff, but only when in the Ellingtonia mood.

Was this digital work, or other medium?

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#7 2014-08-26 11:36:18

Bop

Id love to see these animated to some jazz so I could really reflect music over time.

#8 2014-08-26 11:51:03

Acton_Baby

^ not all, but most wink

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#9 2014-08-26 12:21:53

Worried Man

Bop, do you mind offering some insight into your method?  For instance, how long does it take you to knock out a piece like this?  Do you get it all down in one sitting, or do you revisit it over and over?  Do you start with a chord in your head and then allow music to lend additional inspiration, or do you get initial inspiration from the music and then work with the chordal elements of that particular music?  At what point, or how, do you arrive at the notion that the piece is complete?

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#10 2014-08-26 13:53:10

Bop

I pick my tonic hue. Which gives me a key. I normally then pick a chord, could be anything. A lot of these are minor chords, with added extensions like a or 7 or a 9. Simple jazz chords really.

Then I lay the colours down into a grid. This is a really a device I guess. It gives the space of the image a strong orderly rhythm like a drum beat or more likely a metronome, but the colours get laid down in a way they're around the beat not always clearly defined sitting in a box. I think this is what makes them look more natural than mechanical. I want order and chaos at the same time. And I think these kind of deliver that. The grid offers a simple fractal element to the pictures too. Which we respond to strongly, this is an inspiration I've mainly taken from Pollock's work.

Also the relationship of black to white in the image allows the colours to be sat into a complete spectrum of colour. With the black at the bottom and the white at the top. This balances everything out. And give a bold finish to the images.

These images can really be seen as the combination of Rothko's approach to colour and emotion (although he thought form was the most impprtant thing in his work), Mondrian's approach to abstraction and form, and Pollock's fractal work.

One image 'grid' can be constantly reworked with new colours, and forms built around allowing lots of varients. A day can produce about 4 images that rework eachother.

They're finished when I see them as balanced. I go back and look at them regularly and if I dont think they're working as images I'll scrap them or keep reworking them. Which digital art allows me to do very easily. The next step would be to screen print. I guess these are actually plans for physical pieces of artwork.

The jazz is on in the background constantly firing me on.

#11 2014-08-27 04:47:09

Harpo
The Best In The West

He had a go at doing one for Soft Shoulder Shuffle - but it came out looking like baby sick!

Seriously though Bop, I like your approach - it makes sense to me. Have you ever experienced synesthesia?

#12 2014-08-29 16:23:12

Bop

#13 2014-08-29 17:30:44

Worried Man

I really like Melody Hanging on Rhythm.

#14 2016-01-16 16:03:58

Bop

#15 2016-01-17 02:18:10

Harpo
The Best In The West

Looks like jazz to me, man!

Board footer