You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-06 05:49:07

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Anyone else bored with Instagram yet?

I mean it is boring isn't it?

I was led there from the Weejun blog, which used to be one of the best out there, sadly he hasn't updated it in a long time declaring that 'Instagram is where it's at now'.

My interest in Instagram lasted about a month, from the ivy perspective it just seems like a contest as to who can post the biggest quantity of old pictures, record covers and things otherwise deemed to be cool. Nothing wrong with posting those things, a lot of that sort of stuff is posted on here, but apart from the banal 'liking' of peoples pictures -where is the discussion, the informing, the witty repartee'?

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2 2017-05-06 10:13:46

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: Anyone else bored with Instagram yet?

I think the Instagram format has its place. But I do think that when something new comes up there is a rush to get onto it, and the balance is lost - in this case, a balance of quick-fix Ivy flotsam and jetsam (nothing at all wrong with that) and more in-depth thinking... with forums like TI sitting somewhere in the middle... I think that the more in-depth community will return in time, and the quick-fix side of things will calm down to normal levels... But I also think places like TI are vital to that happening by keeping the flame alive and having the ability to be on either side of the spectrum...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#3 2017-05-06 10:53:22

Chipper

Instagram? That's, like, Tumblr, right?

#4 2017-05-06 13:15:53

Leer R.

#5 2017-05-08 07:48:39

Ian Lawton

To offer the "tutored" opinion of a Media student!!! Steer clear from all of this stuff. My debut here was in talking about media manipulation. Now deleted. On my course we are taught that everybody on the Internet is a troll. Point blank. But there is a question of degree.  Magpie the good, ignore the bad. Always question anybody with a thesis that they are so keen to promote. Actually don't even question them. Just magpie from whatever they come up with.  The idea that Ivy was nothing to do with advertising backed up with advertising copy to prove the antagonistic  poster's point has got me some nice high marks. What do I think? Judge the clothes and not the theories. God willing I have a career in Media ahead of me. And I start with the knowledge that all Media is bent. Things 'Trend' because vested interests want them to trend. Never willingly suspend your disbelief. Magpie!

#6 2017-05-08 10:52:07

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#7 2017-05-08 14:00:42

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#8 2017-05-08 14:25:40

farrago
Ambassador Of Ivy

Tin Tin is on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/thetrad/

#9 2017-05-08 16:08:27

Berkeley_Breathes

#10 2017-05-08 18:47:05

Chipper

I don't know. I'm convinced blogs, forums, instagram, tumblr is for folks what don't have much of a real life, inner or outer. There. I said it.

Electronic is not life.

#11 2017-05-09 08:54:39

Ian Lawton

Both Berkley Breathes and Stanshall are of course right. I'm only relaying what is currently being taught. Do I believe my tutors? Do I parrot what they want to hear to get the marks I need? The answers are no and yes respectively.
The current Red Bull marketing (bluaaargh) campaign is a very nice case in point. They are the first to my knowledge to use the rejection of social media as a selling point and they do reflect a greater trend. What once had value is now devalued by over exposure. Tweeting & FB are by now too ubiquitous to have any merit. The one time bubble has burst.
Those with a wish to link this to the one time over expose of Ivy might also have a valid point.
Stanshall also makes a very valid and further point. The exercise of "being out there" on the internet is more often than not an exercise in self promotion if we are honest with ourselves. Some have products or advertising space to sell. Some have the desire to create a reputation.
My research into all of this online shows both sides. Some people are selling advertising space. Some people are selling themselves as arbiters of style.
I agree that Talk Ivy should be an "information exchange" and it is. But I also know that it was created as a cynical exercise to pick other people's brains to further the interests of one individual. That person is very frank about this. Shameless even.
Do I approve or disapprove? No and yes again. But I accept the nature of this medium.
Am I a troll? Just by voicing the issues above online possibly yes. Are our moderators trolls by calling me on it? Here we get the question of degree.
I suspect this discussion is probably over. Talk Ivy as an information exchange is my interest. Now my degree is towards its end and so my interest in the genesis of our discussions here is over. It's a great micro case study. But it has no impact on whether a jacket is good or bad.
I'm going to join Chipper and watch the show. But I'm not going to judge anybody. I'm just going to look out for all the gems that you unearth & try to add some of my own.
Here's to the information exchange!

#12 2017-05-09 13:31:50

Berkeley_Breathes

#13 2017-05-09 13:57:59

oxford cloth button down

#14 2017-05-09 14:49:03

stanshall

/\  Ox you are a rock.

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#15 2017-05-10 09:26:23

ZarJazz

Instagram works as a creative index for me; I swipe and if I see something I like I investigate further.
I reckon if you're looking for discussion Woof, Instagram is not the place to be...

#16 2017-05-10 10:26:45

Chipper

#17 2017-05-10 10:34:27

GeorgieBoy

#18 2017-05-10 10:55:20

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

I thought Pinterest was the place to be these days?

I wish Mr Lawton would add a few spaces between sentences..... I lost my place twice, and went slightly boss eyed trying to read that last post.

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#19 2017-05-10 13:52:57

plastic palm tree

I like it for the Japanese Ivy guys' feeds.  You wouldn't find them on English-speaking forums and it gives you an insight into how big the style is over there.  I get the sense these guys see themselves as men's fashion #OOTD guys rather than Ivy cultists.

Last edited by plastic palm tree (2017-05-10 13:55:24)

#20 2017-08-08 08:24:06

Yuca

I've finally joined Instagram. Now what? Please recommend me someone to follow.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#21 2017-08-08 10:01:59

An Unseen Scene

Instagram - been and gone

#22 2017-08-08 11:22:36

Yuca

The natural shoulder look went out of fashion circa 67, and I only got into it less than a decade ago, so by my standards I'm doing well.

#23 2017-08-09 12:25:08

Yuca

What about My Space? I might open an account next year.

#24 2017-08-09 15:22:25

Babbling Brooks

Just found you on Friendster Yuca 👍

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere.

#25 2017-08-09 16:21:18

An Unseen Scene

Twitter. I am SquareEndKnuttedTie @an_unseen_scene

Board footer