You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-27 05:00:30

An Unseen Scene

An exclamation

As we come out of winter into spring I retired my shoes for the former season and got out those I wear when warmer.  I was at an event last night in London wearing Loake 771B derbys  for the first time this season,when a friend who was an early 70s Ivyist exclaimed 'Wow, Oxblood Ivy Plain Tops, I used to buy those from John Simons'.  It was interesting to hear the shoes described that way spontaneously. 

We then had a chat about Eel Pie Island club and how he and the Richmond Mods-Suedes of the era went underground, more subtle, almost conventional in that late 60s and for a few years onwards before marriage and careers took over.  He said they rejected the terms Mod or Suede and was just a relatively undefined, undescribed scene of slightly older Ivyists carrying on the modernist interests.

It then promoted a short chat with those with us as to the rest of my attire and why 'Ivy'.  (blue OCBD shirt, plum knitted tie, green-brown herringbone Italian wool unstructured sportcoat, flat front blue trousers and Jaeger light beige short mac with gun flap (looking like the 1966 Baracuta mac) and a sadly greying Steve McQueen style haircut.

Those around us were bemused and bored by this point which prompted another drink.

Let's spread the word through footwear.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2015-03-27 05:43:24)

Board footer