You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-15 03:25:03

Kingstonian

My trip to the Northampton shoe factories

Just some of my experiences from a trip to Northampton. Manton and others have provided fully illustrated threads on Style Forum. I found those interesting, though I know some of you may not like the poster.

Anyway, I got a cheap train up from Euston as I did not fancy driving up the M1. The journey was quick and pleasant. I actually drove to Northampton the following day for a family celebration . The M1 was not the nightmare that it used to be. It was a Saturday but there was not the amount of road works that used to make car trips such a nightmare.

Everyone of the five shoe factories is in walking distance of Northampton station. Church’s is right next to it. I could have caught a taxi but I prefer walking, mooching around and getting a feel for the place.

My first call was J. Lobb - the furthest away in a Northern direction. Straight up through the town centre and just past the racecourse open space. You ring the bell and go upstairs. Like many of the shoe places, it is a proper old factory with a lot of character. The shop is not that  big and the shoes are in boxes down narrow aisles. There were other customers there when I arrived - all foreigners -an American, an Oriental and some Francophone blacks.

I was told there were no Oxfords, but they did have monk shoes. I tried Chapel double monks in museum brown. I liked them and bought them.

Next stop was Trickers. Crockett and Jones were closer but they were not yet open. Trickers has a fine shop. As has been mentioned before, the person who runs the shop is very knowledgeable and helpful. Trickers has a carpark which is welcome as the street is restricted waiting. Lobbs and Crockett & Jones are OK for street parking. I doubled back to Crockett & Jones which already had quite a few people browsing. Their shop is the largest I was in. Contrary to what has sometimes been said, they did have hand grades on sale.. They seemed to have huge numbers of Tetbury chukkas with Dainite soles too. However, in terms of savings nothing could touch  J Lobb. I also found that some C&J shoes had been obviously tried on so many times that you could say they were shop-soiled.

Back to the town centre on a lovely sunny day. I stopped off for a couple of pints (Holden’s Special - very nice) I then went to Church’s. They are right by the rail station. The shop is down a side street from the main reception. They had sample shoes for £75. That would be OK but all samples are in a size 8.5. No good for me. Nothing that looked a great bargain so I left and got the train back.

Please note that the factories close down completely for certain weeks. I was planning to go a fortnight ago but they were closed then. It is also worth ringing ahead to see what stock they have in your size. They will not have the whole range in the factory shop. Certain weeks are better than others. As a Brit, it gave me great satisfaction to see we are still making world class products albeit in limited amounts. It was nice to support a British industry. Obviously you look at people's feet as you are in the town. They are not well shod. It is a typical British town. Dress standards are typical - in other words poor.

I did not visit Edward Green as you have to phone in advance and book an appointment.

Last edited by Kingstonian (2009-06-15 03:27:58)

#2 2009-06-15 03:35:18

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Re: My trip to the Northampton shoe factories

Thanks for the storey. lt's been a dream since l was a kid to visit the John Lobb factory. You are such a lucky guy having the opportunity to see all the Northampton shoo factories. l'm sooo jealous mate.

The Lobb factory was the stuff of legend when l was growing up. All the old Church's shoo salesmen used to tell all the Lobb stories to me as a wide eyed 8 year old.

Last edited by The_Shooman (2009-06-15 03:47:21)

#3 2009-06-15 23:43:07

Cruz Diez

Nice report! I especially liked your description of the surroundings and people, which is absent from most attempts on the forums.

#4 2009-06-16 06:49:52

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

No piccies?

#5 2009-06-16 07:51:06

Kingstonian

Sorry. I do not have a digital camera.

Manton and co. had lots of photos in their SF posts though.

Lobb Chapel is a current model

http://www.johnlobb.com/uk/#/Ready-To-Wear/modele_a_boucle/prestige/chapel

#6 2013-11-24 03:20:08

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#7 2013-11-24 04:33:41

Sammy Ambrose

^ Very nice. Good choice.

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#8 2013-11-24 04:37:43

Kingston1an

Interesting update. The lady in the shop is quite helpful.  Next time I went there was nothing in my size except loafers which I did not want. Plenty in smaller sizes and Oriental customers were happy.

As I say, I like walking and provided you have a map you can easily get to the different factories. I like Northampton - nice market and marvellous shoe museum- though some will find it humdrum.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#9 2013-11-24 05:23:34

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Yes, I would have been happy to walk myself but I couldn't find a shop with map sales. Which of the other factory shops would you say is best to visit, Kingston? I quite fancy the Sargent shop and Barkers, have you been?

#10 2013-11-24 06:11:24

Kingston1an

There are only five in Northampton town - Lobb , Churchs,  Crockett, Trickers and Edward Green. Crockett is only open Friday/Saturday. Edward Green used to be by appointment.

Sargent and Barkers are not in the town but in Northamptonshire. I have not visited them.

Here is a map:-

http://www.northamptonshireleather.com/pdf/factory-shoe-shop-directory.pdf

Last edited by Kingston1an (2013-11-24 06:15:41)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#11 2013-11-24 06:52:24

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Thanks.

#12 2013-11-24 13:20:04

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#13 2013-11-24 13:44:52

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I did see a number of men in bad leather shoes while wearing tracksuit bottoms as it goes. It struck me as that kind of town. I'm going to have to make an appointment for E.G next time. Those half brogues you posted up are on top of the top drawer for me, hopefully I'll find something along those lines.

#14 2017-04-26 13:46:11

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#15 2017-04-26 15:50:57

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#16 2017-04-26 23:30:43

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#17 2017-04-27 01:37:27

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Last edited by The_Shooman (2017-04-27 01:39:12)

#18 2017-04-27 09:15:32

Kingston1an

#19 2017-07-05 14:43:36

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Last edited by Goodyear welt (2017-07-05 14:44:27)

Board footer