You are not logged in.

#26 2016-07-28 01:40:51

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Re: Teenage Ivy On A Budget

I still have and wear some stuff I bought when I was around 15 smile, my Harrington is one of those things.

#27 2016-07-28 01:53:52

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

If there's some kind of outlet village nearby with a Ralphy store, the chinos are always a good buy.

When I was 15, I was a 15.5 or medium size shirt, now I am either a 16/41 or a 16.5/42 depending on the make. It's thirty years ago now, hard to accept those years have passed, I remember some events as if they were only yesterday and I can almost feel they way it was.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#28 2016-07-28 01:58:28

Chief Brody

Tomiskinky wrote:

If you have time and it's convenient, come east and see what Blackmans have in stock - might luck out of some Playboys. They stock dessies too but remember their motto, "the devil wears Prada, the people wear plimsoles - 5"

Hi Tomi, where is this Blackmans shop?

#29 2016-07-28 02:30:04

McGeorge Bundyburger

Throwing in my tuppence worth, I'd go with the advice that Uniqlo and Muji are excellent places for Woof's nephew to start his Ivy journey, getting the wardrobe basics already outlined.

My only worry is that if the young fella discovers that a bunch of older blokes on an online forum are debating how to dress him, he'll run screaming towards the nearest youth tat chain.  Much as I'm enjoying the thread, to the sceptical teenage eye it might look more like this...

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h334/blue_mick/dress-up-game-boy-paper-doll-clothes-set-46279891_zps7l4ah97u.jpg

#30 2016-07-28 03:10:52

Sid Ford

John Lewis normally always have a decent striped tee with a good neck line
For example: http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-org … Navy/White

#31 2016-07-28 05:03:30

Tomiskinky

Chief Brody wrote:

Tomiskinky wrote:

If you have time and it's convenient, come east and see what Blackmans have in stock - might luck out of some Playboys. They stock dessies too but remember their motto, "the devil wears Prada, the people wear plimsoles - 5"

Cheshire Street off Brick Lane.

Clothes make the man - naked people have little or no influence on society! M.Twain

#32 2016-07-28 05:17:48

Acton_Baby

woofboxer wrote:

Desert boots - I was thinking Roamers unless there any other suggestions

With the sales on at the minute Clarks might be a better option, worth a look in Clarks store and online.
Got a pair in 'Loden Green' for 40 from the Clarks shop on Regent Street last week.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#33 2016-07-28 05:23:28

Chief Brody

Tomiskinky wrote:

Chief Brody wrote:

Tomiskinky wrote:

Noice!

#34 2016-07-28 07:14:00

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Chief Brody wrote:

Tomiskinky wrote:

Chief Brody wrote:

Noice!

Gor blimey guv'nor, salt of the earth cockneys in there.

Good bargains to be had if you strike lucky.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#35 2016-07-28 14:54:29

Schmivy

uniqlo and muji. muji made a good summer weight olive M65 knockoff last year, might be a few on eBay now.

a few other ideas:

clarks factory shops (all over the place, peckham and woolwich both had stone dessies and a few other colours for 39-49 quid last week)
tk maxx (obvious but useful with persistence)
ralph outlets (ashford - although small - usually has a few interesting things, bicester too)
sunglass hut outlets (often carry classic ray-bans and persols around half price)
military surplus stores (how about a 60s USN peacoat?)
dickies or carharrt clothing from online workwear suppliers (dickies do a good cheap coach jacket, for example)

if he's 15 now then he'll be having formal interviews in a couple of years, so can't go wrong with a knitted tie, navy blazer, longwings.

#36 2016-07-28 15:01:27

Schmivy

And there used to be a UK eBay seller who sold NOS Baracutas for 60ish quid, maybe they're still around?

STYLE VAULT FOR MEN C/O BMB CLOTHING LTD

#37 2016-07-28 15:30:07

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

McGeorge Bundyburger wrote:

Throwing in my tuppence worth, I'd go with the advice that Uniqlo and Muji are excellent places for Woof's nephew to start his Ivy journey, getting the wardrobe basics already outlined.

My only worry is that if the young fella discovers that a bunch of older blokes on an online forum are debating how to dress him, he'll run screaming towards the nearest youth tat chain.  Much as I'm enjoying the thread, to the sceptical teenage eye it might look more like this...

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h33 … 4ah97u.jpg

Ha! We all love a project don't we? It's no good trying to push kids into a direction they are not sure of, best to plant a seed then let them think they thought of it themselves!

Great suggestions on here, thanks a million chums.

John Simons

#38 2016-07-28 15:39:46

De Leeuw

woofboxer wrote:

Chief Brody wrote:

Tomiskinky wrote:

Noice!

I took a friend here once, knowing he was in the market for a pair of good, plain shoes.  I witnessed Blackman Jr. (Blackman Sr., if present, usually smoking a roll-up out front.) quite literally, sell my friend the shoes off his own feet.  Still warm.

Hit-and-Miss, but worth trip for the interaction.

#39 2016-07-29 01:14:02

Tomiskinky

De Leeuw wrote:

woofboxer wrote:

Chief Brody wrote:

Noice!

I took a friend here once, knowing he was in the market for a pair of good, plain shoes.  I witnessed Blackman Jr. (Blackman Sr., if present, usually smoking a roll-up out front.) quite literally, sell my friend the shoes off his own feet.  Still warm.

Hit-and-Miss, but worth trip for the interaction.

Hahaha, you gotta take the banter, but they are great for a bargain. He always shouts hello to me when I pass, last time I went I even got extra discount for customer loyalty and sending business his way.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/3364264/cockney-urine-o.gif

Last edited by Tomiskinky (2016-07-29 01:14:14)

Clothes make the man - naked people have little or no influence on society! M.Twain

#40 2016-07-29 01:38:11

Bop

Haha..!

#41 2016-07-29 02:01:26

MCM Geography Teacher

Send him to the Ludovico medical facility to watch Jazz On A Summers Day?

http://netflixlife.com/files/2016/04/Clockwork.jpg

'Bill Murden becomes the hero of the day as he rescues a confused duck.'

#42 2016-07-29 04:19:13

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

Schmivy wrote:

And there used to be a UK eBay seller who sold NOS Baracutas for 60ish quid, maybe they're still around?

STYLE VAULT FOR MEN C/O BMB CLOTHING LTD

I don't think so. This was all before the brand was sold to the Italian holding. There was a gal who worked there and sold some Baracutas, the shop you mentioned was their official outlet on ebay.

Just to get a repp..

#43 2016-07-29 04:21:17

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

woofboxer wrote:

McGeorge Bundyburger wrote:

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h33 … 4ah97u.jpg

Ha! We all love a project don't we? It's no good trying to push kids into a direction they are not sure of, best to plant a seed then let them think they thought of it themselves!

Great suggestions on here, thanks a million chums.

These are very wise words.

Just to get a repp..

#44 2017-04-20 14:14:22

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z406/woofboxer/IMG_0942_zpsxabgkpyq.jpg

Well here is an update on the ivy nephew project. Here sporting an old John Simons jacket, a new JS shirt and Roamers dessies. Sadly I just can't divert him from the skinny low rise jeans yet.....all his mates wear them, I guess he'll work it out for himself eventually.

John Simons

#45 2017-04-20 19:46:58

Berkeley_Breathes

Looks good! Is the collar buttoned? I think with the collar buttoned and the jeans, it's a really nice blend of old and new.

Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

#46 2017-04-21 03:45:19

Sid Ford

Get him to Muji
Some decent and cheap Ivy-ish stuff in there at the moment: good striped tees, decent button downs including short sleeve, linen 3/2 roll patch pocket jacket etc

#47 2017-04-21 04:06:21

GeorgieBoy

woofboxer wrote:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z40 … bgkpyq.jpg

Well here is an update on the ivy nephew project. Here sporting an old John Simons jacket, a new JS shirt and Roamers dessies. Sadly I just can't divert him from the skinny low rise jeans yet.....all his mates wear them, I guess he'll work it out for himself eventually.

We've all been there, he'll grow out of it (literally)

#48 2017-04-21 14:38:12

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Sid Ford wrote:

Get him to Muji
Some decent and cheap Ivy-ish stuff in there at the moment: good striped tees, decent button downs including short sleeve, linen 3/2 roll patch pocket jacket etc

Cheers Sid

John Simons

#49 2017-05-02 02:29:26

Leer R.

Perhaps you can convince him to such trousers, slim and low but somewhat mid-60s compatible and better than the skinny trousers;

http://www.landsend.co.uk/Mens_Slim_Fit … mp;brand=2

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?ci … =720216002

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?vi … =321470002

P.S. and get him into COS, good slim fit chinos with a proper rise there... and Weekday could have youthful, Ivy compatible stuff, too... (especially denim, youthful cropped chinos that look much better as fashion Ivy trousers than skinny jeans, and sweatshirts)

Last edited by Leer R. (2017-05-02 02:41:01)

http://maennergarderobe.blogspot.co.at

BB Makers shirts: 15.5/33, BB #1, 2 or 4 suits: 38R

#50 2017-05-02 04:30:39

Chipper

Sigh. Kids these days. I don't see even a glimmer of hope anymore.

"Duvel copied my homework." ~ Unknown
Back by popular demand, The Old Man and the Tweed. On tumblr.

Board footer