You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-05 11:20:49

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

More Moderation

I have removed a number of posts from the last few days of the ILST thread that don’t consist of the display of outfits or the gentlemanly appreciation or constructive criticism of them. I’ve also more or less expunged traces of recent visits by trolls.

It took me a while.

I have also deleted the contentious political threads from NSFW as these have unfortunately caused some lasting resentment for some people.

We have had some letting off of steam on here recently. I have had some feedback from members - some good, and some not so good, but mainly good. Thanks for all of it.

There is a need for moderators, there is also a need for us to moderate ourselves, I include myself as I have not always been beyond reproach. It's very easy to go from 0 - 60 in seconds if someone annoys you - lets engage cruise control.

I think the forum still has a lot to offer and it would be good to attract back some of the posters who have stayed silent recently, as well as supporting new members.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2 2017-03-06 00:22:18

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Re: More Moderation

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#3 2017-03-06 13:34:11

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#4 2017-03-06 18:07:50

Chipper

As my father was fond of telling me, all things in moderation. Chuckle.

#5 2017-03-07 02:40:10

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#6 2017-03-08 13:33:28

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

TBF its not always easy to show appreciation of some of the complete car crashes and mundane shite you see on that thread.

There, I think I held myself back quite well regarding commenting on pussys that quite clearly shop at Age Concern or think their a cross between Cary Grant, Prince Charles and Giovanni Agnelli cause they've purchased a pair of tennis shoes. Tossers.

As you were.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#7 2017-03-11 04:53:10

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Again, this morning I've taken down a perfectly good thread because people were waiting in the wings to weigh in, with vitriol and invection, and dig up a controversy that long since passed.

Moderation must come from members.

John Simons

#8 2017-03-11 04:57:34

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

#9 2017-03-11 05:06:11

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

#10 2017-03-11 05:27:02

Chipper

Apropos of nothing... I think a nice thread might be to feature different blogs or tumblr sites on ivy/trad/prep we like. There are the obvious candidates like Ox's, of course, but I think there are many lesser knowns that we might find enjoyable. I just stumbled on LeeLo's tumblr page and it's very good.

I mean, like, one thread that features different blogs, etc., as opposed to one thread per blog. You'd post whatever new or unknown one you'd "discovered," etc., folks could comment or not as they saw fit and post their own favorites, etc. I dunno. Maybe it's been done before. Maybe it's a dumb idea.

Last edited by Chipper (2017-03-11 05:40:03)

#11 2017-03-11 13:33:06

Chief Brody

#12 2017-03-11 13:40:38

Berkeley_Breathes

One of TI's main issues at the moment is exactly this - not being able to let go of things, having to prove oneself right and others wrong... After a few dozen instances of members driving threads into the ground with this kind of back and forth, around and around, it gets old.

I'm not trying to single anyone out, and I'm not defending or accusing anyone at all. But it's a valuable skill to be able to feel you are right and the other person is wrong, and still walk away because it's just not worth the fight...

I'm not much for religion personally but, "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him"...

I have no doubt at all that we can all take the high road, *ignore* the trolling, and focus on the good things that everyone brings to TI. And if someone brings nothing good at all, then that will be made clear to them by the mods. It's sad when the only things great posters say here is contentious, or angry, when they could be adding what their post history shows they can add - constructive, helpful, interesting stuff!

Last edited by Berkeley_Breathes (2017-03-11 13:41:42)

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#13 2017-03-11 13:51:05

Chief Brody

Sleeping dogs would be left well alone I am sure, if like Steve McQueen Fan above said, Chipper would stop bringing it up in his own sideways fashion.

Directness is not tolerated? But sly digs are cool? Ixnay on that cray... ixnay I say!

One love, BB.

The fact that Chipper commented at all (on a thread praising Billax), was incitement enough. And my response was to simply present the "reported facts" for a re-read.

Last edited by Chief Brody (2017-03-11 15:47:53)

#14 2017-03-11 14:03:15

Berkeley_Breathes

I totally hear you, Chief. But even so, you don't HAVE to take the bait, even though it's hung out in front of your nose. The sly digs are designed for you to respond, and once you have - even just to present the facts again - is losing the battle.

It's not that your directness isn't tolerated. It's that it only invites more of the sly digs, since the two of you aren't necessarily playing the same game -  trolls are gonna troll as long as people respond, so the best fix is for you, or anyone, to not respond anymore - not because you're wrong, but because trolls (and I'm speaking generally here, I don't know enough about this situation to label anyone) aren't interested in re-reads, they just like responses.

One love indeed!

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#15 2017-03-11 14:24:41

Chief Brody

I agree on all counts, BB. Thank you.

Indulge me on this last comment on the matter
I bet Chipper changes his name to SWF or his avatar to Jennifer Jason Leigh!
😜

#16 2017-03-11 15:19:43

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

^ All right and true  Berkeley, especially the first paragraph.  But these beys just don't want to let it go, they want the flag bearing and the aggro. It's making me tired.

John Simons

#17 2017-03-11 15:24:11

Berkeley_Breathes

#18 2017-03-11 15:27:34

Berkeley_Breathes

#19 2017-03-11 15:40:46

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#20 2017-03-11 15:58:40

Berkeley_Breathes

#21 2017-03-11 16:39:17

Patrick

^ Thus Spake Cousin Dick

Just kidding. I don't have a cousin Dick. But if I did, he'd talk like that.

Whatever happened to the Inane Post of the Day? That was an excellent place to vent the ol' spleen.

Later...Oh never mind, I see it in the Wardrobe. I never go there. Rough neighborhood.

Last edited by Patrick (2017-03-11 16:44:43)

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#22 2017-03-11 17:28:59

Chipper

#23 2017-03-11 17:53:52

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#24 2017-03-11 18:18:25

Chipper

Board footer