You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-12 09:57:21

An Unseen Scene

Dressing for the races

Hi everyone, I am off to York Races this month and fortunate to be invited to a VIP area. As a stimulus for some discussion, I welcome your thoughts on options for dress that day.   

The guidance is:
"Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket, collared shirt and tie in County Stand.  Most gentlemen would choose to wear smart trousers and formal shoes to complete the look. Whilst no formal restriction on wearing jeans and trainers, these are rarely seen in the County Stand. In a similar vein, whilst we encourage a sense of style in the County Stand, if gentlemen believe the weather warrants shorts then there is no formal restriction to them being worn."

I have some options and thoughts but welcome your choices if it was you going along.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2017-08-12 10:00:39)

#2 2017-08-12 10:56:45

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: Dressing for the races

Leaving aside any thoughts of top hat and morning dress which I often see on the train during Royal Ascot -haha! 90% of the blokes will either be wearing their office suit or will be men who never wear their one and only suit and will looking very uncomfortable. Either way you will be in a sea of naff royal blue slim fit suits and tan coloured pointy toe shoes. You have the opportunity to cut a dash in a lightweight ivy summer jacket or blazer with crisp pressed chino or slacks maybe a madras tie and loafers or bucks. Revel in your style and remember at all times that you are representing Talk Ivy. Don't let this stop you drinking too much and fancying young fillies.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#3 2017-08-12 14:09:50

Berkeley_Breathes

If you fail to live up to our standards, you will of course be banned immediately.

Just kidding... Like woof said, this seems like this is a great opportunity to dress really well without becoming the center of attention... Most times if you wanted to go "full Ivy" you'd stick out like a sore thumb (go for it anyway, obviously), but here, everyone will be at the same level of formality, it's just that everyone else will be wearing their age-inappropriate GQ recommendations from last summer, and you'll be crushing it with a 3/2 roll and cuffed trousers.

And definitely snag a pic!

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#4 2017-08-12 14:21:17

An Unseen Scene

Yes looking at pictures it is a horror display of shiny, slim cut cheap suits, even shinier slim ties and pointed shoes.

I have some opens coming together in my mind dependent on weather.  Some days are as wet and cold as Autumn recently, otherwise - so will finalise near the time.

#5 2017-08-12 17:18:09

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#6 2017-08-12 18:03:18

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#7 2017-08-13 01:57:59

Treble Clef

#8 2017-08-13 09:11:05

Berkeley_Breathes

#9 2017-08-13 10:18:04

Babbling Brooks

I remember the year they enforced a ban on ties at Ascot....complete chaos!

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere.

Board footer