You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-21 19:40:24

Joey

Benefits of the more expensive shoes?

I've been looking into getting a new pair of mocs lately. To be honest, I haven't even decided between camp mocs or ranger mocs or...

After heartbreakingly losing an eBay auction on a pair of Rancourt mocs, I've been looking at LL Bean for a more affordable option. Specifically, one of the models from the Signature line:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76485?feat=775-GN3&page=signature-jackman-blucher-moc-leather
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76486?feat=775-GN3&page=signature-jackman-ranger-moc-leather
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/89261?feat=775-GN3&page=men-s-signature-jackman-camp-moc

I know these and other cheaper options are not made of as high quality materials as something by Rancourt, but in general terms of comfort over the course of a day, is the extra $150 worth it to get a pair of Rancourts like this?

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/men-s/ranger-moc/classic-ranger-moc-11099.html

#2 2015-11-21 19:48:56

Worried Man

Re: Benefits of the more expensive shoes?

In my experience it's more a matter of craftsmanship and longevity.  As much as I hate to say it, my Rancourt pennies really aren't more comfortable than my cheap Bass Weejuns.  But you only have to glance at them and pick them up to see that they're far better shoes.  I expect they'll last far longer, and can be re-soled.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#3 2015-11-21 20:11:28

rmpmcdermott

I'm no expert here, but I think the extra $150 has less to do with comfort and more to do with the quality of the leather and how long it will last just like WM said. I've not necessarily thought expensive shoes were more comfortable. So you're paying for not having to buy another pair in a couple years.

To be, or not to be; that is the bare bodkin. - Mark Twain

#4 2015-11-21 20:31:17

Joey

That's what I thought. To me, this is actually good news. My Rancourts aren't particularly comfortable compared to any of my other shoes.

Not to mention with moccasins I will probably go sockless in warmer weather, which I know deteriorates shoes more quickly. It'd be a shame to drop $250 on a pair of Rancourts only to rot the insides in a couple seasons...

I think I'll plan on the LL Bean ones... The Blucher Mocs look cool, yeah?

#5 2015-11-21 20:38:42

rmpmcdermott

#6 2015-11-22 00:45:23

Bop

Personally with a dress shoe it is worth buying the best I can afford..a recreational shoe I some feel there's little point going all out, my camp mocs...which arguably are shit for walking in damp conditions..are the ll bean ones..theyve last very well, the leather has some abrasions that may have given character to better leather but on lower grade leather look pretty crappy. But ultimately these are beater shoes for me..however I do still feel like I want a certain level of quality and the bean certainly offered that.

#7 2015-11-22 02:10:42

Chief Brody

Bop has it spot-on. "Sport shoes" should not be a burden! Spending loads of wonga on shoes that I then am too afraid to wear and enjoy is no fun at all... I have been buying lower tier shoes lately and really enjoying them. With the Rangers and camp Mocs I recommend going a half aize up and sticking a decent insole in them as they are facking shite walking in. Zero support. Also recommend the Eastland Yarmouth model. Sierra Trading post has two colorways up right now for a pittance.

#8 2015-11-22 03:22:07

Bop

Yeah..good point..policeman's heel abounds, also you might want to wear a thicker sock this time of year..

#9 2015-11-22 10:15:28

Oliver

My Quoddy Mocs absolutely destroy my feet and I don't know what to do about them. I dig the look a lot (especially the Dawson Mocs with hand-sewn Horween Chromepak leather sole) but they leave my feet a bloody mess after a couple of hours of leisurely walking. I've got blisters all over my ankles and I split my toe open in them a couple of days ago, just walking around casually. I had to wrap my entire tow in gauze cause band aids were too painful (still had friction against shoe). They seem to fit okay in terms of size so I'm not sure what to do. It sucks because I've got at least 2-3 pairs of Quoddy Mocs that I just can't ever wear. I wish it was just a matter of breaking them in and perhaps it is, but I'm too much of a wimp to go through it.

#10 2015-11-22 10:23:42

Joey

#11 2015-11-22 10:25:25

rmpmcdermott

#12 2015-11-22 10:25:55

Joey

There's a new LL Bean brick-and-mortar near my parents house, so hopefully I'll get a chance to try these out in person.

#13 2015-11-23 09:46:31

Leer R.

+1 on spending more money on dress shoes. I myself wouldn't go higher than LL Bean for leisure shoes... Although I thought about getting Quoddy Boat shoes at some point... They can be bought via Zalando here now... Are they so fucking stiff??? =-O

Last edited by Leer R. (2015-11-23 09:47:48)

#14 2015-11-23 10:07:21

Acton_Baby

I'm with most of the comments here, they are 'beater shoes' and it's not worth spending too much. The online Bass Factory Outlet is always worth a look ( time it right with Black Friday Sales approaching and you could get a huge discount and/or multiple pairs for your hard earned cash.

If you've got the desire and a deep wallet at least go for something by a maker that has a reputation for factory refurbs/repairs.
Quoddy have been getting a poor rep for this recently, where as Russell Moccsasin and Rancourt do amazing refurb work on their own products.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#15 2015-11-23 19:07:49

Joey

I went to the brick and mortar LL Bean yesterday, and was certainly not disappointed. It was a good store experience, and I got a chance to look at the moccasins. They're all lined and I don't think I'd want to go sockless in them, but I really dug the blucher mocs so I got a pair. Been really comfortable wearing them today- they have more support than my Rancourts.

The leather laces look really nice but I might try switching them out for the included taslan laces as I think they might stay tied better.

Biggest difference I can tell between the Rancourt construction and the LL Bean construction (bearing in mind they are different colors and slightly different styles) is the sole. Both have the standard camp sole but the Rancourt pair has much more definition. The LL Bean ones are also glued, I'm sure.

Overall I think I definitely made a good decision. Despite not being as well constructed as the Rancourts, these mocs are actually more comfortable.

Worthy of note: my Rancourt mocs are a size 12 and are quite large- I can only wear them with thick wool socks. When I tried on a few LL Bean options, it became apparent that a 12 would actually be a bit too tight. I ended up taking a size 13. Of course, the Bean mocs have laces while my Rancourt mocs are Venetian.

Next summer, I'm planning on getting a pair of camp mocs to replace my worn-out boat shoes, but I don't think I'll be getting them from LL Bean. As good as my first impressions have been, I need something unlined for a warm-weather shoe.

#16 2015-11-24 08:03:07

Acton_Baby

if anyone is a US Size10, a bit of a bargain

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141832873942

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

Board footer