You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Restoring and caring for Shell Cordovan Gunboats

#1 2016-03-11 05:08:51

Tommy

Restoring and caring for Shell Cordovan Gunboats

Finally received the pair's of Florsheim Imperial's I picked up over a month ago (photos of the Gunboats to be added to this thread when I have time). Both fit like The Black PTB are in great shape, the Shell's are also, apart from the toe ripple, which has caused slight bulging of the leather.

Can I reduce the ripple at all? I can live with it if not.

I also want some care tips- Dr. Acton can you go retrieve Shooey from which ever deep bunker lab, he's been hidden in? These cost £90 for 2 shoes, including shipping and a big customs sting, so I'm happy to invest a lot of effort in the fixer uppers?

#2 2016-03-11 05:27:13

Acton_Baby

Re: Restoring and caring for Shell Cordovan Gunboats

T, I'm not going near that bunker wink

Here's a good guide for shell cordo care....

https://www.hangerproject.co.uk/shoe-care-guide/polishing-shell-cordovan/?SID=pqvqnovvutnq3dmb26496mqf57&___store=uk_default

Saphir shoe care products would be my choice all the way ( Amazon marketplace is a good source as can be pricey at full retail price).

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#3 2016-03-11 06:02:59

Sid Ford

While we are on shoe care and maintenance; I have a pair of vintage Trickers that creak when worn
No amount of dubbin, polish, vaseline, etc etc will stop it. Any sage advice Ivy Hive?

#4 2016-03-11 06:26:14

Tommy

#5 2016-03-11 11:22:37

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#6 2016-03-11 11:43:07

Acton_Baby

Hugh Hefner

#7 2016-03-12 03:33:15

Tommy

Anyone got any tips for reducing the ripple?

#8 2016-03-12 07:58:34

Acton_Baby

Ripple reduction possible solutions ( a phrase that reads like an Alvin Lucier composition)...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4897791_remove-wrinkles-leather-shoes.html

I'd be wary of the 'iron the creases out' solution with shell cordo just because of the oils in the leather, but it works great on calf leather.

Hugh Hefner

#9 2016-04-02 02:34:50

Horace

Re: ripple.  I remember some cobbler telling me -- and it sounds crazy and I must've misheard it -- but there's a bone paper knife type of thing (the kind you used to use to "cut" pages in books) that one would use to make creases less pronounced.  I've know idea if it's in the realm of proper shoo care or not.  Sounds bullshit to me, but might be worth a further look.  Now I'm curious.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#10 2016-04-02 02:52:05

Tommy

I think its a deer 'polishing' bone or something like that?

#11 2016-04-08 05:20:34

Leer R.

Yeah, but some say it is worth it and others say it is bullshit. I believe it is bullshit....

A VERY tough solution is - but I really dunno if it is recommended with shell cordovan (I think shell should work even better than calfskin, although I am not 100% sure) - to soak the shoes in water until they are completely wet. REALLY wet. Best works with warm water.... Then let them dry for a couple of hours. And then put in a shoe tree - and dry them with a heat gun (but from a significant distance, about 30 - 40 cm). The creases shrink and the shoes get back to their original form (in the best case). Worked well with used calfskin Vass shoes I own...

EDIT: don't try it if you are not 100% sure (the loss of my shoes would have been ok, but Florsheim Longwings...)!

Last edited by Leer R. (2016-04-08 05:34:19)

#12 2016-12-28 14:16:15

Beestonplace

Shoe trees seem to work magic on cordos - I religiously put mine on trees even after a short wear.

I LOVE , this foum

#13 2016-12-29 12:12:31

alkydrinker

I bought vintage Florsheim cordovan PTBs and have this same problem - a lot of toe ripple. I let them sit with shoe trees for a couple months after buying them, and that did not get rid of the ripples. Right now, I experimenting with getting them damp and putting various other creams, etc on them and putting the shoes on a shoe stretcher. I am making the shoe stretcher tight inside the shoe, but not so much to the change the fit. It's certainly not an easy/quick fix, but I am hoping it helps with enough time. It doesn't seem like it'll be possible to get rid of the ripples, but just hoping to reduce them.

Last edited by alkydrinker (2016-12-29 12:13:13)

#14 2017-01-20 07:10:50

alkydrinker

Last edited by alkydrinker (2017-01-20 07:12:30)

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Restoring and caring for Shell Cordovan Gunboats

Board footer