You are not logged in.

#401 2017-11-29 15:20:23

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11099

Re: The Question of Sneakers

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2306/2502281390_deefbc4298_b.jpg


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#402 2017-11-30 00:43:46

RobbieB
Member
Posts: 767

Re: The Question of Sneakers

A fine version of the Dunlop green flash. During the discussion on Timberland boots/ shoes I was trying to think what sneakers I was wearing late 70s early 80s.  I have photos of me ( and the missus) wearing Green flash. I also had Reebok red, white and blue and Puma.


'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

 

#403 2017-11-30 07:15:16

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11099

Re: The Question of Sneakers

RobbieB wrote:

A fine version of the Dunlop green flash. During the discussion on Timberland boots/ shoes I was trying to think what sneakers I was wearing late 70s early 80s.  I have photos of me ( and the missus) wearing Green flash. I also had Reebok red, white and blue and Puma.

yes RobbieB!  I always liked Green Flash but they were basically not available here and still aren't. so I bought a pair iat Lillywhites around '91, which I only had for a short while before my brother appropriated them .......

Puma yes, I've always had at least one pair of Pumas in the quiver since the early '70s, and will take the opportunity here to wish for a good reissue of the California, my latter-day fave from Puma ........

never had a pair of Reebok shoes but may have had some tennis clothes from them back in the mid-'80s .... I like some of their throwback tennis shoes and running shoes actually .....

same brother who nicked my Green Flash is currently wearing some nice Reebok running shoes ..........


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#404 2017-12-07 10:37:41

Classic
Member
Posts: 50

Re: The Question of Sneakers

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

stanshall wrote:

does this rendition of Stan Smith make you want to buy his sneakers or call the police?:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a9/8c/e4/a98c … smiths.jpg

Lock your doors, folks...

Interesting pair of Stan Smiths (?) on John...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b7/ef/98 … 56a7cb.jpg

The black SS were very popular within the Hip-Hop/graffiti crowd in the 80s. Some kind of alternative to the black Adidas Superstar.


"Today, we single-handedly destroyed the polyester industry."

Blog | Instagram

 

#405 2017-12-11 09:56:55

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11099

Re: The Question of Sneakers

Bata tennis hero:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rz5OcfqW5oM/U8qs8HaXMqI/AAAAAAAAbhU/OMw0uRho6HQ/s800/Bata%2520tennis%2520hero%252001%2520300dpi.jpg


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#406 2017-12-11 10:48:21

Tomiskinky
Member
Posts: 3051

Re: The Question of Sneakers

^ Speaking of which, been wearing a pair of these since May, Bata Bullets - 1964 basketball sneakers for the NBA team, the Baltimore Bullets.


https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1490/2586/products/IMG_9220_1024x1024.JPG?v=1496995699

Last edited by Tomiskinky (2017-12-11 10:51:08)


Clothes make the man - naked people have little or no influence on society! M.Twain

 

#407 2017-12-11 11:40:55

Babbling Brooks
Member
Posts: 265

Re: The Question of Sneakers

RobbieB wrote:

A fine version of the Dunlop green flash. During the discussion on Timberland boots/ shoes I was trying to think what sneakers I was wearing late 70s early 80s.  I have photos of me ( and the missus) wearing Green flash. I also had Reebok red, white and blue and Puma.

These along with hi-tecs, would've seen you having the pissed ripped out of you by the beginning of the 90s, I know that much! Just highlights the difference with these things.

Those look ace Tom^^^^^^

 

#408 2017-12-11 12:58:45

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 6113

Re: The Question of Sneakers

stanshall wrote:

/\  Saucony Jazz are comfortable Beebs, I have some, worn them on and off for years, used to get them at Paragon for $35 circa '97, they were a great bargain ... recommended .....

that being said, I'm with both Woof and you in wanting a pair of Brooks Chariots too, I like the way they lace up, think they look cool .....

https://s25.postimg.org/ikiwhht6n/IMG_0790.jpg


Did you get around to trying these Stan or Beebs? I haven't seen them in the shops over here and I is reluctant to order on line as I read some reviews that said that they were very narrow fit. This was the problem with the Ni-ke Cortez re-issue.


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#409 2017-12-11 13:16:58

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11099

Re: The Question of Sneakers

Babbling Brooks wrote:

RobbieB wrote:

A fine version of the Dunlop green flash. During the discussion on Timberland boots/ shoes I was trying to think what sneakers I was wearing late 70s early 80s.  I have photos of me ( and the missus) wearing Green flash. I also had Reebok red, white and blue and Puma.

These along with hi-tecs, would've seen you having the pissed ripped out of you by the beginning of the 90s, I know that much! Just highlights the difference with these things.

Those look ace Tom^^^^^^

people funny boy, that's all I can say about that, them Dunlop Green Flashes are just cool and I wish I could get a pair just like that today ......

the problem isn't people taking the piss, but trying to copy the style, that's always been the case, but I'll just keep on rolling along with the grace from the Lord above, there are worse problems to have  .....

N.B. re the Hi-Tecs: I wanted a pair of their squash shoes in the early '80s but I got the Foot-Joys instead, that's what they had at the good old Co-Op ......


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#410 2017-12-11 13:23:12

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11099

Re: The Question of Sneakers

Tomiskinky wrote:

^ Speaking of which, been wearing a pair of these since May, Bata Bullets - 1964 basketball sneakers for the NBA team, the Baltimore Bullets.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1490/2586/products/IMG_9220_1024x1024.JPG?v=1496995699

excellent stuff Tom, the Baltimore Bullets will always be among the funkiest teams ever, courtesy of Earl the Pearl (even if they weren't wearing the Bata shoes by his time in the early '70s)


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#411 2017-12-11 13:32:32

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11099

Re: The Question of Sneakers

woofboxer wrote:

stanshall wrote:

/\  Saucony Jazz are comfortable Beebs, I have some, worn them on and off for years, used to get them at Paragon for $35 circa '97, they were a great bargain ... recommended .....

that being said, I'm with both Woof and you in wanting a pair of Brooks Chariots too, I like the way they lace up, think they look cool .....

https://s25.postimg.org/ikiwhht6n/IMG_0790.jpg

Did you get around to trying these Stan or Beebs? I haven't seen them in the shops over here and I is reluctant to order on line as I read some reviews that said that they were very narrow fit. This was the problem with the Ni-ke Cortez re-issue.

I've still got them bookmarked Woof but haven't gotten to them yet but I want to ... currently as far as running shoe-style sneakers go I'm into my gray Neww Balance 990 made in Boston Vibram-soled beauties, a great pair of Adidas SPZL New York in gray, and a tough pair of navy leather Adidas ZX 500

and I've got multiple pairs of Saucony Jazz and Adidas Marathons, some still unworn, all over this house

so it might be a while before I get to the Brooks Chariots but I like them and it's possible I'll lose my mind some more and end up with a pair because they look great, that D-ring lacing gets to me in a good way .................


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#412 2017-12-11 13:56:29

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 1493

Re: The Question of Sneakers

Me either woof, other things have taken precedence as I have the Cortez reissues which need to wear out before I can justify spending the money on a replacement while other items are still on the to-do list! Someday...


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

 

#413 2017-12-11 15:21:12

RobbieB
Member
Posts: 767

Re: The Question of Sneakers

stanshall wrote:

woofboxer wrote:

stanshall wrote:

/\  Saucony Jazz are comfortable Beebs, I have some, worn them on and off for years, used to get them at Paragon for $35 circa '97, they were a great bargain ... recommended .....

that being said, I'm with both Woof and you in wanting a pair of Brooks Chariots too, I like the way they lace up, think they look cool .....

https://s25.postimg.org/ikiwhht6n/IMG_0790.jpg

Did you get around to trying these Stan or Beebs? I haven't seen them in the shops over here and I is reluctant to order on line as I read some reviews that said that they were very narrow fit. This was the problem with the Ni-ke Cortez re-issue.

I've still got them bookmarked Woof but haven't gotten to them yet but I want to ... currently as far as running shoe-style sneakers go I'm into my gray Neww Balance 990 made in Boston Vibram-soled beauties, a great pair of Adidas SPZL New York in gray, and a tough pair of navy leather Adidas ZX 500

and I've got multiple pairs of Saucony Jazz and Adidas Marathons, some still unworn, all over this house

so it might be a while before I get to the Brooks Chariots but I like them and it's possible I'll lose my mind some more and end up with a pair because they look great, that D-ring lacing gets to me in a good way .................

I'm currently wearing NB 997 's in grey/burgundy and I love them for walking. For running I have NB Vazee Urge in Royal blue for short distance and an old pair of NB 769's in white/yellow for longer distances. I need a new pair for marathon distance but can't decide yet what to buy. Pleased to see that New Balance are sponsors of the London Marathon (I have a place in the race) and the England cricket team. My first pair of NB running shoes were bought from Lillywhites Piccadilly when the shop was a proper sports store.  I like the New Balance  USA/UK connection


'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

 

#414 2017-12-11 16:40:45

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11099

Re: The Question of Sneakers

like these from 1974:

https://www.hi-tec.co.za/img/pages/heritagePage/1974-squash-classic.jpg


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#415 2017-12-11 18:41:22

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11099

Re: The Question of Sneakers

https://78.media.tumblr.com/74ed0b030670a0f3f88e7dcb4e53d896/tumblr_inline_oclsqkzyYj1qhaans_500.jpg


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#416 2017-12-12 14:03:43

Chief Brody
Member
Posts: 1707

Re: The Question of Sneakers

Bought these for a steal and I may never go back to N!ke. My new favourites.

Saucony Jazz Grey/Grey.

http://www.prodirectselect.com/products … 62668.aspx

 

#417 2017-12-12 18:54:59

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11099

Re: The Question of Sneakers

/\  they've been good shoes for years, I got into them in '98 and have gone through a few pairs, price is right but of course not as good as when I got them for $35 at Paragon, preferably in navy and silver ..... I have a couple of pairs now, NIB, semi-stockpiled .....

much more comfortable than my N!kes it's true, only caveat is they can be just a little bit prone to twisting your ankle because of the height of the sole, do you know what I mean?

I still like them a lot, good value


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#418 2017-12-13 03:27:10

Chief Brody
Member
Posts: 1707

Re: The Question of Sneakers

I bought them for £32 from an eBay shop. Been wearing for a few weeks and havenít experienced the ankle twist. The wedge sole should counter that anyway, plus if you lace them correctly across the bridge youíll be grand.

Much better looking than NB sneakers and much more comfortable than Niiiiiiiikeeeeee.

 

#419 2017-12-13 03:33:42

Chief Brody
Member
Posts: 1707

Re: The Question of Sneakers

WHat do think of these Stan?:

https://www.meyba.com/marti-rock-grey-x … 71480.html

I own a really nice pair of the blue Jogger model:
https://www.meyba.com/jogger-ming-ridge … 71340.html

 

#420 2017-12-13 04:26:29

Acton_Baby
Member
From: West London
Posts: 3712

Re: The Question of Sneakers

^ I have the Miro's , great sneakers and was interested in the Marti might give them a go if they turn up in the sales.

Again for the thrifty minded, it's currently worth a look in Stuarts Outlet pages
https://www.stuartslondon.com/sale/foot … eakers-c69

Some proper bargains.


"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

 

#421 2017-12-13 04:59:44

Tomiskinky
Member
Posts: 3051

Re: The Question of Sneakers

Few well priced sneakers in the Walsh sale, some with a a cool minimal styling and shape of the above. Not a lot of size choice, but you might find yours.

Tornado - Blue Blue - Sale Price £62.50
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b77dbd_070e85f04b4349d69f8abdc508fcf54d~mv2_d_3448_2528_s_4_2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1811,h_1328,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/b77dbd_070e85f04b4349d69f8abdc508fcf54d~mv2_d_3448_2528_s_4_2.jpg

Lostock Sky Blue White - Sale Price £62.50
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b77dbd_46e57a3d276546599ed7a19bc77aa80a~mv2_d_3448_2528_s_4_2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1909,h_1400,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/b77dbd_46e57a3d276546599ed7a19bc77aa80a~mv2_d_3448_2528_s_4_2.jpg

Seoul '88 - White White - Sale Price £57.50
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b77dbd_3dfc2cc0f3ef4d55b57550b986b043d6~mv2_d_3448_2528_s_4_2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1909,h_1400,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/b77dbd_3dfc2cc0f3ef4d55b57550b986b043d6~mv2_d_3448_2528_s_4_2.jpg


Clothes make the man - naked people have little or no influence on society! M.Twain

 

#422 2017-12-13 08:24:42

Chief Brody
Member
Posts: 1707

Re: The Question of Sneakers

Acton_Baby wrote:

^ I have the Miro's , great sneakers and was interested in the Marti might give them a go if they turn up in the sales.

Again for the thrifty minded, it's currently worth a look in Stuarts Outlet pages
https://www.stuartslondon.com/sale/foot … eakers-c69

Some proper bargains.

TK Maxx is where I picked up the Joggers.

 

#423 2017-12-13 11:09:28

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11099

Re: The Question of Sneakers

Chief Brody wrote:

WHat do think of these Stan?:

https://www.meyba.com/marti-rock-grey-x … 71480.html

I own a really nice pair of the blue Jogger model:
https://www.meyba.com/jogger-ming-ridge … 71340.html

had never heard of the brand before your post CB, and I'd never heard of those groovy Walsh either before Tom posted about them a couple of years ago .......

the Meyba Marti look good ... really, what's not to like?  if you're a sneaker freak ......

the ones I think I like best are the Miro in blue ........


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#424 Yesterday 07:51:01

oxford cloth button down
Member
Posts: 1220

Re: The Question of Sneakers

http://oxfordclothbuttondown.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/IMG_5375-e1513349119602.jpg

You know that I love my sneakers!

Stan - I almost copped those green adidas you posted a few pages back. Just confirming that you have good taste wink

 

#425 Yesterday 09:51:12

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11099

Re: The Question of Sneakers

oxford cloth button down wrote:

http://oxfordclothbuttondown.com/wp-con … 119602.jpg

You know that I love my sneakers!

Stan - I almost copped those green adidas you posted a few pages back. Just confirming that you have good taste wink

Oxy my brother I have the Adidas Indoor Super Spzls that your new Busenitz are based on, so you know that I know that you know that I know some fly sneakers when we see 'em

and the Levi's 519 cords go with them so well!


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 Rickard Andersson