You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » wealthy Chinese shun Louis Vuitton and Gucci as too popular

#26 2017-10-15 20:39:47

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: wealthy Chinese shun Louis Vuitton and Gucci as too popular

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#27 2017-10-15 21:09:10

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Last edited by The_Shooman (2017-10-16 14:19:15)

#28 2017-10-15 23:56:07

Babbling Brooks

I think really what it boils down to, is the luxury market just an ego trip? Or is it the height of craftsman ship meeting a willing patronage?

Being someone who loves clothes for what I hope are the right reason, ie their worth in terms of their design, which means that don't actually have to break the bank on order to buy what I like, I once upon a time did have the wonger and lack of responsibility that  I could shell out on luxury items, and I'd have to say with shoes and outerwear it is worth it, everything else I not so sure I'd bother, however if you have the money and there is someone out their genuinely trying to craft the most beautiful things well maybe they need you're support, the idea of marketing and grossly branded luxury wear is a bit of a mugs game Imo, if you're shelling out for inferior products because it won't carry kudos with a group of people you're trying to impress well, you're probably not actually that in to clothes for the sake of clothes.

Last edited by Babbling Brooks (2017-10-15 23:59:20)

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere.

#29 2017-10-27 03:35:34

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#30 2017-11-02 01:46:06

The_Shooman
A pretty face

A man who is a total label worshipper. Doesn't buy anything that is not a big brand name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvFHypC7-Qc

#31 2017-11-02 11:16:44

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#32 2017-11-02 12:35:55

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#33 2017-11-02 12:53:26

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#34 2017-11-02 13:26:25

Babbling Brooks

Why does anyone ever choose to wear pointy shoes in what ever era?

#35 2017-11-02 13:33:52

Babbling Brooks

Last edited by Babbling Brooks (2017-11-02 13:34:18)

#36 2017-11-02 14:36:01

Berkeley_Breathes

#37 2017-11-03 00:32:10

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#38 2017-11-03 16:54:44

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I went into that Flannels store in Manchester when I was there for a soul weekender. I'd been in a few years before and seem to recall it was a pretty good shop. Not sure what happened inbetween then and now but that bloke in that vid would love it. Right load of shite. Whats with those Valentino trainers with the spikes all over them. Never have I seen such a load of shite in one place...and the prices. My god. Phillip Plein, WTF is that all about?
https://www.flannels.com/men

#39 2018-01-01 05:49:33

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Last edited by The_Shooman (2018-01-01 06:21:03)

#40 2018-03-22 03:52:31

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#41 2018-03-22 08:17:34

Berkeley_Breathes

#42 2018-03-22 23:43:39

Beestonplace

I LOVE , this foum

#43 2018-03-28 01:24:33

The_Shooman
A pretty face

A video where a lady buys a pile of largely useless ugly junk from Hermes. Best to skip through it quickly, but facsinating to see the tragic mindsets of these poor women have. She parts with her money to buy hideous jewelery and horses and other silly things. I think it is all about the brand,it seems to turn people into robots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjYktvwjdoo

#44 2018-03-28 01:45:27

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

How can someone so moronic attain the wealth to buy stuff so moronic?

#45 2018-03-28 13:38:18

Berkeley_Breathes

Different strokes for different folks. It can be about the brand but there are also those who enjoy buying those things for the items themselves... I'm all for discussing the rise of brand junkies and its relation to luxury, the vid of that one guy was a great example, Mel in Melbourne may very well be another but it's also worth remembering that personal tastes can differ and that's okay...

This is a fascinating thread, it'd be a shame if it turned into a snobby hate thread for people who happen to like certain brands...

#46 2018-03-31 03:50:22

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Louis Vuitton Is Now A 'Brand For Secretaries' In China
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFDSoXNSlzc

As l said the other day, L.V is massed produced and over exposed and not very special. People with discerning taste have gotten over the growing mediocrity factors that stem from mass production and now want something more.

Instead of buying something massed produced, why not have something bespoke like this:
https://launer.com

If it is good enough for the Queen of England it should be good enough for the masses. But then again, Launer is not in the magazines and carried by people on the telly, and doesn't have a recognizable label because it is not a brand for the masses. Quite ironic....the masses will pay more for something that is mass produced with label recognition over the real thing.

#47 2018-03-31 09:01:20

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#48 2018-03-31 15:53:57

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Let's face it, for a variety of reasons, most of them small minded, people want to buy things with name recognition. It has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with cachet and avoiding getting ripped off. I find most people live in fear of being taken advantage of, which is ironic considering few of them understand value.

#49 2018-03-31 16:40:31

Berkeley_Breathes

#50 2018-04-01 02:08:03

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

That varies from product to product within most brands I've found. Gucci knitwear is fantastic (in the main) but their suits suck. If their knitwear is worth the money I'm not convinced but its nice stuff. I've been eyeing up the Bally Silo sneakers, great design, real nice looking but I'm just not prepared to shell out £300 for a pair of canvas sneakers. They look great but come on...£300?

Maybe the price piont is the appeal for the middle classes that want to be seen that they can afford goods thats aren't worth the money? Even if it means spending more than is reasonable for their income.

The oddest thing I can think of is buying a Kiton/Attolini/Fineamore ect shirt at full retail when you could get one by someone like Inglese for half the dough thats made to your spec with tons more handwork.

There are of course people that don't have to worry about cost and most likely don't stop to think about value, like when I buy a coffee. Recently a store in town had an Attolini trunk show and a guy purchased 4 MTM suits (starting at £4k). One was going to be left at his house in France. Top quality stuff, no doubt about that and TBF if you've got the dough fair play. 

Its the label snobs that buy stuff from the likes of Boss that are the real suckers, or stupid horse things from Hermes. I do know anyone who says to Mel, "I like your horse toy" will get told its by Hermes. Sad really.

Last edited by Goodyear welt (2018-04-01 02:09:56)

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » wealthy Chinese shun Louis Vuitton and Gucci as too popular

Board footer