You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » Tie vs No Tie: Brits and US Differences in the Media and Workplace

#301 2016-09-17 04:32:11

formby1

Re: Tie vs No Tie: Brits and US Differences in the Media and Workplace

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#302 2016-09-17 04:34:34

Bop

How many variables does a colour have formby?

#303 2016-09-17 05:17:48

formby1

Is this a serious question...?

A colour can have as many variables assigned to it as the observer wishes to give it.

What I think you mean, and its a big if. is what components make up a colour. If that is the case, the answer is 3.

Hue.

Saturation.

Intensity.

Strange question..

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#304 2016-09-17 06:16:45

Bop

Great now we are cooking.. im guesing by intensity you mean luminosity ie dark to light, either way well done. I promise you will discover use for self expression in this, not just someone dictating a dogma to you, which is what I think both you and FNB feel I am doing. This will in fact come back to tie choices so hear me out. 

Just to clarify axis of hue is what we often see on the colour wheel. Magenta going all the way round through red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and back to magenta. red being at the low end indigo at the top end. We can easily assign feelings to those colours...but this is one single part of a bigger picture.

Each axis holds an ability to communicate, so when we learn about the three posistions we can see how hue does not portrary everything which is the conclusion one may have from looking at the colour wheel..and why so often it is a bit useless..its like seeing the world in one dimension.

Chroma or saturation is how dull or bright that colour is. Notice you can have a dull dark colour and a dull light colour... this is because of the saturation, not the luminosity. Easy way to think of this is a grey colour to neon colour on a sliding scale.

Again with luminosity you can have a dark saturated colour like say an emerald green..or a dull dark colour like a muddy mossy green, this is because the colour is moving across the axis of black to white.

Hopefully you can see a reasoning emerging here... when all three interact we have a much more sophisticated system of language to communicate with...and due to their frequencies and how our own inate resonance we feel sensations that either please us or displease us we can also extend this out to a social science if we wish.. hence the idea of subjectivity but really what we are seeing is one view point of an objective principle, that principle being electromagnetism. The ebb and flow of energy in the physical world.

So what pleases you on those scales? Do you perhaps like deep, heavily saturated indigo? And what does that mean?

The hue travels through cold to warm colours... the hue of indigo sits in the top reaches of cold before magenta brings warmth round again..

So by choosing indigo you communicate coldness and calmness but also other attributes too which is where you have to ask yourself what you feel they mean, many which we pick up instinctively. I could dictate mine but appricate how the viewer will have their own reactions to colours that can change as they begin to understand the larger picture more clearly.

Now... the colour is saturated..what does that mean? It is full of life it is bursting with saturation...this again has psychology and sensory meaning... to me it suggests energy and giving.. when fruit is ripe it is bursting with colour, when old it can turn grey and muddy.

But the colour is dark so maybe we cannot describe it as lively.. however it has this positive energetic saturation that means it cannot just be a lifeless dark blue...maybe it is waiting to burst into life like how winter turns to spring...?

All of this can be forged into a very personal model of not just colour but sensation and communication of self. However as personalised as it can become it was always sit in the larger physical construct of the mathematical and physical principle.

Now then, when we look at an object we recognise what it says and whether we want to say it. Imagine you are an actor... you might have to say something in a way that you dont find easy tondo because its not natural to you...but you have to understand emotions that maybe appear foreign to communicate them.

When I look at many Van Buck ties they suggest too much to me at once, it is babbling, its trying to do too much and in that looses all potency, and strength of meaning. I feel the black and bright colours are trying to communicate earth, sex, sedictive energy very deep moving energies which is great probably why FNB feels woman are attracted to them...very feminine energy , anyway if thats what is being suggested to me theyre unsophisticated attempts at like if a plate was overcrowded with flavour or a piece of music was incorrectly mixed. However Im sure you will disagree and put it down to taste. Im not sure I can make my point any more clearly, which is subjectivity governed by objective forces, and what they communicate

Last edited by Bop (2016-09-17 06:23:08)

#305 2016-09-17 06:28:18

Beestonplace

Cant we simply return to the original topic?

I LOVE , this foum

#306 2016-09-17 07:39:12

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#307 2016-09-17 07:46:20

Bop

Quite right too. ..

adieu.

Till we meet again.

#308 2016-09-17 07:55:08

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#309 2016-09-17 08:46:31

Bop

My god you even quote wiki.

As for the colour system Im not even talking about RGB and additive light.l, if anything clothes rely on subtractive light as material is coloured with dyes.

Ive given you all the info to explain why people have different tastes, yet you still tell me Im wrong because people have different tastes. Are you telling me the laws of physics are different in France or China? The 'styles' are in the construct im trying to explain to you, I assure you if there is naivety or immaturity it is coming directly from mr copy and paste.

Ive really tried to help, but Im not sure you really understand anything outside of the google search bar.

Im sorry everyone, I really hoped I could bring some illumination to the topic I was told I wasn't discussing but then when I try to make it obvious to people those same people are too obaque to realise.

All you suggest when you talk of taste Formby is relative posistion in complete construct of energetic frequency, given that construct there is a lot that can be drawn from it including not only tastes but also fundamental mathematical relestionships which given are current scientific knowledge are constants...if you know better than the world's greatest minds..by all means go ahead and explain

Last edited by Bop (2016-09-17 09:10:59)

#310 2016-09-17 09:25:19

formby1

You don't see your problem. Right:

You now admit that tastes change, what is considered beautiful changes. They are relative.

You believe that Aesthetics can be reduced to mathematical constructs. and hence aesthetic beauty is deterministic (a fancy word for saying it can be calculated by some formula or other).

Therefore, by your reasoning, what is beautiful in China, should be beautiful in Egypt since the laws of mathematics hold in both places. (They are not relative)

But what is considered beautiful is relative.

...and so on..

What you have here is a contradiction. Your logic is unsound.

Do you now understand your problem?

As for your remark about snipping from wiki, it doesn't matter where I snip from, what matters is whether or not it is correct.

Sigh....

Souvent me Souvient

#311 2016-09-17 09:33:16

formby1

Now back to the matter at hand.

Shirts and Ties...

Souvent me Souvient

#312 2016-09-17 09:55:22

Bop

What you fail to realise and what i dont seem to be able to explain is what is being observed is the same thing, governed by the same rules, the paradox is that truth, contradictory only because if you studied it you would realise it is paradoxical.

There honestly is no helping you formby

I hope you choose to donate to wikipedia, you certainly get good use from it.

Its like saying a piece of ground is not the same piece of ground whether it is in spring or autumn...its the same piece of ground. How can you not get your head round that?

Last edited by Bop (2016-09-17 10:02:52)

#313 2016-09-18 03:00:37

Bop

Last point in layman's terms... hopefully you can make the mental leap

Are all Chinese chefs good because you like Chinese food? No. There are good and bad practioners working in the same style. Is all reggae music good because you like reggae? Again, no, so what is it then that makes something a good or bad example of a style/taste? The fundamental underpinnings Im discussing. What makes simple elegant or simple boring, what makes elaborate breathtaking or a complete shambles?

Nothing to do with regional taste or fashion...all that is is style. Ive already said I like difficult over the top dandyism I recognise the difficulty it takes to do. I see it as the height of male dressing.

If you had a tv set that couldnt tune to channels would you say oh thats just the way that particular style of television works...or would we all agree that tv needs fixing? You are a broken tv set Formby

If you can explain to me anyother way the plastic arts work then please explain...

All the gear no idea springs to mind

Last edited by Bop (2016-09-18 03:20:22)

#314 2016-09-18 13:28:59

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#315 2016-09-18 23:19:58

Beestonplace

I am faar too much of a judgmental, jealous, unimaginative, anxiety ridden bore to appreciate these magnificient pieces of art.

I LOVE , this foum

#316 2016-09-19 01:39:07

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

They are of course, examples of whimsy and like with all whimsy it needs to be employed scarcely and some might say if ever.

They are from the The Artist & The Architect AW16 collection. Within T&A's seasonal collections you will always find some very tempting classics, for example, the current season has some interesting shirts with intermittent very fine grey or lilac lines creating grids of varying size. To my eyes, they look rather splendid and I would have no problem with wearing them for work and for meetings with clients. They are unusual, but completely right for a technical business, be it an architect or engineering office. Great stuff!

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#317 2016-09-19 11:25:19

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#318 2016-09-19 11:30:25

Beestonplace

Whimsy a sign of confidence?

Good to know.

I LOVE , this foum

#319 2016-09-19 11:36:40

Beestonplace

Love my Hermes alligators, fish, sheep and crabs

I LOVE , this foum