You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-14 12:21:13

Berkeley_Breathes

Dress shirt collar question

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#2 2017-01-14 12:27:28

Patrick

Re: Dress shirt collar question

You see that look in the movies a lot as well. I think it's just a question of taking the stays out.

I can get close with a couple of Mercer point collar shirts I own. Those collars aren't lined, which encourages the floppiness.

If I took the stays out of a modern non-iron point collar (Lands End or Jos Banks or Brooks) it would look sloppy, not floppy.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#3 2017-01-14 15:42:02

Berkeley_Breathes

Yeah, that was my concern... Thanks for the input Patrick, much appreciated... if anyone else has thoughts please join in...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#4 2017-01-14 16:10:34

stanshall

I used to regularly buy J. Press Madaralyte blue-white pencil-striped plain collar shirts with flap pockets, in the '70s and '80s, when they were Press staples, and I never used collar stays, and the floppiness of those shirt collars was unparalleled in the history of floppy Ivy tennis collars ...

the shape of those unlined collars was perfect and the lightweight pinpoint cloth also contributed a lot to the softness, which is never realized exactly the same way with an oxford cloth shirt even if it's been washed many times .....

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#5 2017-01-14 16:50:01

Berkeley_Breathes

The joy of reading your posts is only equalled by the pain of all of them being in past tense, stan... Excuse me while I go tinker with the time machine... I'll get it working one of these days...

#6 2017-01-14 18:29:10

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#7 2017-01-14 19:02:54

Berkeley_Breathes

...and yet Jerry Lewis is still alive.

Bob Benson's looks (he was the one Ivy dresser on Mad Men) really reminded me of Hymie.

You hit on two of my Brooks pet peeves, those damn non-iron shirts and so many f*cking fits. Glad to see they're selling some Made in USA suits again though...

Board footer