Re: The College Scarf

O'Connell's

#27 2016-11-08 00:15:28

Madras_Seersucker

#28 2016-11-08 01:44:38

Yuca

Check scarves all the way for me. I already look like I'm going to a fancy dress party as a 1950s professor - a college scarf would be overegging the pudding. But I'm sure some of you lot can pull it off.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#29 2016-11-08 09:27:38

stanshall

I have a lot of wool scarves, all solids from England, and tartans, checks, and plaids from Scotland, all from Brooks, J. Press, and Andover, and a few more from other nice shops .....

used to buy a new scarf or two every month in the winter, needed fresh infusions of color to fight off the pallor and the grayness of the awful season .....

they were not expensive

once upon a time striped college scarves were de rigueur for cold football games in the fall in New England, that was their raison d'etre, I used to enjoy seeing them in the stands ..... I still have mine from the '70s, and of course will bust it out next time I go to a Game .....

but outside those two old stadiums I haven't ever worn the old striped schoolboy scarf .....

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#30 2016-11-08 11:55:31

Patrick

One year J. Press was giving the school scarves away, I mean a serious discount, to $30 or something. I bought a big pile of them.

Sierra Trading Post sometimes has some nice wool scarves too.

Last winter was so mild I barely broke a sweat going in and out of overheated buildings. Didn't deploy a scarf until a late cold snap in January.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#31 2016-11-08 12:30:05

stanshall

/\  haha I think they discount them heavily every year ... this year isn't the year to go to a game though .... last time I wore that thing I saw one of the greatest football games I've ever seen and you know I have seen some of the best football ever ......

though I don't really think those college scarves are Ivy in the sense of cool Ivy, or even preppy, I think they're just the goofy ticket for goofy but nice events like college football games in the cold .....

the cold weather, where did it go? ,,,,, back to the scarves, I know I like them better on people who aren't trying to signal that they went to some Ivy League college ..... not counting football games .....

#32 2016-11-08 15:00:24

captainpreppy

The only scarf of that sort that I have is a Balliol scarf. I believe it is my third. One was stolen while I was at Balliol. The second I accidentally left in a restaurant about 30 years ago, and the current one I bought not too many years back. I wore it a lot while walking my dogs on chill nights, but since I no longer have I dog, I have almost no occasion to wear it.

I rather have the sense that college scarves here in the States are mostly a northeastern thing, but I could be mistaken about that.

Getting back to Balliol scarves, when I was "up," you could wear a college scarf, a college necktie or a college blazer. You could combine two out of the three, but wearing all three together would definitely be considered (in contemporary American parlance) "dorky."

#33 2016-12-24 04:39:08

Beestonplace

College scarfs. Maybe for people who are stuck in the past, or, in the case of many Americans, AAAC members etc, longing to be part of Ye Olde Euyrope.

Whats wrong with a muted colour one in cashmere, maybe from Loro Piana?
Never ever Burberry's house check.

I LOVE , this foum

#34 2016-12-24 08:28:06

stanshall

/\  there's nothing wrong with a cashmere scarf in a muted color, and there are no "Americans longing to be part of old Europe" ......

also, what is this "AAAC" you mention so frequently?

#35 2016-12-24 09:07:43

Chief Brody

Ask Andy About Clothes.

Beeston is trolling. He is bored.

#36 2016-12-24 09:55:16

SanchoPanza

I like my Burberry, fits with almost everything. Like my J Press college scarf also.

#37 2016-12-24 10:25:35

stanley s. hall

Let's take the cheese.

#38 2016-12-24 10:53:42

stanshall

#39 2017-01-10 03:23:23

HOOT

Are the Smart Turnout striped wool scarves any good? http://www.smartturnout.com/accessories/scarves.html

#40 2022-06-26 14:45:03

AFS

I sense little enthusiasm, in England anyway, for the college/school/university scarf.  I love 'em and have just bought another, by Ryder And Amies (who also do nice, discreet ties).  This is between duck egg and sky blue and will be neatly folded away with the others until the autumn.  The first I owned was a kind of gift from my second wife, a graduate of Warwick University, and I've simply gone on from there.  O'Connell's do them and I don't think they have the same 'off' connotations as wearing, say, an Old Etonian or regimental tie.

#41 2022-06-26 15:17:37

Tim

I’ve got roughly 20 or so college scarves, virtually all of which are associated with a family connection of some sort. I stopped buying them when I realized how infrequently I wear them. Still, if I see them for sale cheaply enough (sub 15 quid) I’ll usually have a punt.

#42 2022-06-27 02:18:42

AFS

I think they were being offered at Chiltern Street relatively recently. 
Didn't one of TRSs friends, either Mark Collins or Gary Isaacs, sport a duffle coat, college scarf, Argyle socks and loafers combo?  What could be more Ivy than that? 
I buy one whenever the mood takes me: at least a couple a year.  A bottle green/yellow stripe is the current favourite.

Board footer