You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-31 08:29:20

An Unseen Scene

Formal trousers - where now?

hi everyone,

for years I have relied on M&S in UK for decent quality formal trousers.   However sadly their quality seems to be diving towards the bottom with poor fabrics, inconsistent cuts on everything and ever more polyester entering the mix.

I'll take a look later in the week but where now for decent, basic formal trousers that can carry a decent crease in the classic colours.   These are trousers that will be worn on trains, meetings, get packed and unpacked regularly during travel throughout the week.  Dependent on fabric and crease one set generally looks as good as another so there's a limit on how much it is sensible to pay when they will inevitably not last that long.

Thoughts welcome - in store or online is fine.

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2016-01-31 08:30:52)

#2 2016-01-31 09:35:22

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: Formal trousers - where now?

If you can get it in the UK, the German brand Eduard Dressler is decent for work trousers and the like. I've been wearing their flannels exclusively for work this winter, including a few extended business trips and they hold-up more than well. I went a size up and then tailored them to suit.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#3 2016-01-31 09:46:37

An Unseen Scene

Thanks for that.  I'll check them.

Peter Christian read okay - not used them so any views around on their trousers?

#4 2016-02-02 04:38:39

Leer R.

+1 on Dressler.

I have a friend that swears on Peter Christian - he likes that stuff very much. I only know his moleskin suits and they seem pretty nice...

Did you think about Tyrwhitt? The classic trousers do have a more than decent rise but sure have to be tapered... The slim fits should have a decent rice, too. My chinos are 12,5" front rise. Even if they went down (which has been reported) they shouldn't be less than 11,5"... Quality is good for the price.

#5 2016-02-02 17:34:33

An Unseen Scene

I had forgotten Tyrwhitt.  I'll check.  Thanks.

#6 2018-03-13 14:25:56

An Unseen Scene

I'm back on this subject - M&S has ever more man made fabrics, many companies are shaping their trousers in ever more eccentric shape - ultra slim/tapered/low 'hipster spiv'.  I'm going to check the rounds and see what's about.  Any update on good work/formal trousers?

#7 2018-03-13 16:59:40

Classic

Dressler, Hiltl, Rota

Board footer