You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-05 12:32:50

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

J Press Activities in New York

As reported on Ivy Style back in May, this autumn J Press are moving back into Midtown in New York City and will be quartered in the ground floor of the Yale Club on 44th Street, just around the corner from Madison Ave where their much lamented flagship store used to be.

Hopefully I will get to the new premises one day, it will be great to see J Press back amongst the last bastions of traditional American menswear, Brooks (just about traditional), Kamakura Shirts, Alden Shoes, Allen Edmonds, all of whom have shops in that area.  However in the meantime, as I was on holiday in NY last week, I paid a visit to the J Press shop in Greenwich Village.

This branch formerly opened as an adjunct the to the fomer flagship in Midtown and was primarily to sell their more contempary York Street line, which doesn't seem to have been a great success as they dropped it after a couple of years. They then launched J Press Blue, a slightly less contemporary ... contemporary line. So the Greenwich Village shop is selling a mixture of their traditional staple items and the J Press Blue stuff. The shop has a nice clubby feel with leather sofas and plenty of ivy memoribilia, a place where you can relax and take your time to peruse the clobber. The amiable staff Dan and Justin enthused to me about the autumn/winter tailored stuff due in soon,  which is being made by a new manufacturer. Samples I examined promise a more natural shoulder than has recently been the case. I got a definite feel that J Press have realised that they have drifted away from the wants and needs of their main customer base and are seeking to redress the situation......more power to them.

One interesting piece of news was that the company are going to produce a printed catalogue this year which will be styled on their old catalogues from the heyday. I had a sneak preview and its looking really good, can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2 2017-08-05 13:05:14

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: J Press Activities in New York

woof, thanks for the update! I always love to see these companies decide to embrace their heritage more... I'll have to swing by both stores soon!

Unfortunately I was out of the city the last couple weeks, but I've just moved there permanently, the next time you're over here for a holiday we should check the offerings out together. I'm up at the top of Manhattan but would love to take the A train down to see anyone from the hallowed halls of Talk Ivy!

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#3 2017-08-06 09:09:27

stanshall

we will be all drinking at the lobby bar and then hunting for emblematics very very soon, this is very good to hear and seems like the natural move for J. Press ....

JP at the YC of NYC .... just have to keep an eye on the people from Dartmouth and UVA who are sometimes seen lurking around the place, ruining the tone ......

just kidding ... about the Dartmouth people .....

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#4 2017-08-06 18:40:44

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#5 2017-08-10 07:54:10

alkydrinker

#6 2017-08-10 14:03:53

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#7 2017-08-10 14:27:22

alkydrinker

^Thanks very much, that's a big help

Board footer