You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-21 11:00:52

Worried Man

The i-vyGent

So when it comes to those who post pictures in the ILSFT thread, what motivates you to post your outfits?  Does it come from some vane desire to be noticed?  Are you hoping to build self-esteem through positive comments?  Are you seeking constructive criticism on your outfit choices?  Do you think you're just the best Ivy dresser that ever walked the face of the earth and you want everyone to know it?  Do you hope some casting or model agent will stumble upon your image and recruit you for fame and fortune?  Do you simply want to share your take on Ivy style?

(I believe Stan coined the i-vyGent term)

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#2 2014-11-21 11:21:04

Tomiskinky

Re: The i-vyGent

Guess there is going to be a semblance of Peacocking, though it is also nice to have constructive criticism or advice from those who appreciate the style.
My scoot is more in demand for photo opportunities than I, sometimes I am jut lucky to be on board ;-)

#3 2014-11-21 11:23:49

Patrick

I do it because I can.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#4 2014-11-21 13:10:24

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#5 2014-11-21 13:45:25

The Absintheist

#6 2014-11-21 14:09:52

Worried Man

We do have "recent old Ivy finds" which is tantamount to "look what I've bought."

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#7 2014-11-21 14:18:25

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Yeah we do, but the spirit of that thread is in the rarity and wonder of the find
rather than "look how much money i have spent".

Which i think makes it less pretentious, don't you think ?

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#8 2014-11-21 14:32:06

Worried Man

I never really like to divulge how much I've spent on anything, unless it was a deal, and then I may gloat a bit.  But I'm playing devil's advocate and saying that whether the thread is called "look what I bought" or "recent Ivy finds" or "look what I have and you don't" is really splitting hairs.  "Look what I bought" doesn't mean you must show the price tag.  I think it should be renamed the "Gaze upon my newly acquired Ivy treasure and turn green with envy, you sorry sacks" thread. 

I guess it all depends on the spirit of the poster.  Overall, I think you're right.  We just like to share our finds.  I've learned a lot from that thread.  It's a good thread.  I like seeing what everyone else unearths.

#9 2014-11-21 14:33:11

Joey

That's a good question. I've only posted one photo of myself here. Since then, I have taken photos on a few occasions with the initial intent of sharing but I typically delete them out of embarrassment.

I tend to put a good amount of thought into what I wear with the ironic goal of looking care-free. I feel like I do a decent job of projecting nonchalant style to most of the immediate world, but photographing myself to display a supposedly careless style seems like it would betray the whole spirit of my dress.

On another level, I tend to be annoyed by over-peacocking. One popular so-called "Trad" message board was particularly irritating in this regard for the brief time I patronized it.

#10 2014-11-21 14:36:33

ZarJazz

To share my take on Ivy and also to keep an invaluable source of ideas and inspiration ticking over I guess.

#11 2014-11-21 14:38:35

Joey

On the topic of the "Look What I Bought!" concept, I imagine that issue is really on the personal level. No matter the intention of any sort of thread, there will be people who find some sort of point in bragging about how much money they can spend. I think it's obvious the point of that thread is to share rare and interesting artifacts from an era that has passed most of humanity by, and I think the majority of members here understand and respect that concept.

#12 2014-11-21 14:42:20

Worried Man

Personally, I enjoy seeing how others wear the style and offer their own spin on it.  That thread's served as a source of good inspiration for me over the years too.  It's nice to see the look in action, so to speak, as it's rare that I see another person dressed in Ivy in everyday life.  It's the style I love and naturally, I like seeing others wear it.  I think that gets at the heart of why I post on there - just an occasional glimpse into my spin on the look for that particular day.  And of course it's good to get positive reinforcement or constructive criticism, but it's just good to see the clothes being worn.

#13 2014-11-21 14:43:13

Joey

#14 2014-11-21 15:28:54

Patrick

When you get down to it a photo says more than a thousand words. Not that any of you guys write a thousand words.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#15 2014-11-21 15:33:35

chuck power

Last edited by chuck power (2014-11-21 15:38:54)

Who do you see? Who do you watch? Whose your leader? Which is your flock?

#16 2014-11-21 16:09:51

oxford cloth button down

#17 2014-11-21 16:34:20

Incognito

#18 2014-11-29 05:54:32

Thee Captain

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#19 2014-11-29 06:33:15

chuck power

Ah Captain, how good to have you back in our collective lives, albeit even if only in a cyber capacity ! Yes, siree Bob, they is indeed Repo US Army WW2 Service Shoes - about the third pair I've had - had to sell the others on due to size issues - have now decided to settle on a size down and wear the f**k out of them to get them broken in. You can get them here:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/us-ww2-service-boots.-russet-brown.-product,13968

Really like the look of your red wing version - probably lined with vicuna hair or summat I expect? To rich for my blood, being only a humble blue collar worker out here in thee provinces .... sad As for the cowboybootgate scandal - page 829 of the ILSFT thread ..... enjoy.

Who do you see? Who do you watch? Whose your leader? Which is your flock?

Board footer