You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-14 01:13:36

Bop

John Simons Shirts

Are any of you broader chaps finding that the JS shirts are getting tighter and tighter under the chest? The new popover I got is really not cut right in my view and I had notice a bit of an issue from the 6 or so madras I have got some clearly are a lot more nipped through the chest than others..the ocbds and cord ones Ive bought are fine in XXL

#2 2016-08-14 02:08:46

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: John Simons Shirts

I can't really make an informed reply Bop except that I took my 15 year old nephew in there yesterday, he likes his clothes spray-on tight. We bought one of the JS flannel shirts in Medium, he's a 42 chest, very close fitting. He thought it was dope.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#3 2016-08-14 03:31:28

Bop

I kind of wonder if the grading was right on the larger sizes, but the chests are so variable Im not sure thats the case.. I played about with going up a size but still the chest was slim where the rest of the shirt was clearly oversized..annoying because JS shirt are a staple of the wardrobe.

Sorry should make it clear this is on the newest patch of madras and popovers..havent tried the flannels but its all ok on everything else

Last edited by Bop (2016-08-14 03:37:55)

#4 2016-08-14 04:01:58

Kingston1an

XL popover was OK for a size 17 to 17.5. Paul also offered a try on, which I did not bother with.

Not billowy though. Short sleeves were longer than many.

My main gripe about his madras was the new colour selections are poor.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#5 2016-08-14 04:04:49

McGeorge Bundyburger

#6 2016-08-17 02:56:46

Kingston1an

Split yoke was not a feature on Mr. Simons shirts in the 1960s.

Does not work well on Madras shirts anyway. Should be dropped.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#7 2016-08-17 04:32:22

RobbieB

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#8 2016-08-17 05:17:35

MCM Geography Teacher

No use crying over split yoke

'Bill Murden becomes the hero of the day as he rescues a confused duck.'

#9 2021-12-03 08:44:56

A Fine Sadness

Interesting observations.  I wouldn't like to see this XL shrink in the wash (which will be gentle: fifteen minutes only).  It's only the second JS shirt I've bothered with (a bit of an impulse buy on Ebay).  The first, a cord popover, I did not get on with.  I don't know (in fact, I have no idea) what must have been happening with the manufacturing process.  But this sometimes happens.  Then, a bit of weight gain here, a little loss there - it can make a difference.  Thank heaven for Makers - still fitting after all these years, even if I do have to leave about three top buttons open.
Dieting now.

#10 2022-01-17 03:51:53

Staxfan

I purchased one of the check flannel shirts from JS at the end of November, happy with the fit & cloth, ( changed the buttons), wore it a couple of times over a white-t, it went through the washing , (and I have to say my Wife is excellent with all things domestic and if I do any washing she always gives good instructions), pulled it out of the wardrobe to wear on Saturday and it had shrunk, not dramatically but it had definitely shrunk, it's still ok as I've lost some weight over the last year or so, but I'll be careful next time it's washed, no real washing instructions on the shirt, I think one or two on here also bought one of these shirts, did anyone have the same problem ?
On another shirt topic there was the following info on 'The Roll Call' ,
'Kamakura shirts now being stocked by AllBluesco - always great service on mail order', they're 99 quid, no real description regarding of what type of fit they are as I believe there are various ' fits', never heard of this shop before, they're based in  Leeds, also carry Drakes ,
I think Woof has mentioned sometime he has some Kamakura shirts, just wondered what the quality is like in comparison to (say) JS's or Jakes, any comments ?

#11 2022-01-17 04:59:11

Staxfan

I emailed AllBlues and received the following response , might be of interest to some -

We only stock the Vintage Ivy which fits true to size, the rest of their shirts are small to size.
We will be getting more shirts in April.
16 is 22??  ptp, shoulder to cuff 25?? , shoulder 19??  and back is 32

#12 2022-01-17 04:59:25

Staxfan

I emailed AllBlues and received the following response , might be of interest to some -

We only stock the Vintage Ivy which fits true to size, the rest of their shirts are small to size.
16 is 22??  ptp, shoulder to cuff 25?? , shoulder 19??  and back is 32

#13 2022-01-17 04:59:51

Staxfan

16 is 22 ptp, shoulder to cuff 25, shoulder 19 and back is 32 inches

#14 2022-01-17 05:28:05

RobbieB

Great find on the Allblues site Stax. I haven't heard of that Leeds shop before. One or two items I'm interested in.Thanks.

#15 2022-01-17 06:11:23

Runninggeez

@Robbie, they also stock Alden, Harley knitwear & J M Weston

#16 2022-01-17 06:16:42

RobbieB

I know, brilliant, never even heard of the place.

#17 2022-01-17 06:36:02

Runninggeez

It might be cheaper to buy direct from Kamakura Robbie, their P&P includes import duty so a $99 dollar shirt costs just over £90, and it came pretty quick. Just saying that as All Blues only have 5 styles of shirt

#18 2022-01-17 06:41:47

RobbieB

OK. Thanks RG

#19 2022-01-17 08:11:05

Staxfan

Apologies for posting the same message 3 times ! Not sure how that happened,
Like you Robbie I’d never heard of the shop before today,
RG thanks for the ‘heads up’ on ordering direct from Kamakura,

#20 2022-01-17 09:24:05

plastic palm tree

The sport shirts are also excellent, with unlined collar.  However, they seem to only do them in slim fit now: https://kamakurashirts.com/collections/sport

I must have got the last New York Classic Fit ones in the Black Friday say

#21 2022-01-18 02:13:13

Tomiskinky

All Blues is a cracking shop, been around for a while now but only on Instagram (last I looked) but fantastic service. I always try call in when going up to see my father in The Dales. They are situated n the Corn Exchange which is also where The Archives has their shop, who stock a lot of Japanese brands and accommodate the more Rugged Ivy style with workwear - a bit like Clutch Cafe in London.

http://www.the-archives.co.uk/

#22 2022-01-18 03:09:46

AFS

The single John Simons XL I own, a Madras, fits more like a Medium.  On the other hand, some odds and sods I bought years ago, when the likes of Cheeky Monkey and Mr. Roest graced this forum, sized as Medium still fitted quite comfortably even after I became a chubby chap a few years ago. 
Our washing-machine has a fifteen minute 'freshen-up' option that gets plenty of use.

#23 2022-01-18 05:04:15

AlveySinger

I have only purchased a needle point baseball hat from All Blues. Service and speed was exceptionally good.

A word of warning for anyone buying the Vintage Ivy Shirts just be mindful that they're Japanese and can be a bit neat compared to a Brooks or Press shirt. That said once you're happy with the size these shirts are very good quality in terms of both the material and construction.

#24 2022-01-18 11:16:51

Staxfan

Alvey - thanks for the advice re Kamakura, I looked at their online size chart and I think I’d need to size up from 16 to 16.5 for the extra inches in the chest, pleased to hear your comment re the quality, cheers

#25 2022-05-06 03:00:49

Staxfan

Alvey, RG , Robbie ,  - I sent a short email to Kamakura yesterday and had the following response,(even though it's a national holiday in Japan),  thought it might be of interest....

Thank you very much for your inquiry.
Yes, the collaboration shirts with Graham Marsh will be released within today!
And there will be more by the end of this month.

Board footer