You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-15 10:10:26

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Cordings Chinos/Trousers

These are worth a look.

I've never really bothered with Cordings, I've wandered in and wandered out pretty smartish, the place always struck me as the preserve of the panama hat and monocle brigade. However the other day someone posted favourably on Ivy Style regarding Cordings chinos, so I decided to have a look.....

Nicely made in two weights of cotton. The lighter one is best and is available in stone, khaki and British khaki plus some more ... erm adventurous colours if you like. The heavier twill has a slightly 'washed' effect which I'm not keen on personally. The cut is neither baggy or slim with a decent high waist line - pretty much just right in my book.

I actually ended up buying a pair of linen trousers, which were an identical cut. I sized up from 34 to 36 to gain on rise and will have them taken in at the waist. Measurements with a 30" inseam are 12.5" rise and 8.25" across the bottoms.  I'll get some photos up in due course.

https://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear/trousers/flat-front-chinos

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2 2017-07-30 06:13:41

Treble Clef

Re: Cordings Chinos/Trousers

Lapsed member / long-time lurker here.

I have been wearing a few pairs of Cordings chino cloth (not washed) as part of my rotation and found them to be pretty reasonable.

The cons - the finish of the trousers isn't amazing - I have found the buttons on fly work loose and very minimal details / no lining etc. Darker colours are apparently dry-clean only and the lighter ones may shrink a little if machine washed. 2" waist size increment, and the 34" were too tight so I had to size up, leading to a looser seat / thigh than I would like. Cost doesn't include hemming and they can't be returned once hemmed.

The pros - the cloth is a great weight for autumn and sits just like razor sharp 50s/60s catalogue pictures.  I believe these are made in England but some of their trousers are made in Italy / elsewhere. The rise is long and the leg sits very nicely despite being a little wide. They do a good job at alterations (but this can take them into 'made to measure' territory).

Worth trying out and they are on sale / offer quite often. The shop in Piccadilly is also worth a browse just for being such an archetype.

#3 2017-07-30 06:41:11

colin
Bright Light

Would be intrigued to see a photo of what these look like, if you had one? (stock photos don't give away much!)

#4 2017-07-30 11:42:52

Kingston1an

Last edited by Kingston1an (2017-07-30 11:43:24)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#5 2021-12-21 03:17:16

A Fine Sadness

Jdemy has expressed an interest and others have mentioned them over the past couple of days. 
I have no personal knowledge of them.  When shopping in London I used to catch an early train, hop on the tube at Kings' Cross, hop off again at Covent Garden.  I spent up at Russell Street and was on the train home by two.  I suppose that's why they call them 'destination shops'. 
In fact, thinking about it, Cordings do not appeal to me, probably for the reasons Woof and others have outlined.  I might run into Gussie Fink-Nottle within.

#6 2021-12-22 15:01:08

AlveySinger

AFS,
Here's a few reasons to check Cordings:

Great knitwear from lambswool crew necks in a wide range of colours to the best shawl collar cardigan I have ever purchased.

The Follifoot Donegal tweed overcoat is just beautiful

Moleskin jeans. Perfect to pair with suede chuckas

Their regular jeans. Similar to John Simons own brand 5 pockets from a few years back

Raincoats in the Spring

#7 2021-12-22 15:37:58

colin
Bright Light

The Follifoot donegal tweed overcoat does look very nice - would want to check out that collar, though, as looks ever-so-slightly 'off'

#8 2021-12-22 15:38:47

A Fine Sadness

My basic problem is, I don't get down to London these days.  If I did, in spite of my reservations, I would still head straight to Chiltern Street and do my very best to put money into Paul's pocket.

#9 2021-12-22 16:06:38

Yuca

The Cordings raincoat is 87% Polyester 13% Polyamide. You don't have to be a natural fibre purist to find that completely unappealing. (Fortunately I have an all cotton raincoat so for me it matters not.)

Last edited by Yuca (2021-12-22 16:07:28)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#10 2021-12-23 00:37:10

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

The Follifoot coat does look good. Muffy has covered it on her blog

https://www.saltwaternewengland.com/2020/10/the-fabulous-follifoot-for-men-from.html?m=1

Personally I’m good for overcoats having sourced 3 good ones from eBay. Coats never seem to do very well on there so if you’re patient you can find bargains.

Cordings are okay for trousers and jeans but like AFS I would sooner spend at JS.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#11 2021-12-23 04:35:14

A Fine Sadness

Who is Muffy if not the cute blonde who used to do karate kicks against assorted vampires in Vermont?  Edward Gorey was a fan.  I tried it, together with 'Dallas' and 'The X-Files' back in 2015.  I loathed 'The X-Files' and didn't stay the distance with Muffy in spite of that snotty dark-haired girl whose name I now can't remember.  Charisma something or other?  'Dallas' I enjoyed - up to a point.  As Kingsley Amis once said, 'Better 'Dallas' than Dennis Potter'. 
The basic trouble for me is the name Muffy, which I associate with cunnilingus.

#12 2021-12-23 04:42:50

A Fine Sadness

Oh, I see, some middle-aged woman who Brooks Brothers purport to take seriously.

Also something of an authority on compost-mixing.

#13 2021-12-23 04:49:51

A Fine Sadness

Back to Cordings', the mix in that coat Yuca mentions reminds me of Grenfell and Dhobi coats I've seen from the 60s.  Very much so.

#14 2021-12-23 05:31:08

AlveySinger

Yuca,
The raincoat I'm on about is an unlined version in Lovatt that usually appears in Spring. If I recall that is 100% cotton.

I shop where I find things that fit into the broad Ivy spectrum. Mostly from Chiltern Street but I add to the mix Sunspel, Smedley, Crockett and Jones, Trunk (knits and Alden) Levi Vintage and Drakes (sale only but have a few really good shirts from them).

#15 2021-12-23 05:41:42

A Fine Sadness

100 per cent cotton is always appealing - like the 'export only' Burberrys' '21'.  (I think I'm remembering that correctly). 

Since illness descended here in 2019 we have to be careful with money.  But I feel a strong sense of loyalty to the Simons family.  John helped me a lot in the old days.

#16 2022-04-01 02:52:05

AFS

Anyone favour their shirts?  The Mercer TRS mentioned in another thread has great appeal being the button-down model JFM championed years ago.  Does such a shirt put years on the wearer?  Perhaps it does although, not far from my neck of the woods, where the Tory-voting young farmers congregate, no-one would give it a second glance.  I used to shop at 'Graves', suppliers to said gentry, though never encountered a chinless wonder on any of my visits.  Never encountered anyone, come to think of it, which is perhaps why the shop closed down.
Rather dull 'country store' opposite, flogging Barbour and Belstaff.  Attractive ladies, indifferent clothing.

#17 2022-04-01 08:04:46

AlveySinger

I have only purchased one shirt and my recommendation is stick well clear.
The cut of the shirt reflects the shooting heritage of the brand. There is a lot of fabric on the body to accommodate raising your shotgun into a shooting position.
Quality wise they are superb and represent very good value.
They also have some lovely bright tattersall check brushed cotton deigns.

#18 2022-04-02 00:18:05

AFS

I've been looking over all manner of check shirts for the past couple of days, ranging from Brooks Brothers to Cordings to bloody Champion (!), and am unconvinced by everything I've seen so far.  The collars all look dreadful - dreadfully stiff.  From what I recall of the Andover Shop button-down, it at least had a decent roll, even if it was claimed that they failed to emulate Brooks Brothers (although some Brooks Brothers collars on shirts I've had recently, whether made in the USA or Italy, have been shite and sent to charity shops).

Board footer