You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-26 11:34:19

Bonesman

The Question of Sneakers

Good day, gentlemen,

I'm going to Spain in 8 weeks and want to treat myself to a pair of sneakers.

I've thought about Superga, have had bad experiences with Jack Ps and I'm telling myself there's nothing wrong with Chuck Taylors even though every second person seems to wear them.

Which would you choose?

#2 2015-03-26 11:45:36

YoungSoulRebel

Re: The Question of Sneakers

I'm a fan of Incontinence pants samba or gazelles, clean looking, comfy... But I'm sure it's just a holdover from my decade of being the only "Casual" in the USA haha.

#3 2015-03-26 12:21:56

DrYes

You got a jacket with 17.5" shoulders and less than 30" in length for sale or swap? PM me!

#4 2015-03-26 12:25:14

YoungSoulRebel

#5 2015-03-26 14:29:20

Yuca

Stan Smiths for me. But I wear them about once a year - desert boots are a far superior choice for super-casual, super, casual summer days.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#6 2015-03-26 14:34:29

Worried Man

^
I'm with you on the desert boot recommendation.  They get far more wear than my PF Flyers.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#7 2015-03-26 15:17:28

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#8 2015-03-26 17:40:43

stanshall

Incontinence pants sneakers have seriously declined ... they've all gone pear-shaped as you lot used to say

there are still a couple of models that appeal but the materials aren't good anymore ... rubber's featherweight, lots of plastic, glue is weak, etc. ....

and the real dealbreaker with Incontinence pants and Pumas, vis a vis some of the classics, is their continued use of synthetic vinyl linings

these horrible things crack, can't be fixed, do not breathe, and make your feet hot, and really can't be worn sockless ...

line the shoes with fabric textile, or leather, or leave them unlined, and the sneaks will be less desperately shite

plus Incontinence pants have done some insane things with some Ecstasy-inspired party monster disco shoes that are insane ... Jeremy Scott is the name of the culprit ....

but Gazelles, Campus, Stan Smith, Rod Laver, Country, and Superstar are all staples of the Late Ivy for those who were there for that transition ....

would be nice to have a nice pair of Country, white with green, all leather, with substantial, non-marshmallow quality, soles

the Gazelles bit the big one when the tongue was changed from suede to sharp plastic and then elongated so that it could dig into your ankles sharply with each step ....

but the silhouette is still amazing and conceivably the quality could rebound if the company wanted to make them less cheaply .....

Puma, with its rich history of wear by Pele, John Carlos, Lee Evans, Usain Bolt, Walt Frazier, Guillermo Vilas et al., still offers the suede classic, which stands the test of time lookswise but fails in that it still comes lined with awful polyvinyl .....

Vans, Converse, Jack Purcell, Sperry are still putting out canvas shoes that are serviceable, plus there are Dunlop Volley, Spring Court, Tretorn, Superga, Pony, PF Flyers, Keds, SeaVees ....

and many others, including boutique sneaks from new brands, including some nice Japanese stuff, but they are at least twice the price of the standard mass market sneakers

roots sneakers from Africa, Ethiopia if I recall ... which make me wish for some old Batas I loved ....

of course there are the great N e W B a L a N nc e running shoes, some made in the USA and UK even, and I like them but they're not Ivy though certainly preppy, still urban hipster, and slightly orthopedic and nerdy as well ....

N i K e  have recently issued some good old-school trail runners too ....

I am into sneakers a lot if you couldn't tell, this is just the tip of the iceberg

the last pairs I have bought include Ne w B a l a n ce USA, Vans, Converse All-Star, and some killer Pumas, finally, with textile linings, from a sneakerhead hip-hop kind of place ... word up

Last edited by stanshall (2015-03-26 17:47:02)

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#9 2015-03-26 17:40:56

Tommy

Sperry CVO, or Vans Authentic have a nice shape which I don't think has changed much since '66?

#10 2015-03-26 18:53:57

Runninggeez

Spring Courts, very french and very retro.

#11 2015-03-26 21:20:16

katon

Last edited by katon (2015-03-26 22:10:47)

#12 2015-03-27 04:39:24

stanshall

/\  those made-in-Germany Stan Smiths are  a step in the right direction but they're virtually sold out at this point, I dig them but probably would not have shelled out $200+ for them

/\  agree with Katon that the N e w B a l a n c e s do not jibe with Ivy, I never try to force that issue but always wear mine with jeans, tees, hoodies, shorts, in a post B-Boy stylee ....

sneakers and hoodies and t-shirts and jeans are how I personally divagate from the strict Ivy mode when necessary and when indicated .... which is often ....

but even when I'm wearing sneaks I'm still sporting the good old Brooks tie-back boxers so I've got that going for me .....

#13 2015-03-27 04:54:57

Thee Captain

If I was to really wear 'em again seriously, I'd have to go for comfort over style now mein hooves are knackered...

I know they're very flavour of the month at the mo but I'm with Stan...NB always seem nice n almost  awkward...but very comfy...

Incontinence pants have some great vintage lines of course which I still love.. but I'd say you're going for looks over support there..same with Converse/Vans of course...but they remain a timeless classic..
I've some Old Tretorn's too which I've been meaning to dig out...tho can't see me wearing again tbh..

I'd go with what you like regardless of whether it ticks the right boxes Bones... but then I'd say that about any item of apparel he he..

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#14 2015-03-27 05:26:00

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Since I see DBs for summer wear mentioned - don't make the same mistake I did and leave them in the car on a hot day. The crepe degrades and becomes sticky and stays that way.

#15 2015-03-27 05:42:57

Thee Captain

And Puma Clydes/States...naturally...

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..

#16 2015-03-27 08:13:01

stanshall

Last edited by stanshall (2015-03-27 13:31:04)

#17 2015-03-27 09:18:46

stanshall

#18 2015-03-27 10:08:30

ZarJazz

#19 2015-03-27 10:15:40

Thee Captain

#20 2015-03-27 10:17:48

Thee Captain

#21 2015-03-27 10:23:08

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#22 2015-03-27 10:29:36

Thee Captain

#23 2015-03-27 11:13:08

Tommy

#24 2015-03-27 12:05:08

Worried Man

^
I guess I'd sort of expect that.  Most sneakers I've worn over the past 20 years have had some issue rear its head relatively soon, usually, as Stan pointed out, glue giving way around the sidewall or the insole lifting or an eyelet getting blown out.  But there really is relatively little in the way of a plain no-frills white CVO on the market at the moment.

#25 2015-03-27 12:25:00

Tomiskinky

Keds are good WM, but soak up every odour!

My two-penneth is to look at the Walsh — Pennine Adder made in Bolton England, they had a brilliant ripple sole and are mentally light, perfect for walking around. Colours can be a bit mad, I have the grey and blue. Might look a touch modern but have hardly changed since they were launched in the 60s.

Board footer