You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-04 13:02:59

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

The Ones That Got Away

Was there ever a piece of ivy gear you had the chance to buy but didn't, and ever after regretted it? Some grail item you left behind in a shop because you couldn't quite bring yourself to commit? Some choice bit of gear on ebay where you could have put that bid in, but didn't - then it sold for peanuts?

For me it will ever be a RL double breasted camel polo coat I saw in a vintage shop on the Lower East side NYC on sale for $150. It was in great condition and fitted me well. But I couldn't quite make my mind up and I didn't have room in my case, in the end I talked myself out of it and we flew home the next day. I should have bought it and posted it to myself. Or just worn it onto the plane, it would have looked a bit odd as it was the middle of June and very hot, but what the hell. I immediately regretted my indecision and a couple of days after we got home I phoned the shop up, but it had gone. It still haunts me and I haven't got the odd £1800 kicking around for a new one either.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2 2017-03-04 13:43:46

Chet

Re: The Ones That Got Away

I feel your pain Woof. I should have bought a superb three piece flannel suit advertised on eBay (alerted by Oliver), but I prevaricated and then missed the deadline. It sold for peanuts and I am still kicking myself.

Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

#3 2017-03-04 17:34:33

Chipper

I've been there a few times, Woof. It happens less often with clothes than with other things. With clothes, I figure I'll eventually find it again or else something like it or different from it that I would enjoy just as much. For me, the pain is associated with a few things I collect, particularly LPs. Many, many times I've passed on a supposedly collect-able LP that I've wanted because of an irrational impulse to think the record store owner was gouging me. Many, many times I've turned around halfway home, realizing the error of my thinking, to return to the record store, only to find the gem gone. I hate that. In the case of a record, often a collect-able or hard-to-find LP just won't be there again ever. There's a good chance that something close will come back around, or, as is the case these days, a fairly faithful reissue--but it will never be quite like that record that got away.

Last edited by Chipper (2017-03-04 17:35:10)

#4 2017-03-05 15:20:52

Patrick

For years I bought damn near everything in sight, an approach that has its own.

What annoys me most are the things that should have been right but weren't. The fit was slightly off, or there was a hole I didn't notice.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

Board footer