You are not logged in.

#126 2017-11-03 14:18:59

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: I am after a new Shetland

I'm afraid I don't get out of bed for less than ten grand a day now.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#127 2017-11-03 14:32:44

Tommy

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b4/b8/28/b4b8281ad1b5c11763e76c2d86fe3226.jpg

Getting back on topic after Stan's latest contribution I think, plus Norma here is in an actual Shetland.

#128 2017-11-03 14:34:18

Tommy

Now is it handwoveb in Scotland though, that's the question?

#129 2017-11-24 11:46:09

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

A shout for Leith Clothing Shetlands ... got one the other day and after a couple of wearings I'm very pleased. The quality seems good, saddle shoulder and a close fitting neck, warm but not rediculously heavy i.e. wearable in the Southern UK winter. They've got some really great colours and the sweaters are made in the Shetlands by little old ladies in lonely crofts (well I made that up but it might be true). They have the same little Scottish tags on them as others, possibly Jameson's, have. Very reasonably priced at 75 + a fiver for delivery. Overseas shipping is cheap as well. Leith are only a small outfit and I think they are run by a smashing young chap who used to work in John Simons. They do a couple of designs of madras shirt too which I believe are very good, although I've never tried them myself. I went for This salmon colour as I've fancied a pink one for a long time ... ooh matron.

https://s8.postimg.org/b48er2px1/IMG_1364.jpg

John Simons

#130 2017-11-24 12:49:57

Berkeley_Breathes

woofboxer wrote:

A shout for Leith Clothing Shetlands ... got one the other day and after a couple of wearings I'm very pleased. The quality seems good, saddle shoulder and a close fitting neck, warm but not rediculously heavy i.e. wearable in the Southern UK winter. They've got some really great colours and the sweaters are made in the Shetlands by little old ladies in lonely crofts (well I made that up but it might be true). They have the same little Scottish tags on them as others, possibly Jameson's, have. Very reasonably priced at 75 + a fiver for delivery. Overseas shipping is cheap as well. Leith are only a small outfit and I think they are run by a smashing young chap who used to work in John Simons. They do a couple of designs of madras shirt too which I believe are very good, although I've never tried them myself. I went for This salmon colour as I've fancied a pink one for a long time ... ooh matron.

https://s8.postimg.org/b48er2px1/IMG_1364.jpg

Thanks for the info woof, I've had Leith on my list for quite a while for Shetlands, they really are a very reasonable price and I'm glad to hear they're worth it...

Straight from the Shetland model's mouth...

"Always take your job seriously, never yourself." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

#131 2017-11-24 13:32:04

Babbling Brooks

I'm sat in my v-neck shetters from JS that had that very same tag....very warm it is too!

Dirty bucks I want you, dirty bucks I need you, woh-oh.

#132 2017-11-24 13:37:53

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Berkeley - what are the customs charge implications for importing from the U.K. to the U.S.A?

John Simons

#133 2017-11-24 13:42:18

Babbling Brooks

#134 2017-11-24 14:01:15

Berkeley_Breathes

woofboxer wrote:

Berkeley - what are the customs charge implications for importing from the U.K. to the U.S.A?

No idea... Usually it's just a steeper shipping price coming from the UK, $20-25 in my experience. I've never had to deal with any specific customs charges on my end so they must wrap it into shipping etc...? Either way, it's not prohibitive to ship from the UK, I've bought cricket equipment and clothes from your side of the pond and while it is more expensive with the shipping, it's not too bad...

#135 2017-11-24 14:37:15

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

woofboxer wrote:

No idea... Usually it's just a steeper shipping price coming from the UK, $20-25 in my experience. I've never had to deal with any specific customs charges on my end so they must wrap it into shipping etc...? Either way, it's not prohibitive to ship from the UK, I've bought cricket equipment and clothes from your side of the pond and while it is more expensive with the shipping, it's not too bad...

Gosh, wish it was the same the other way!

John Simons

#136 2017-11-24 14:54:05

Berkeley_Breathes

woofboxer wrote:

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

woofboxer wrote:

Gosh, wish it was the same the other way!

On the other hand, my bank blocks credit card charges from the UK unless it's through PayPal... so it can still be a headache. I do wonder why shipping is so onerous for you all and easier for us? Most UK online stores now have the option to put prices in $, too, which is nice... Can you do that for pounds with, say, LL Bean?

#137 2017-11-24 15:17:15

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

^ Yes LL Bean do their prices in 's but you still get captured for customs charges which takes the edge off any discounts that are on offer!

John Simons

#138 2017-11-24 20:35:59

Berkeley_Breathes

woofboxer wrote:

^ Yes LL Bean do their prices in 's but you still get captured for customs charges which takes the edge off any discounts that are on offer!

Damn, that sucks. Now I see why you all buy so much when you come over here!

#139 2017-11-30 16:08:26

Babbling Brooks

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5639cf4fe4b0a98c69bd3d33/59241d8d8419c239f2795118/5992c1f9be65946755a9199a/1502897343916/martingreatbearsmall.jpg?format=300w

6-ply shaggy dog, Harleys' The Great Bear

#140 2017-12-17 06:18:49

Treble Clef

Use 'VIPSALE' for 25% off at End Clothing - good stock of Jamiesons (and some other brands of interest) for 67 a piece.

#141 2017-12-20 14:47:43

Treble Clef

Just to add to the existing consensus the Jamiesons ones are great. They aren't super shaggy but definitely have that 'Shetland' look. Fit a little long but I am under 6ft.

#142 2017-12-20 17:08:32

Berkeley_Breathes

Treble Clef wrote:

Just to add to the existing consensus the Jamiesons ones are great. They aren't super shaggy but definitely have that 'Shetland' look. Fit a little long but I am under 6ft.

Nice, Jamieson's are on my short list. Did they fit well otherwise?

#143 2017-12-21 03:23:07

Treble Clef

Yeah, would say they are true to size or could size down for a slimmer fit. I know some woolens not retailed for fashion sites like END are massive, these are def more contemporary cut which ironically is more true to the 60s.

Board footer