You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » John Simons - Opinions on his Chinos and OCBDs needed

#1 2017-08-24 03:51:11

Mr.Modern

John Simons - Opinions on his Chinos and OCBDs needed

Hello fellow forum users,

since I started building an interest in the Ivy League Look in the last 1,5 years, it was and still is a challenge to find the core Ivy gear with the right measurements and details.
So I spent a lot of time doing research (e.g. by reading the numerous threads of this wonderful forum!) and trying to find an Ivy supplier in Europe since the shippment to Germany and the customs duty from the US increase the costs for a single OCBD or pair of chinos to an riddiculous level.  Then I found John Simons.

I read possibly every thread regarding his items, but some facts might already be outdated and because I did not want to reanimate threads from years past, I thought it would be better to gather my questions in a new one.

I read in older threads that JS changed the supplier for his chinos in the last years multiple times. Does anybody has experience witth the recent chinos and might share his impressions?  Likewise, I'm interested in his buckle back chinos, however, his site does not give any information about them except the waist measurements. Does anybody have information regarding their rise or if they come unhemmed? I really like to get them cuffed, but his regular chinos just come with an 33 inch leg and therefore do not have a lot material to get a proper cuff.

Furthermore, I'm looking for decent button downs that can be worn with a tie and have the right collar length to create a nice collar roll. I tried to find some pictures of JS button downs with a tie online, but all of them showed the shirts with an unbuttoned top button. Likewise, I saw Can anybody say, if the JS BD are suited to be worn with a tie and produce a collar roll or they just a thing for casual wear?
Of course, I could send JS the same questions by mail (and I might will when I finally decided to order some of their stuff), but I would really like to know your opinions and experiences.

#2 2017-08-24 04:58:43

Treble Clef

Re: John Simons - Opinions on his Chinos and OCBDs needed

Hi Mr.Modern. They seem to have so many versions of their items knocking around it would be hard for anyone on here to say whats what. I'm sure the shop staff would be as helpful over the phone as they are in the store though. If it bothers you it's worth asking where items are made, I wouldn't assume they are made in USA,UK, Italy etc...

If it's an OCBD you are after I have a few from Drakes which are nice. I'm sure they can ship to Germany.

#3 2017-08-25 09:14:05

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Hello Modern and welcome aboard!

JS Chinos - the current versions are a fairly slim cut and the waistline is mid-rise I would say, quality is good for the price. Most people would be happy with the cut but if you are looking for high rise pants they won't satisfy.

OCBD - the collars are pretty much spot on and engineered for a good roll. The shirts have back buttons on the collar and button down flap pockets too which are quite rare features. Quality is very good on the OCBDs with a good sturdy Oxford cloth. The Madras shirts are excellent too. The only observation I would make is that the shirts come on generic sizes S-M-L-XL. I take a size 16-33 generally and I find that a size L John Simons fits well, except that the sleeves are on the long side.

As has been said they are very helpful on the phone.

Back to chinos - I and others on here have been very pleased with Orvis Ultimate Trim Fit khakis, good quality and cut for about £90. They have a UK website but seem to be  be out of stock at the moment though so worth keeping on.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#4 2017-08-29 05:39:06

Mr.Modern

Thanks for your recommendations! The Orvis khakis look nice! I own a pair of non-iron Land's End chinos that look similiar and wile I like them overall, I tend to prefer chinos without non-iron treatment/permanent crease, because of their versatility.  I wrote an e-mail to JS with my questions via their 'contact us'-feature last friday, but did not receive an answer yet. I am wondering if my message really got through.

#5 2017-08-29 06:29:53

An Unseen Scene

JS are best contacted on phone, or Twitter after that.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » John Simons - Opinions on his Chinos and OCBDs needed

Board footer