You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-28 16:31:20

Schmivy

Where to buy Ivy sack suit in London?

hi all,

hope you can help. i'm after a new suit for work for next week and it's time to take the plunge. which stockists, shops or dealers in London stock Ivy-style sack suits please? new or good quality vintage, as long as it's (preferably) wool and navy, and i can try it on first.

does mr simons have anything suitable in stock at the moment, for example?

thanks for your help!

#2 2015-09-28 17:16:14

Tommy

Re: Where to buy Ivy sack suit in London?

All the suits in JS I've seen recently have been darted, unless I'm wrong? If you're really lucky they may have something vintage, but it probably won't be cheap. I know Paul was getting some Olive J Press suits in, in the future? John did once try to sell me a three piece suit, that if it hadn't been pinstriped I might of gone with?

Hardy and Johnson have got some vintage listed on fleabay and fakebook and can also give you solid advice on fit, where you need to get it altered.

#3 2015-09-29 00:52:22

Yuca

I believe you can also arrange to go to H and J to see things in the flesh. (I think it's in Putney.)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#4 2015-09-29 00:59:35

Tomiskinky

Was gonna say H&J is probably your best bet, or head over to the Vintage Showrooms in Covent Garden, you'll pay premium there though if they have anything. Also, if you can get east try some of the vintage stores at the bagel end of Brick Lane and Cheshire St.

If time permits, your best friend is the internet - though I keep thinking I might try head down Cenci (TC knows this shop from days of it being in Covent Garden) as I think they might have a few items in but they don't show much online if anything.

#5 2015-09-29 02:14:15

Acton_Baby

Your options are limited in London if you want new:

Brooks Brothers  MTM (in the basement of the Regent Street store)  but upwards of £900 (it's the 'own make' Regent Fit jacket paired with the Madison fit trousers as a good starting point).
John Simons are getting a Southwick made 'sack' suit but again £850ish.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#6 2015-09-29 08:59:05

Schmivy

thank you for the recommendations and comments. a grand's out of my price range so it'll have to be vintage. does anyone have contact details (email or phone) for H&J please? might try cenci too as they have plenty of suits in at the moment apparently...

#7 2015-09-29 09:16:05

Chief Brody

Last edited by Chief Brody (2015-09-29 09:17:44)

#8 2015-09-29 10:30:27

Acton_Baby

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#9 2015-09-29 11:09:28

Sal
Ivyist At Large

You're going to struggle in London.  As much discussed on here, most people manage ok getting hold of shirts, shoes, ties and jackets but suits are the hard part.   

JS have done some ok suits but as noted they come darted.  The trousers are also too low-rised and tight for some on here (i.e. me). 

I find vintage hit and miss.  It depends on your tolerance for searching endlessly and, once you've found something, for putting up with small holes, stained linings and all the rest of it.

Haven't tried H&J yet though I live down the road from them.  I hear good things about them though.

I know you mentioned London only but I've had the most success taking a punt online with JPress and O'Connells.  Downside is that you'll pay import charges but you'll end up with a reasonable  sack in mint condition.

#10 2015-09-29 13:31:30

colin
Bright Light

Suits are a real nightmare - I suspect, sadly, your chance of getting one sorted for next week will be tricky.
Getting something natural shoulder in a fabric that doesn't stand out in a workplace (navy or grey), in the right size and condition is a big ask.

H&J are great, and could be a chance of finding something that does work, having said that. Also the Etsy shops are turning up some good stuff due to the sharp eyes of the those on here. Shipping will take a while.

Having undertaken a similar search on a low budget, it took about a two years to find something that worked! Maybe if you can hold fire and sit it out a little longer? Or, begrudgingly, get something cheap that isn't great in the meantime as a work suit?

I'm still searching myself.....

Happy searching!

#11 2015-09-30 03:07:50

Thee Captain

Yep - suits must be a MARE to find... quite glad I've never had a job where I've had to wear one...tho' the shame for me is that I really feel constricted by any kind of suit now..even a 3/2 jobbie...and as for a shirt n tie - which I love - I'm starting to think formal occasions aside....will I ever wear the look again?!?

Bon Chance Schmivy..

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

Board footer