You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-10 14:23:34

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Is There Anyone Out There?

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2 2017-03-10 14:59:46

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: Is There Anyone Out There?

Posting is the life blood of this place brothers. There's no shortage of traffic on the forum, it is the case that new threads often attract a couple of hundred views within a day or two ....... but only a small number of replies. Members are not posting.

New members do not seem to be asking questions. When they do it doesn't really help when someone pops up and posts a link to an old thread....+.. People post outfits looking for feedback - so lets give them some!

Its true that many members have been here for a long time, during which most topics have been covered. But a renewed examination often brings a new take or perspective.

There is a tremendous reserve of knowledge here but unless it is shared, aired and discussed it contributes nothing to the good of this place that we have all enjoyed so much in the past.

Mods can do so much but ultimately it is up to you lot!

Come on you lurkers let's see your style and hear about it!

John Simons

#3 2017-03-10 15:04:44

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I forgot to say that if anyone has any suggestions as to how the format of the forum might be improved, then please let us know.

John Simons

#4 2017-03-10 15:26:42

Yuca

I'm not the most of observant of people it's true, but I check the forum regularly and hadn't noticed any signs of decay. (Obviously I noticed it all kicked off recently, but I'm referring to a lack of activity.) Quality not quantity should be the focus.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#5 2017-03-10 15:30:54

Chipper

I generally don't get much reaction when I post, which does not inspire further posting. I know there are reasons for this circumstance, which I'd rather not explore. In addition, in the case of the what-I-wore-today kind of topics, I see people posting far better looks than I can manage, and I also realize that I don't have much new to offer, i.e., I keep wearing the same stuff over and over again. On the other hand, I will respond to outfits that surprise, inspire, or otherwise elevate me.

#6 2017-03-10 16:03:36

Berkeley_Breathes

I think we all need to remember that (lively and civil debate aside) there is a wide range of looks that are acceptable for discussion here - prep and its satellites, Ivy through the decades, pre-Ivy... as well as music, literature, architecture... and then of course brands, the mechanics of clothing, etc... These are all deep topics and can live as threads for a long, long time...

I would suggest creating, if possible, a search function that may turn up dead threads which could be revived... Also the valuable ILSFT thread could be complemented by a WIWT-type thread, or posters could be encouraged to post (as some do) their own outfits in the relevant thread (like the 70s prep thread)...

I think no one should be afraid of putting their thoughts out there... Longer posts can hurt more if they're ignored but they also can add greatly to the conversation, rather than just throwing out a general question or topic (I'm not thinking of any specific instances here, just thinking out loud)...

I think also that after a long time with the same threads sitting in the same places with the same look, it can be hard to actually *see* the different threads - it's just the static face of TI. Switching up the look in some way could definitely inject some energy all on its own as people saw things in a new way...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#7 2017-03-10 16:08:37

Berkeley_Breathes

Another thought... more posts in existing threads, and consolidation of similar threads into megathreads... Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#8 2017-03-10 16:12:12

An Unseen Scene

There is not so much new to post for now. Less new relevant stimulus for discussion around in general.

I try to avoid the bickering, which only serves to make me avoid the forum until it quietens down. 

I think perhaps I and others self censor ahead of posting to avoid a potential row.  The subject here is very narrow with such a defined sense of style orthodoxy that not everyone follows as strictly.

I have also like Chipper felt that my posts often are ignored when others though off topic who are more central somehow to the group get much more response, so on the whole I just stopped bothering.

I check every day though and do try to put up anything distinct I find. I'm busy with life like everyone but will carry on here.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2017-03-10 16:17:31)

#9 2017-03-10 16:27:02

Old Harry

#10 2017-03-11 02:02:42

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I would comment on the ILSFT thread but those people only want smoke blowing up their arse. And TBF, half of it really is tatt. Not offensive but just not very good, and for sure not inspiring. And then when you get the praising comments for the mundane you end up thinking; what the fuck are these people wearing if they think thats fab? I mean, no offence but when you get  Ox's post in a shetland jumper, chinos and uni BD for the 1000th time along side the traffic lights how can you expect any convo to come from that? And he's not the worse dresser on there, not by a country mile.

I'm happy to be in the out crowd, I've enough confidence to do my own thing without needing to applease people with group think.

I might start posting a bit more now Bop has taken his lumberjack shirts and Surgical appliance trainers off to the Lumberjacks in Surgical appliance forum and is frantically buying second hand Surgical appliance trainers and lumberjack shirts off ebay for as little as possible that won't fit very well to gain approval of group thinkers over there. At least he took his colour wheel with him, another enlightenment he found 20 years after the event.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#11 2017-03-11 02:50:30

Kingston1an

^The Talk Ivy forum is mostly for people who like that style. We know what that style is. You either like it or you don't. Or you like elements of it.

The photographs are not going to change dramatically. The subjects will not one day change persona from, say, a ziggy phase to a thin white Duke phase.

So if you don't like Ivy then don't bother.

I don't like Shetland myself for reasons explained ad infinitum in the past, but I still like a lot of the other stuff.

In a non Ivy context, you would not expect Krusty to suddenly start posting a completely different wardrobe. Yet you still get people moaning that he is boring them. It is up to them to post better IMO.

I can understand people giving up if they feel they are ignored.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#12 2017-03-11 02:52:13

Yuca

Funnily enough I enjoy your outfits and Bop's. And Ox's. And I'm fussy about what I like.

#13 2017-03-11 03:11:17

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#14 2017-03-11 03:17:15

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#15 2017-03-11 03:27:51

Kingston1an

One man's 'sartorial cul de sac' is another's classic style.

Everton Man used to be a real obsessive. He even wrote a book about it.

Then he gets bored with it all and goes off with the hipsters, popping in here to rubbish those who still stick with the style.

I suppose oneupmanship was always an important element of dressing for some.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#16 2017-03-11 03:28:38

Yuca

Last edited by Yuca (2017-03-11 03:29:37)

#17 2017-03-11 04:06:57

An Unseen Scene

As with GYW I have no interest in Ivy Style as Trad, my route in is his too.

I have tried mentioning relevant extensions of the form
-  recent 3/2 roll, natural shoulder, hook vent sports jackets by Jaeger in limited runs (I have three in different styles, they are truly great, far far better than my Keydge) or Alessi watches, or last week, the Sirroco jacket.  It is hit and miss whether I get a reply at all amongst the hardcore focus on a narrow set of companies.  As much as I enjoy JS, Keydge, Rancourt etc it gets a bit repetitive. The innovation seems to be with others too who are never mentioned - recent brushed cotton BD Barbour shirts are great, Berg & Berg do great work and lots more but we seem only to discuss the same.  Ivy influenced style is fine to me but I know many want direct brand lineage.  I am as interested in John Michael or Blades in the past as I am Brooks Brothers or J.Press.  I'll keep posting up though and see what connects here.

One thing that is tricky is how it is seemingly okay for central members of the group to wear anything and claim it as Ivy, no matter how odd yet others who explore related areas have been jumped on.  I do not mean me as I am still here posting, but I know it put off and bewildered fair few newer members who just moved on.  We may think it is a friendly forum, the archives sometimes tell a different story (though the worst has been removed by the moderators by now).

Maybe really though a lot of the subject is just talked out.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2017-03-11 04:16:15)

#18 2017-03-11 04:37:12

Kingston1an

A lot of stuff will just get lost in the Ivy style for today thread. If it is clothing with a slight twist then start a new thread.

Maybe 'central members' - if there is such a thing - are not phased by being ignored. Or they have been around so long that they don't get 'jumped on'. I don't see it as cliquey but I am not seeing it with fresh eyes.

As you say though, maybe a lot of the subject is talked out.

#19 2017-03-11 05:32:46

Thee Captain

Look – I’m certainly not slapping myself up on ILSFT from time to time because I’m concerned with anyone’s opinion or worried that I may or may not have the look down to a tee…

I do it.. well initially to have a laugh, I’ll admit…as all this posing for the camera was new to me at the time…and I’ve never been the shy or retiring type…so I thought…hey…I’ll join in and put my slant on things.. and so it’s come on in leaps n bounds (*coughs*) to where we be today.. but I do it cos I do love the style in all its forms… it’s just “my way” may not be “your way”..

I certainly don’t get all the vitriol on here just because you may not happen to like something?!? If you only like vintage…good on ya…if you prefer modern stuff…hurrah…if the BD/tie/sack is your thang….you rock that thang…If you liked beat up sneaks/jeans/sweats..then you go for it my brother!!! There should be summat on here for all tastes… and obviously if there were more posting, then there would be more elements of this - it’s natural in every walk of life that people forms bonds or veer towards those of  similar tastes, outlooks and opinions…

Looking at those old Dartmouth pics again from the early 50s…I got it frickin’ nailed on the big pants/tees/cruisers/loopcollars/drizzler front etc.?!?!?
Well of course I’ve not got anything nailed…but just cos it may not be to your tastes don’t mean it ain’t some kind of Bastardized Ivy.. which is forever my place in this here community…
I know a few fellas on here who don’t ever post in this section but they are seriously mighty dressers…and would love them to…but obviously it’s not for everyone to parade themselves in TIT MODE is it… *coughs AGAIN…this time in a Bob Fleming stylee*

As much as I love clothes…I won’t be getting worked up about them any time soon peeps…so it’d be great if the place got a lot lighter…less finger wagging.. more diverse in its outlook and more Lungetastic ..derr..

Right – I’m off to Ponce it Large..

P.S. Brushed Shetland Massive represent represent..

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#20 2017-03-11 05:37:00

Chipper

Hear, hear, Captain! I will drink to that. Although right now all I will drink is coffee. Later, though, different story... .

#21 2017-03-11 06:32:44

An Unseen Scene

To clarify, i do not think there is any clique or defined central members, just long term members comfortable posting with each other over time. Things are kept going by a few keen members here and good on them or the forum would be closed by now.

#22 2017-03-11 06:49:43

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Some good wisdom coming up here fellas.

It’s regrettable that some people perceive an ‘in crowd’ on here, that feeling should belong in the past. In any group, there will always long standing members, people who feel more confident to post and people who have got to know each other a bit, that shouldn’t make for a clique though and new members should be made to feel welcome at all times, unless they are trolling of course.

Posting pictures of yourself for strangers to look at has to be pretty weird, or is it? Its rapidly becoming quite an everyday activity as the internet becomes an extension to normal life. There’s nothing weird about taking your classic motorcycle to a show and exhibiting it, all you’re doing is sharing something that pleases you with like-minded people and I would suggest that ILSFT is not that much different.  Like Thee Captain, I’m not really bothered if people like my pictures or not. It’s always nice if you get a positive comment, even better a question or constructive criticism, but I can live with stony silence or indeed not having smoke blown up my arse:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/05/origin-expression-blow-smoke-ass/

Newcomers to the style will, however often be looking for constructive feedback and advice, it is good when over time, their style and dress improves and they start putting up really good looks - think Sancho.

Personally I like natural shoulder jackets, natural waist trousers and button down collars and as Kingy says, that’s what you’re largely going to get on an ivy forum. There are some trads here, but there’s room for people to come at it from different ways -think Leer, he’s had some stick about his ivy ‘with a continental twist’, but it doesn’t phase the guy and he’s very much part of our merry little band. Likewise, Unseen Scene posting about bits of gear he’s found on sale here in the UK – it’s good stuff and becoming more relevant as its starting to get more expensive to import clothes from the US, so don’t think you’re being ignored.

Thee Captain is living proof that you do not have to wear literal trad ivy to be welcomed here, there is a place for urban poncery in all its glory. Mate I just hope that your lobbying of the I.O.C. to include lunging in the Olympics bears fruit while you are still your prime. All these people will claim to be your besties after you bring home gold.

John Simons

#23 2017-03-11 06:57:49

Chipper

I've always seen FNB TI as more of an education in the history of Ivy than a daily guiding force in style and fashion. This distinguishes it from many other sites. In other words, I think the site is best for those who already are pretty confident in what they're wearing but want to know more of the back story. It's here that you can investigate the history behind things like hook vents, saddle shoulders, etc., or surf wear, their origins, evolution, etc.

Not that there's not room for other directions, but to me, that seems the greatest virtue of FNB Ivy.

#24 2021-10-13 07:06:35

A Fine Sadness

So, as far back as 2017 this conversation was being had.  Presumably people were already quitting in disgust/boredom or finding their boats were being floated on FB/IG/ whatever.  Which can work, as Gibson's IG work proves.  It's just mostly not for me, that's all.  Never was.  But, as Woofboxer (and others) may have hinted elsewhere, there's nothing much new under the sun - hence some bumped or weary threads.  So, why would FNB want to go on spending his hard-earned cash?  Maybe it'll all just fade away, leaving little behind but some very interesting memories.

Board footer