You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-06 03:57:20

The_Shooman
A pretty face

John Allen Woodward handmade shoos (U.S.A)

http://johnallenwoodward.com/shop/shoe-collection/alligator-shoes/

#2 2015-06-08 14:43:31

isshinryu101

Re: John Allen Woodward handmade shoos (U.S.A)

Interesting.  I do not like to bash someone's business, but that Alligator shoe last is pretty awful.  Bulbous round toe.  $3000.00 for a ready-to-wear calfskin shoe?  He says MTM, but I am dubious when you he has a place to put your shoe size when ordering.

#3 2015-06-08 16:07:51

The_Shooman
A pretty face

His alligator shoe looks so blobby, not the best example to feature on his site.

#4 2017-04-21 17:25:11

Jason_Woodward

I'd love to know what you think of the newer looks John has been making. They can be seen http://johnallenwoodward.com/shop/shoe-collection/alligator-shoes/

#5 2017-04-24 02:39:23

The_Shooman
A pretty face

The round toe last looks quite decent, but the square toe just doesn't look nice at all. Why? Because the toe is much more of a square toe instead of a graceful chisel, and the vamp appears to be quite high at the toe and around the lace area. It almost looks like a mix of a dress shoe last and an orthopedic last. There are so many good lasts out there to buy, but there are also some really ordinary looking lasts like the square toe one you use.

Definitely worth getting some really nice lasts, would make the shoes look completely different. So much good work in the shoes you sell, but it's being let down by lasts that don't sell the shoes so well IMO.  Why not go to China and check out all the lasts in that big factory over there, get a bunch made for cheap and then get a real last maker to duplicate them back home.

Lots of shoe makers in Australia have the same problem, they use terrible looking lasts, ie, more ungainly blocky looking lasts instead of the more graceful refined elegant lasts.  People want nice looking lasts these days, check out the high end dress shoes by Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling etc and you will see what l mean. I know not everyone can wear a nice elegant last, but if you would try to lean towards more elegant lasts they would make your shoes look so much better. If you have your shoes made on great looking lasts and post the pics on your site l would think you would get more interest. At the moment those pictures don't sell your shoes so well because of those ungainly square toe lasts.

I wanted to give you my opinion because l want you to become an iconic maker loved by all, but it all starts with the lasts.

#6 2017-04-25 00:35:19

RFS

#7 2017-04-28 21:48:27

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Board footer