You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Global Shipping Program is killing eBay (or me)

#1 2016-02-01 07:29:23

SenorBlues

Global Shipping Program is killing eBay (or me)

Has anybody else noticed this? As more and more sellers are taking the easy option of checking the 'let eBay handle shipping' box, so more and more low value items are getting an iniquitous $18+ overseas shipping charge slapped on them. In many cases I'm finding the shipping coming out double or treble the cost of the item for sale.

If this continues Etsy are going to be rubbing their hands.

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

#2 2016-02-01 08:21:44

Tomiskinky

Re: Global Shipping Program is killing eBay (or me)

Yup, it's a total ballache plus the suggested postage charges are a joke, have contacted sellers about this and being told eBay sets the cost - utterly ridiculous.

#3 2016-02-01 08:28:58

Oliver

From what little experience I've had, it's been a huge convenience for sellers and I understand why everyone's opting in. eBay provides you with a label to print out so that you can avoid the post office altogether and when payment is typically held pending receipt from the buyer based on tracking details, you end up getting your money much quicker as they pay out when it reaches their int'l shipping center, which usually takes days whereas overseas transit could take weeks otherwise.

#4 2016-02-01 08:41:02

Tomiskinky

I have never had a payment held when sending an item, inland or overseas? Personally think it's a rip off especially as most of us who purchase from the US are doing so because items are not available here. It seems US postal is considerably cheaper than our Royal Mail so maybe you guys think it's fair for the times you buy from our end?

Last edited by Tomiskinky (2016-02-01 09:18:29)

#5 2016-02-01 08:45:13

Oliver

I'm not saying it's fair, I'm just saying it's a significantly added convenience for sellers. eBay always holds my payments until tracking confirms delivery btw.

#6 2016-02-01 08:51:36

SenorBlues

From what I can see, the value's not too bad for more expensive items, but it doesn't scale down, so smaller items are getting ridiculous tariffs. I haven't seen anything, even small $1-10 lightweight items, priced under $18 shipping.

And what makes it worse, I've read that sellers can't see these fees their side, so are completely unaware just how much money eBay is creaming in off their backs.

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

#7 2016-02-01 09:22:23

Meehawl MacMurrachu

Yes sellers can't see the fees with that program
It is possible though to contact the seller and tell them what your country is - then (assuming they're ok with that) they can maintain exceptions to the global shipment programme (opt out basically for that country) for that sale and then you can agree a postage cost
I did that so I could combine some items
But depends on the seller because as Oli mentioned it does kind of make it easier on the seller side not to have to get quotes for shipping all the time to various countries.
I've shipped stuff to Australia and Japan lately which I'd have probably not done before.

#8 2016-02-01 09:46:32

Tomiskinky

Well as long as buyers aren't putting sellers out!! Jesus. I've never had a an issue myself with spending a few minutes going online to get a postage estimate for an overseas buyer. Seems that it's down to laziness over being a conscientious seller then - what next, they come over, wrap it and put the label on - god forbid you have to actually do something! hahaha.

#9 2016-02-01 10:45:17

Worried Man

I absolutely hate Ebay for selling items.  I think Etsy's platform is far more user-friendly for sellers than Ebay.  However, I purchase far more on Ebay than Etsy, and I feel Ebay is somehow easier to browse as a shopper.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#10 2016-02-02 03:59:56

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

I'm probably alone in this, but stuff I've ordered using the GSP has worked out fine. It's been reasonable shipping + import VAT and arrived without any hassle or delay with customs.

#11 2016-02-02 04:11:20

Acton_Baby

My most recent transaction had over half the estimated postage refunded as the seller queried the eBay 'global shipping' charges on my behalf.
It would appear that as a buyer you can't query the 'global shipping' charges but the seller can.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#12 2016-02-02 05:05:36

Harpo
The Best In The West

Randy lower-class trifler

#13 2016-02-02 05:34:18

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Paying import VAT is fine by me (so annoying when they deliver without charging it and I have to go through the rigmarole of contacting customs to declare my imports), but what always riled me is paying VAT if buying from a private seller. WTF is that racket about?

Last edited by Moose Maclennan (2016-02-02 05:34:35)

#14 2016-02-02 06:01:48

Tomiskinky

#15 2016-02-02 06:42:52

Harpo
The Best In The West

I got a dark brown pair - very versatile, and a blue/green pair - not very versatile at all! But those were the only ones that were my size, and I knew the fit exactly, due to my having bought a pair of dark olives from Zach a few years ago. They're great strides as you know - the perfect rise and taper.

#16 2016-02-02 07:18:09

Tomiskinky

He has a lot in the smaller sizes of Dee Cees too etc, I didn't go for the greens - not sure what I would wear them with. By the way, how were those brown Sta Prest?

#17 2016-02-02 07:49:29

Harpo
The Best In The West

Spot on mate, thanks. They're more of a 5-pocket than a formal trouser like the Lees, but they're great - good fit too. I've got another pair of vintage Levi Sta Prest of a similar vintage as the Lees (early to mid 60s?), and they're cut in a very similar way, totally unlike the brown ones you sold me. I think the variety and style of Levi Sta Prest is pretty vast.

#18 2016-02-02 08:09:57

Tomiskinky

Sweet, wearing my pale green ones today (currently in ltd. 501s for painting thought), if they had been a 31 and not a 30 I could have worn then, as you say - 5 pockets not trousers, that's what I was lacking and the Lees filled that gap a treat.

#19 2017-01-13 02:37:00

Tomiskinky

Is this actually getting more ridiculous?

Saw a rather nice shirt which costs US $29.99 (Approximately £24.54) but the delivery is US $52.75 (approx. £43.17)!!! I mean, it's a shirt, this really is taking the proverbial isn't it? Are they shipping it in a lead box?

#20 2017-01-13 02:56:07

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

These are the reasons, plus the arbitrary imposition of ridiculous import duties, why I have given up on ebay as a lost cause.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#21 2017-01-13 07:58:29

Patrick

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#22 2017-01-13 10:12:25

Tomiskinky

See, Patrick has the right idea - but I think with eBay introducing the GSP it seems to auto generate a price - I price all my sales based on the product, so a shirt is around £3.50 ($4.25) around the uk, I will add on the cost of a mailing envelope/bag as I have to buy that and they have always seemed the best lightweight secure option for an item of clothing - so a total of £4.50.

If I have to post overseas I ask the bidder to contact me, I will weigh the item and reply with a cost. Most sellers also seem duty bound to put the full cost of the item - seriously, UK Customs is not going to send someone over and sue your ass for $20, again Patrick has the right idea, just say Used Clothing and put $20, send the item signed for or tracked whatever so the buyer knows it's on the way.

Oliver mentioned early on this thread about money being held, I have never had any money held - I only post the item when I get an alert from PayPal saying I have received them, this whole it makes life easier not going to the post office seem a bit bloody selfish to me, as a seller I do my best to send items for the most cost effective price I can, not what makes my life easier - imaging if we did that in our everyday jobs, mind you i'm sure plenty of folk do.

Yay for all the sellers who have the same ethics as Patric.

#23 2017-01-13 10:21:27

Patrick

There are post offices and then there are post offices. I am lucky to live in a small town and the ladies at my post office know me well and are very helpful. Hell, they even call me up to tell me something's arrived sometimes.

When I lived in Torrington, Conn.. which is a small city, the post office experience was quite different. Long lines and a lower level of competence, to be tactful about it. Also the worst parking lot ever designed, with a giant employee area blocked off and hardly any cars in it, and a small one for the plebes, complete with tank traps in the pavement and a general sense of despair.

Last edited by Patrick (2017-01-13 10:21:46)

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Global Shipping Program is killing eBay (or me)

Board footer