You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-23 14:23:55

Beestonplace

C&J: Shoes for longer walks in town (3-4 hours)

Shooey and all the others: Which model of C/Js current range would be suitable for longish walks across London (from mayfair to marylebone to kensington and back via pimlico)?

Rubber / Dainite soles?
Suede instead of calf?
Half-ankle boots?

Please help.

The worst I did was a very long walk through rainy Geneva, in Alden cordo monks. The soles were soaked, and my feet were boiling as the leather does not breathe properly. Horror.

I LOVE , this foum

#2 2016-04-24 00:32:45

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: C&J: Shoes for longer walks in town (3-4 hours)

Any of the Dainite soles one have the constitution to get you there and back again in all weathers.

I've both the Brecon and Chepstow chukka boots and they will last forever. The Brecon must be from the mid-1990s. Also the Coniston, although a boot, looks smart and like an oxford shoe. You can wear them in the office, or with smart pants no problem. They are the boot equivalent of a man for all seasons. The Grasmere is pretty robust too. The Cardigan 4 looks intriguing in suede, but I have no experience of these.

The Aldens, despite all the pretentions and accolades are simply not up to it. They are shoes built for a people who travel in cars to work in the winter. They are not made for serious pounding across town in all weather conditions. I have some of their water locked soles and even crepe soles and they really are a summer shoe for me, including the trad saddle oxford which I have heard many commentators call a winter shoe.

It doesn't matter how good the shoe, leather soles are not a good option in places like The Netherlands and UK where rain is likely. They are going to come apart, or become drenched and unable to breath. The Dainite soles are not going to breath either, but you know where you stand.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#3 2016-04-24 00:40:15

Beestonplace

Good point on breathing - I love my single soled C&J Audley all year round, and wearing rubber soles would be something will have to get used to.

WHat is your view on commando soles?

I LOVE , this foum

#4 2016-04-24 00:45:19

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Never around town.

#5 2016-04-24 04:36:33

Beestonplace

Ok and if we forget C&J for a while? Tods/Hogans?

I LOVE , this foum

#6 2016-04-24 07:21:49

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Spluttering in me tea! Don't they make slippers for driving in?

#7 2016-04-24 08:05:23

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I can't say what their like for a walking shoe but maybe worth a look if your in town Beeston?

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2016/03/gaziano-girling-x-j-fitzpatrick-footwear-sample-sale-2016.html

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#8 2016-04-24 11:01:12

Beestonplace

Thanks but are they really making walking shoes/boots??

I LOVE , this foum

#9 2016-04-26 22:11:26

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Dunno.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#10 2016-04-27 00:48:47

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Reinhard Frans is the Dutch version of G&G:

http://reinhardfrans.nl/man-collection.html

As they answered my question in the store "They're designed in The Netherlands and made in Bucharest......" My daughter asked "Where's that?" And my missus stated "Romania." Actually, the price is about right €150, alright for a pair of the Barcelona or Vienna suede ones that you could sport to they disintegrating for knocking around in.

They're cheap, cheery and overdesigned - they've clearly done their market and demographic homework well and will go down a treat over here.

#11 2016-04-27 03:15:49

Beestonplace

ok back to topic

I LOVE , this foum

#12 2016-04-27 08:10:30

Johnny's Lobbster

I've been looking at C&J loafers with rubber soles recently and wanted to asked what the forum thinks about them. Kind of want a dressier alternative to boat shoes that can also be worn sockless but I fear that leather soles don't take gravel and shitty mediterranean roads too well. Main purpose are holidays and city trips. My local shop has the Harvard but unfortunately they only stock the cavalary calf version, strange leather, a black calf leather, don't like for casual, and an ugly dark brown suede version. They also have the Sydney in a dark brown leather but they seems very elegant.

@Beeston

Take a look at the Ashdown/Brecon. I have both for walking and they are very nice plus they've held up very well so far. The 341 is also more elegant than the 325.

#13 2016-04-27 12:10:08

Beestonplace

Cavalry calf = patent leather?!

I LOVE , this foum

#14 2016-04-27 12:41:39

Johnny's Lobbster

Looked like it. It's a nice brugundy and the leather is very stiff but it already had some marks. Just checked and they don't have them any more. I suppose they werde mostly made for an American audience as they had a bit of an Alden vibe.

#15 2016-04-27 13:16:36

Beestonplace

Horrible

I LOVE , this foum

#16 2016-04-28 09:08:35

Yuca

I've said this before but I will repeat for BP's and anyone else's benefit - I live in the UK year round, work in all parts of my city, occasionally have a social life, don't drive and avoid buses when possible. That's a lot of walking - and I always wear leather soles (except in severe rain or snow, in which case boots come into play, or summer when I wear crepe soles). In other words: if it's too wet for leather soles then it's too wet for leather shoes.

I've been doing this for years now. For walking a lot then sturdy lace ups are essential (I prefer double soles) - manmade soles are neither essential nor desirable. (Except on boots perhaps.)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#17 2016-04-28 09:12:02

Yuca

#18 2016-04-28 10:32:47

Beestonplace

So, my research so far:

- Chukka-boots height
- Suede? For better breathability / against: doesnt like rain
- leather sole but augmented with rubber bits / to avoid slipping on London pavements

I LOVE , this foum

#19 2016-04-28 10:38:07

Beestonplace

- slightly wider fit, to accomodate swollen feet / think socks

I LOVE , this foum

#20 2016-04-28 11:12:09

Yuca

I would say leather uppers and sole, double sole, lace ups, and get a cobbler to put some metal cleats on the front ends of the soles to avoid it wearing down quickly. Fine for all but the wettest or hottest of weathers (in which case, boots for the former and suede for the latter).

Last edited by Yuca (2016-04-28 11:12:29)

#21 2016-05-01 13:20:01

Beestonplace

http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/chukka-darkbrown-d

I LOVE , this foum

#22 2016-11-06 05:46:24

Beestonplace

I have now bought the old school over the ankle Tods suede boot with rubber soles. Worked for me many years ago, tried & tested.

I LOVE , this foum

#23 2016-11-06 09:21:40

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The Hepcat was in town on Friday evening and after four superb near hour long cigars much wine and port I had to leave for home and having missed the last tram and being too drunk to coordinate a taxi on my own headed into the night, a long walk, which wasn't helped by taking a wrong turn on a country pathway that took me along to the next village. It was raining too and with a Gieves & Hawkes navy zipper jacket that was leaking into my T&A white collared shirt and cuffs which is now quite ruined.

I even stumbled across a dogging arena in the night and what struck me as strange was the lack of cars on the main road out of the Hague. It all had a sinister atmosphere, the disconnect between the city and suburbs, something is not quite right here methinks. The type of night you could get accosted by a John Wayne Gacy type. And it was quiet too quiet, but I had on a pair of black C&J's chukka's with Dainite soul from the mid 1990s, so I knew I would make it home alright.

The moral of the story is: C&J's will not let you down even under difficult circumstances. The other thing I drew from the night's events that a nicotine high from several excellent quality cigars if you are not use to them, lasts for the whole of next day, as does the tobacco taste.

#24 2016-11-06 09:34:33

Beestonplace

Heppy please do me a favour and don't walk around town alone, especially when drunk. That is not good.

I LOVE , this foum

#25 2016-11-06 11:39:06

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

Board footer