You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-22 10:53:55

Kingston1an

Effendi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-38692382

You would think they might have more worrying concerns.

I would expect them to dress like Marne Maitland in Britains finest film 'I'm alright Jack' :-

"Distinctive character actor, born in Calcutta and educated at Magdalen College, Cambridge. His acting career was interrupted by wartime service (for six years) in the British Army. He then joined the Old Vic Company and subsequently appeared on screen. With his hooked nose and furtive eyes, he made the perfect sinister villain, playing an assortment of Arabic or Central Asian diamond smugglers, drug dealers or black market racketeers."

http://www.aveleyman.com/Gallery/ActorsM/26776-9214.jpg

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#2 2017-01-22 11:44:11

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: Effendi

There is nothing wrong with wallowing in a world of beauty for an hour or two, or bringing that into your day to day reality. Those Kurdish regions were meant to be a good posting for those unlucky enough to get to go to Iraq in the last few years. Shopping malls, decent food and people who don't won't to saw off your head for the grace of the almighty. Although I hear the good times have gone due to the oil price.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#3 2017-01-22 18:33:38

chatsworth osborne jr.

I do support this affront to modern ultracasual attire:
"In days past, the "effendis" - literally, 'lord" or "master' - would dress in their finest clothes to attend cultural salons or visit tea shops."

The dynamic of dress as a statement of politics or culture is fascinating.  That NatW guy, a Canadian grad student, seemed convinced that the Trad/Ivy thing has some sort of reactionary slant underneath it.  I'm not sure how correct he was.

#4 2017-01-23 02:05:05

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

Board footer