You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-18 15:12:40

ZarJazz

Shoe Stretching, Fact or Fiction?

Digging around in the further reaches of my wardrobe I stumbled across a pair of old Florsheims that I tracked down many moons ago but was pained to get rid despite them being a tad to small.
My question is should I take them to my local cobbler to get stretched or is shoe stretching a load of old cobblers? What are other people's experience of this?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by ZarJazz (2014-12-18 15:13:26)

#2 2014-12-18 15:58:47

Tomiskinky

Re: Shoe Stretching, Fact or Fiction?

I tried doing my own but not convinced it worked as well as it could, though try were better width wise, still a touch short, but my stretchers only do with, plus I think those used at cobblers are better, I did use in conjunction with stretch spray so I think they do work, but only if a half size or so small?

#3 2014-12-18 16:18:17

ZarJazz

#4 2014-12-18 16:20:46

Tommy

What size are they if you do wanna get rid of them?  Tried home stretching with tiny success but I'm sure it's not great for shoes.

#5 2014-12-19 02:16:34

ZarJazz

They are a US 9.5 3xE Tommy.
I suspect there maybe some mislabeling because the left fits like the usual 3xE Florsheim but the right fits like a single E width. Very puzzling.
If this endevour doesn't indeed work they're yours Tommy.

While I'm here I forgot to mention said shoes are a megenta pink in a patent leather, does this make a difference to the shoe stretching process?

#6 2014-12-19 02:36:57

Tomiskinky

#7 2014-12-19 02:51:41

Yuca

My experience of shoe stretching is that, if the shoes fit perfectly you can guarantee they will stretch without any encouragement, whereas if they are too small it is impossible to get them to stretch.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#8 2014-12-19 03:43:41

Tomiskinky

#9 2014-12-19 04:08:43

chuck power

Have bought shoe stretchers off ebay in the past and they broke when any sort of pressure was exerted on them - so avoid. Had better results by stuffing a damp cloth wrapped around a shoe tree - worked on a couple of pairs of marginally too tight weejuns I purchased from the USA - not sure if I'd be prepared to try it of the shoes were mega expensive though !

Who do you see? Who do you watch? Whose your leader? Which is your flock?

#10 2014-12-19 05:19:40

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

The best thing is to store them with shoe trees in and, as Chuck says, wrap a cloth around the tree if you want to make any stretching effect. I think there's more chance of successfully stretching newly made shoes than old (deadstock) ones  as leathers elasticity decreases with age (just like peoples). Shoes that have been worn to any extent have already done most of their stretching. In any case the gains to be made are minimal as the size is largely governed by the last. I have read that cordovan shoes barely give at all so great care needs to be taken stretching them as they can split.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#11 2014-12-19 05:43:57

SenorBlues

I've had some luck with the old Sibley longwings I had stretched. They were still a bit snug on the width, but giving them an hour or two's walk when I get chance is definitely helping, and they're nearly there now.

The main things to note are 1. as Tom says, don't expect more than about a half size improvement, and 2. if your problem is length rather than width don't even bother. Several shoe widths are actually made on the same last, and just stitched tighter or looser, but different lengths are always different lasts, so there's no room for give in the first place.

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

#12 2014-12-19 14:23:09

ZarJazz

Well, thanks for the feedback fellas.
I left the right shoe with a cobbler who's stretching the shoe in question as I type.
£4.00.
In for a penny, in for a pound as they say. I'll update once I get it back and tried it on.

#13 2014-12-19 14:30:12

formby

I had a pair of Chelsea boots stretched years ago. It works.

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#14 2014-12-20 05:07:31

ZarJazz

UPDATE.
Just collected the shoe that was stretching over night at the cobblers and it seems to have worked.
There is now enough room in my shoe to make them sufficiently comfortable.
The stretch was minimal but bearing in mind the leather is approx. 40 plus years old it has stretched out - without cracks - enough for me.
Very pleased.
Again, thanks guys for the feedback, points of view and interest.

Board footer