You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-06 03:10:42

Kingston1an

Algha spectacle frames

Had a pair of NHS John Lennons - one of the most comfortable spectacles I have ever owned. Also had the plastic 524s in black. The days when it was NHS, or pay over-the-odds for a private frame. Anyway they are still in business

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2397428/See-inside-The-Algha-Works-Britains-bespoke-spectacle-frame-factory.html

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#2 2013-12-06 03:44:52

RobbieB

Re: Algha spectacle frames

I am amazed that they are still in business, and at the same factory,  given their proximity to the Olympic Stadium. Good for them.

http://vimeo.com/31077202

I had a black pair of 524s but never wore them. I always liked the childrens version in blue. I eventually bought an expensive 'designer' version after wearing contact lenses.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#3 2013-12-06 03:54:06

Kingston1an

Taken over and then sold off again. Berwick style looks pretty good too.

Not sure how much the frames retail for now   http://www.algha.com/information/history/

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#4 2013-12-06 09:42:59

formby

Love the old drawing board. Takes me back.

I had the John Lennon ones. My brother had the 524/525 with the obligatory ball of cello tape to hold the broken arm on.

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#5 2013-12-07 03:09:25

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

When I first became myopic, I went for the Highway type specs, which were still quite popular in the early 80s. I had the 525 in black as back-up, at the time I considered them horrendous and when I had my normal frames getting fixed, I skivved-off school for nearly a week, for the shame of being seen in these spectacles and be called Elvis Costello.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#6 2013-12-13 02:34:13

Deloras44

I like it a lot. You know precisely what your talking about exactly where other people are coming from on this issue.

#7 2013-12-13 05:08:12

Reckless Reggie

I'm Reckless Reggie of the Regent Palace,
I'm in love with every gal;
I flirt with Maudie and I flirt with Alice,
I'm a real life Regent's pal.

#8 2016-10-10 02:27:16

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Bump for this thread! The rebranded Algha Works appears to now have a cult celebrity following under the brand Savile Row:

http://savileroweyewear.com/

I feel the market has reached saturation point for browline and thick Moscot type spectacles and the move will be back towards rimless frames. I am contemplating getting the Diaflex Panto or Round, as worn by Eric Clapton (oh dear) and Steve Jobs.

#9 2016-10-12 10:35:15

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

There are two opticians near me stocking the Savile Row spectacles and as I expected, I plumped for the Diaflex Round in rhodium. Eric Clapton's ones looked good too. The whole range is nicely subdued, classic and not overtly in your face like say Oliver Peoples, or the thicker frames that have been in fashion over the last couple of years. They're quality and a mile away from the herd, I may well be buying some more of this brand.

The optician said he had been to the factory workshop in London, he said it's archaic with broken lifts and lathes from the 1920's, but the vibe is one of quality and craftsmanship. I may go for the Beaufort next.

#10 2016-10-12 12:43:08

Johnny's Lobbster

These used to be very popular in Germany a couple of years back.

Board footer