You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-23 05:07:36

SenorBlues

Raglan shoulder tweak advice

It's time to get my heavy tweed overcoat out again. There are two annoying little bumps at the extremes of the raglan shoulders though, where I'd guess it's spent too long hanging on a narrow hanger in another life, which has stretched the material.

I'm wondering whether a tailor could just cut out the excess and re-seam the shoulder. Has anybody else had experience of this, before I lug it to the tailors, only to be told it can't be done?

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

#2 2015-11-23 11:47:45

plastic palm tree

Re: Raglan shoulder tweak advice

You might be able to get it wet and re-shape like one would a jumper that's gotten stretched out.  No harm done in getting it wet if that doesn't work, its a raincoat after all.

#3 2015-11-23 11:55:06

colin
Bright Light

Perhaps go over it with an iron after that? If it's heavy tweed I'm sure it could handle a bit of flattening with an iron. Then again I risk hand-washing all my vintage tweed jackets, so perhaps not the best advice from me....

#4 2015-11-23 14:00:40

Yuca

Can you share a photo? I don't really get it.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#5 2015-11-23 18:33:31

Worried Man

Maybe get a large wooden coat/suit hanger that has the (fast and) bulbous ends on it and then steam the shoulders well and let it hang to dry on the hanger???  Perhaps they'll sort of reshape themselves as they dry.  Or steam it and then wear it for a while?  I don't know, these are just tactics I'd try.  I'd try other things before taking it for serious surgery.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#6 2015-11-24 03:31:45

SenorBlues

Good advice chaps. Thanks. Will try steaming first.

Yuca, will stick a snap up when I get a minute. It's not really noticeable on a hanger, but the material gathers in small peaks at the shoulder seam when it's on.

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

#7 2015-11-24 03:36:28

Harpo
The Best In The West

Bulbous, also tapered.

Randy lower-class trifler

#8 2015-11-24 04:15:51

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

Board footer