You are not logged in.

#26 2017-06-11 23:21:47

Beestonplace

Re: Candy stripes in a business context

You might, if you have the patience. I dont.

#27 2017-12-02 13:15:07

Beestonplace

I have now bought another candy stripe shirt from T&A, this time the medium blue/white one. Even more powerful than the previous one. Still somewhat tame, thanks to the blue/white combo.

#28 2017-12-03 10:43:07

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

I dont see what the big deal about buying these shirts is? I wear these all the time. AND...and, and, and, I work sometimes with some very insecure people who can comment on my shirts or ties and yet they never say anything about these shirts; so I know they dont trigger any anxiety in even the nosiest people.

Le costume fait sur mesure en tissue Fresco est le préféré des ploucs!
Facebook: FNB Dandy  Twitter: @DevilsIslandFNB Instagram: fnbdandy

#29 2017-12-03 11:09:38

Beestonplace

Insecure people can often kill the deal by acting passive aggressive or backstabbing.

#30 2017-12-03 13:57:30

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Beestonplace wrote:

Insecure people can often kill the deal by acting passive aggressive or backstabbing.

I suppose, in extreme cases. I am using them here as an example of reactions to clothes. In my opinion, when you are wearing clothes that are unusual but still quite conventional, such as a Turnbull and Asser Limited Edition shirt, any people who react more to your clothing choices than to the matter at hand are insecure and jealous. That's my opinion and it's based on observation. I don't think anyone has to wear something special or justify what they wear to me. I don't think I need to declare what I wear is better than anything else and that everyone else should also wear it. Further, if someone is wearing something nice, I dont become vengeful, I admire it. I usually think the person is a better or more interesting person. I think an insecure person would think that person is "putting them down" in a non verbal manner.

#31 2017-12-04 10:09:01

Kingston1an

Film Noir Buff wrote:

I dont see what the big deal about buying these shirts is? I wear these all the time. AND...and, and, and, I work sometimes with some very insecure people who can comment on my shirts or ties and yet they never say anything about these shirts; so I know they dont trigger any anxiety in even the nosiest people.

I was more likely to encounter people who could never justify spending anything on ‘clothes for work’.

So their reaction would be more likely bewilderment than insecure anxiety.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#32 2017-12-04 20:12:11

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Kingston1an wrote:

Film Noir Buff wrote:

I was more likely to encounter people who could never justify spending anything on ‘clothes for work’.

So their reaction would be more likely bewilderment than insecure anxiety.

I'm sure the mix is more varied than I expressed and it's true there are also categories of cheapskates. You could probably write a book on cheapskates. For example, there is the wear your shirt until it looks yellowed, greyed or filthy cheapskate.

Then, there is the race-to-the-bottom variety who always bask in having spent a buck for a shirt. Those people are fine, I get annoyed with the ones who ask you what you paid for a shirt. One old broker once followed me into the Mens room on the pretext of admiring my shirts. he kept badgering me how much I paid for them and when I gave him a low balled answer, when we re-entered the conference room, he announced to the other attendees how much I spent on a shirt in order to ridicule me. I asked him, after being in Finance his whole life, if he'd ever met anyone with any money?

Then there's this other crackpot I know who has been talking about getting  a shirt made by some place in South America where it's dirt cheap but he resents the three shirt minimum!

#33 2017-12-04 20:25:21

Berkeley_Breathes

Film Noir Buff wrote:

One old broker once followed me into the Mens room on the pretext of admiring my shirts. he kept badgering me how much I paid for them and when I gave him a low balled answer, when we re-entered the conference room, he announced to the other attendees how much I spent on a shirt in order to ridicule me.

That's hilarious, and sad, especially from someone who just followed another guy into a bathroom to get that information in the first place...

I personally pride myself on buying pricier shirts secondhand... Pick your poison...

Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

#34 2017-12-04 22:46:58

Babbling Brooks

Beestonplace wrote:

STOP PRESS

Super News

My new shirts have arrived.

One fine bengal in white/blue, double cuff; and one gingham royal blue/white, 3 button cuff. And, to really rock it, a white/purple bengal with double cuffs.

Caveat: On their website, T&As colours can come out brighter and stronger than they really are. The royal blue of the gingham one is more like a navy, so the shirt is quite dark and not so much suitable for a business like dress. The purple one looks almost brownish and will be returned.

Other than that, their stuff is just nice; this is how shirts used to be in the old days.

Sorry to hear about the gingham

#35 2017-12-04 23:06:36

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

Film Noir Buff wrote:

One old broker once followed me into the Mens room on the pretext of admiring my shirts. he kept badgering me how much I paid for them and when I gave him a low balled answer, when we re-entered the conference room, he announced to the other attendees how much I spent on a shirt in order to ridicule me.

That's hilarious, and sad, especially from someone who just followed another guy into a bathroom to get that information in the first place...

I personally pride myself on buying pricier shirts secondhand... Pick your poison...

He followed me many times, to see what I was working on and once because I had on black and white spectators and he somehow couldn't believe it and wanted to take a picture of it with his phone while I was engaged at the urinal. I told him I understood his excitement because they doubtless reminded him of his childhood during the roaring twenties. God, he was a tool.

#36 2017-12-04 23:15:00

Babbling Brooks

Workplace romances FNB?

#37 2017-12-05 09:17:36

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Babbling Brooks wrote:

Workplace romances FNB?

Proof that nice clothing can drive people to physical acts. This guy was disturbed in other ways but he was phenomenally jealous of my clothing which amused me no end.

#38 2017-12-05 09:49:55

Berkeley_Breathes

This guy sounds like George Costanza...

And how did *he* dress?

Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

#39 2017-12-05 13:56:13

Beestonplace

What a story. Pics or it did happen.

#40 2017-12-06 17:51:38

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Beestonplace wrote:

What a story. Pics or it did happen.

You want pics of me at the urinal? yikes

He didnt dress well but neither did anyone else on the trading floor so whenever I showed up it was spectacular for him. He would wear those checked sports jackets in those taupe shades that look like they're always made of paper.  He also ate a whole bag of potato chips with lunch, the BIG bags.

Bonus round just for Beesty.

Once I'm standing on the trading floor and he apparently had gotten under his hands and knees to find the floor charger stands. He noticed my red socks and started barking my name from under the tables, asking me if I knew I had red socks on and announcing to everyone else that I was wearing red socks. It never occurred to him how ridiculous he looked crawling around on all floors under the tables and the traders in the area started making fun of him which in turn made him try to get up before clearing the table edge and he thus banged his bald head (He had a Bozo the clown hair fringe).

Board footer