You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-22 09:08:31

MCM Geography Teacher

S/S OCBD

Any good (decent collar roll) ones available at the moment? Also popover iterations.
thankyouverymuch

'Bill Murden becomes the hero of the day as he rescues a confused duck.'

#2 2017-05-22 10:06:53

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: S/S OCBD

No info on popovers, unfortunately. (Reyn Spooner makes amazing ones, with great collar rolls, but they are of course aloha shirts).

Brooks makes short-sleeve sport shirts, but I can't vouch for their fit. Most of their sport shirts are trim fit, if I remember correctly. They also make ss dress shirts in several of their fits.

LL Bean offers a few ss shirts (the "Wrinkle Free Classic Oxford Cloth Shirt" in short sleeve) - if Brooks is a big collar roll for a big price, then Bean is a decent roll for a decent price. You actually can get a fair Liberty Bell out of their collars, and you can get the shirt in traditional fit (for $40 - half the price of Brooks).

Land's End sells a short sleeve version of their Sail Rigger Oxford. I have one in long sleeve and it's a good quality, comfortable shirt, but it's pretty heavy and I don't think it would look good with a tie. The collar is *okay*.

I'm sure Mercer would put one together for you, and another thing I've seen discussed on the forum in the past is taking a long sleeve OCBD with frayed cuffs or slightly sort/long sleeves and having it turned into a short sleeve...

Good luck, I am also interested in the ss OCBD question...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#3 2017-05-22 10:20:56

plastic palm tree

I was at Spiere & McCaye in Toronto the other day and they had a mock-up of the madras pop-over they are going to be doing this summer.  Looked promising.

#4 2017-05-23 03:59:50

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I have a couple of old Brooks pale blue OCBDs that are past smart wear but converting them to short sleeve sounds like the way to go.

Any thought on sleeve length, I was thinking just on the crook of the elbow with a plain hem?

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#5 2017-05-23 04:49:43

farrago
Ambassador Of Ivy

The sleeves on my SS OCBD (Makers, white, 16" collar) measure 10 1/2" from the top (where the sleeve meets the shoulder) of the shoulder to the end of the sleeve. Taken from the underside of the arm, the measurement is 6".

EDIT: I am getting close to moving this one out of my collection. I tend to wear more casual, patterned shirts in summer. PM if interested.

Last edited by farrago (2017-05-23 06:23:47)

#6 2017-05-23 06:18:53

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

Board footer