You are not logged in.

#551 2017-11-28 19:04:13

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 1488

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

Vladimir C. Stanojevic wrote:

briar, not crack

HA!

I think you're right about that shirt... Light blue banker's stripes on white... I have a very similar shirt... Kind of disappointed it isn't a tux shirt to be honest... He never should have let out the cuffs on those chinos...


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

 

#552 2017-11-29 06:04:28

Vladimir C. Stanojevic
Member
Posts: 11

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

Agreed re the disappointment.

That reminds me - I should dredge out my pair of late '80s red and blue awning stripe, contrasting collar, button-downs before next Spring...

I mean, why not?

Everything going to hell and getting all conformist-like out there does have its advantages for the rest of us.


"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn."

- Gore Vidal

 

#553 2017-11-29 08:08:48

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11097

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

Vladimir C. Stanojevic wrote:

Agreed re the disappointment.

That reminds me - I should dredge out my pair of late '80s red and blue awning stripe, contrasting collar, button-downs before next Spring...

I mean, why not?

Because contrasting collars.


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#554 2017-11-29 08:40:50

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 1488

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

stanshall wrote:

Vladimir C. Stanojevic wrote:

Agreed re the disappointment.

That reminds me - I should dredge out my pair of late '80s red and blue awning stripe, contrasting collar, button-downs before next Spring...

I mean, why not?

Because contrasting collars.

Hahaha!

I do have to say, contrasting collars have never been my bag... But I know there are those here who can do them, Coolidge included...


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

 

#555 2017-11-30 05:59:24

Vladimir C. Stanojevic
Member
Posts: 11

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

I do have to say, contrasting collars have never been my bag... But I know there are those here who can do them, Coolidge included...

Oddly enough, mine neither at least since I last wore those two (Perry Ellis?) shirts in the early '90s.

Hence the idle curiosity to experiment and see if they would in any way appeal to me today - dark blue Moygashel jacket with either blue awning and Nantucket red or with red awning and off-shore green.

Either it could work and strike an interesting note in the context of today it wouldn't have 20 years ago or it could come off as jarring and dirty old man-ish - 50-50 I'd say.

That is why I find threads like this one so fascinating as a reminder of useful ways forgotten and interesting paths not taken - as it were - where one can be inspired - especially by the outliers - to revisit and recombine one's wardrobe as one's tastes evolve and change with the years.

My point being is that it all come down to whether one personally considers Ivy/Trad/Preppy to either be a part of a larger, living, breathing cultural idiom or a set formula for the revival or recreation of a Platonic sartorial ideal which, in some sense, never was by a contemporary sub-culture far removed in time and space from what gave rise to the object of their affections.

It was always "just clothes" to me (heresy!?) ever since my mother shopped for me as a toddler in the '70s.

Being stubborn, I carried on...


"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn."

- Gore Vidal

 

#556 2017-11-30 11:30:30

Babbling Brooks
Member
Posts: 265

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

https://www.harpersbooks.com/pictures/22194_02.jpg?v=1491059905

https://www.harpersbooks.com/pictures/22192_02.jpg?v=1491059903

https://www.harpersbooks.com/pictures/22206_02.jpg?v=1491059916

https://www.harpersbooks.com/pictures/22164_02.jpg?v=1491410748

JPress ads running in popeye Mag 1980

Last edited by Babbling Brooks (2017-11-30 11:31:35)

 

#557 2017-11-30 11:31:43

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 1488

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

Awesome work Brooks, that last pic is especially A+ for me...

Edit: Last pic meaning red sweater Bill Gates kid, not baseball Tom Cruise...


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

 

#558 2017-11-30 13:30:43

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11097

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

interesting to see their interpretations and combinations, and their use of American models and archetypal and pop characters, e.g., a young Bill Gates, the Tom Cruise Risky Business kid, Judd Nelson's Breakfast Club haircut, a shot inspired by the cover of the first Paul Simon LP and Admiral Byrd ....

in the first pic, the pants and the Adidas seem like usable sloppy prep, I had lots of stuff like that as did we all,

that polo shirt is not something I saw back then, and I don't think I saw a sailing anorak like that either, we had the Bean anorak ... the polo shirt looks like Scottish glam rock or even kind of punk, but wasn't part of the late '70s prep I saw ....  the hair however is eerily spot-on, lots of kids had that floppy hair   

in the second pic, I had brown cords like that, still do, from the Andover Shop, so those were definitely around,

the Wallabees as I've mentioned before were looking backwards to high school, some people did not want to wear the same shoes they'd been wearing for the past few years, so Clarks were not that hip '78-'85, people wanted something different, and most people ended up wearing sneakers most of the time because many had had to wear shoes to school as part of the dress code for years and it was a blast to wear sneakers whenever you pleased .... 

as to the snorkel parka, the faux fur on the hood would have been a no-go too, faux-fur and pile were in disfavor back then amongst the preps, and though it's true that Press and Brooks sold coats with pile and faux fur over the years, so did Sears and Penney and that was not always good stuff, not in that good J. C. Higgins workwear way ....

the third pic is funny, that kid looks just like Bill Gates, the hair and glasses are painfully correct ... the white/red plaid buttondown shirt was and is a winter staple, I have them to this day, classic old Sero, Bean, Brooks, Brooksgate ....  not a fan of the crease in the trousers, late '70s prep wanted to be less starchy than those sharp creases, more worn and lived in ....

that red cable sweater seems loud at the moment but that item was certainly around... in a dining hall full of preppies at dinner I see that sweater but it's being worn by a young woman, not Bill Gates ....

fourth picture, again I definitely had khakis like that though not with flaps on the rear pockets, the Beans and Orvises I wore for years did not have flaps, but the ones in the pic are fine ....

the Adidas Stan Smith for sure, had those since the early '70s, they were de rigueur, and were very popular both in high school, where they were still worn for tennis, and in college too, where the Clarks effect was not in effect for them .....

the varsity jacket was around a little bit but it was not cool, it was a little square, retro, and earnest at my college in those years, more of a high school jock thing ....


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#559 2017-11-30 14:38:09

Vladimir C. Stanojevic
Member
Posts: 11

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

stanshall wrote:

... I don't think I saw a sailing anorak like that either, we had the Bean anorak ...

stanshall wrote:

... as to the snorkel parka, the faux fur on the hood would have been a no-go too ....

What strikes me as interesting here is how - to the best of my recollection - both items were almost entirely extinct (unless one was actually a sailor) on campuses from the late '80s to the early 2000s when they suddenly reemerged almost stitch for stitch in the form of Napapijri and Canada Goose to be - by in large - worn by people who had zero functional reason to own them.

Oddly, while the latter is now something of an out-of-date, ghetto brand in most of Europe, it is still popular 15 years later here in the Mid-West and, if I recall, wasn't  J. Press carrying it of late?


"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn."

- Gore Vidal

 

#560 2017-11-30 16:52:03

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 6112

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

^ Canada Goose a 'ghetto brand', how do you make that out?

They're popular alright, but hardly cheap.

Here's one of their mid range jackets - a snip at £900.

https://www.canadagoose.com/uk/en/citad … mp;start=1


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#561 2017-11-30 18:19:58

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 1488

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

woofboxer wrote:

^ Canada Goose a 'ghetto brand', how do you make that out?

They're popular alright, but hardly cheap.

Here's one of their mid range jackets - a snip at £900.

https://www.canadagoose.com/uk/en/citad … mp;start=1

Vlad - I've never, ever heard Canada Goose referred to as a "ghetto brand" (iffy terminology in several ways), nor have I ever seen it worn as such. It seems to be popular among, as woof points out, people who can afford them. It's a yuppie coat and a new-rich coat. Interestingly, Canada Goose was founded in 1957...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7e/30/85/7e308596cd80b0e1ac3a09a4b5887c9d--canada-goose-jackets-coats--jackets.jpg

I don't know how you've clocked it as an out-of-date or anything else brand in Europe if you're living in the Midwest. I don't know what's happening on the ground fashion-wise in Europe, and if you're living in the Midwest then I live closer to it than you.


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

 

#562 2017-11-30 20:06:17

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11097

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

I had a good khaki overstuffed down parka made of cotton poplin with smooth green ripstop lining and detachable hood, no fur, got it from EMS I think with the help of one of my freshman roomies who knew about stuff like that

it was a lifesaver that first winter, then I learned to streamline things mainly because there was no room to stow big down jackets anywhere in some of those old classrooms, which were great for lectures but bad for hanging up bulky coats .......

so this was where the blanket-lined made in USA trucker jackets and Storm Riders came in very handy .....

had a lot of coats back then, navy peacoat, gray tweed fly-front topcoat, corduroy cruisers, etc., but we started to compete to see who could dress the lightest

discovered that thick socks, wool scarf, and knit hat could take the place of the heavy coat and let you not have to lug it around all winter .....

the heavy zip hoodie would get respectable when paired with a lambswool v-neck, a t-shirt or an ocbd, a woolen scarf, wide-wale cords from Press, blucher mocs or old Sperry canvas deck shoes or Jack Purcells, wool Wigwam or maybe Burlington or Bean or Woolrich ragg socks

it was fun to grab stuff from different levels of the clothing mountain and jumble them all together, it was my method and one I still use today

wrinkled but right


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#563 2017-12-01 00:02:28

Babbling Brooks
Member
Posts: 265

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

Vladimir C. Stanojevic wrote:

My point being is that it all come down to whether one personally considers Ivy/Trad/Preppy to either be a part of a larger, living, breathing cultural idiom or a set formula for the revival or recreation of a Platonic sartorial ideal which, in some sense, never was by a contemporary sub-culture far removed in time and space from what gave rise to the object of their affections.

It was always "just clothes" to me (heresy!?) ever since my mother shopped for me as a toddler in the '70s.

Being stubborn, I carried on...

Interesting Vladimir. I think you would've loved this one guy that used to post here.

 

#564 2017-12-01 01:00:25

Babbling Brooks
Member
Posts: 265

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/9985_21619012113_2.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/9985_21405897946_2.jpg


http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/9985_21405897916_2.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/9985_21405897941_2.jpg

 

#565 2017-12-01 03:44:24

Vladimir C. Stanojevic
Member
Posts: 11

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

Vlad - I've never, ever heard Canada Goose referred to as a "ghetto brand" (iffy terminology in several ways), nor have I ever seen it worn as such. It seems to be popular among, as woof points out, people who can afford them. It's a yuppie coat and a new-rich coat. Interestingly, Canada Goose was founded in 1957...

Iffy or not - I do have to stand behind it.

Having lived in Stockholm for a number of years I can attest that when seemingly all of Rinkeby (sociologically and economically a textbook ghetto) descends upon the Stureplan on Friday or Saturday night in is in fake/borrowed/purloined/etc. Canada Goose. The same Östermalm crowd (yuppie & old-money) who wore nothing but Canada Goose in 2002 wouldn't be caught dead in it today.

This also pretty much applies - oddly enough - in Eastern Europe where Canada Goose went in the last ten years from being aspirational (yuppie & still wet money) to something which today will tag you as a Gastarbeiter or worse among the smart set.

Sure, Canada Goose has been around forever but its burst of popularity within certain circles in the recent past smacks of what happened to PRL in the '90s and what brands like Tommy Hilfinger were pretty much from the beginning.

Tip - should you ever find yourself in Stockholm try and hit the town on Wednesday night (Lillördag / little Saturday) - much nicer local/neighborhood people, prettier girls, more civilized fun, and far less vomit to slip on.

Reason for edit: Wee morning fingers

Last edited by Vladimir C. Stanojevic (2017-12-01 03:50:43)


"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn."

- Gore Vidal

 

#566 2017-12-01 06:14:29

Babbling Brooks
Member
Posts: 265

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

I think the main reason for avoiding Canada Goose, like with Polo Sport or Tommy's spell out lines, is that they look pretty god damn awful.

 

#567 2017-12-01 07:43:36

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 1488

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

Vladimir C. Stanojevic wrote:

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

Vlad - I've never, ever heard Canada Goose referred to as a "ghetto brand" (iffy terminology in several ways), nor have I ever seen it worn as such. It seems to be popular among, as woof points out, people who can afford them. It's a yuppie coat and a new-rich coat. Interestingly, Canada Goose was founded in 1957...

Iffy or not - I do have to stand behind it.

Having lived in Stockholm for a number of years I can attest that when seemingly all of Rinkeby (sociologically and economically a textbook ghetto) descends upon the Stureplan on Friday or Saturday night in is in fake/borrowed/purloined/etc. Canada Goose. The same Östermalm crowd (yuppie & old-money) who wore nothing but Canada Goose in 2002 wouldn't be caught dead in it today.

This also pretty much applies - oddly enough - in Eastern Europe where Canada Goose went in the last ten years from being aspirational (yuppie & still wet money) to something which today will tag you as a Gastarbeiter or worse among the smart set.

Sure, Canada Goose has been around forever but its burst of popularity within certain circles in the recent past smacks of what happened to PRL in the '90s and what brands like Tommy Hilfinger were pretty much from the beginning.

Tip - should you ever find yourself in Stockholm try and hit the town on Wednesday night (Lillördag / little Saturday) - much nicer local/neighborhood people, prettier girls, more civilized fun, and far less vomit to slip on.

Reason for edit: Wee morning fingers

Maybe that's true in Sweden... But I personally am skeptical of a Scandinavian definition of "ghetto." Isn't anything but themselves ghetto to them? In the US, a more diverse sample group, it has different connotations. That's interesting about Sweden and Eastern Europe, but it's not really grounds for such a sweeping generalization.

Also, those living in very homogenous groups can sometimes be blind to the connotations of certain words...

Either way, I think we've established pretty well that Canada Goose isn't part of the 70s/early 80s prep look, so let's leave it and move on... For example to the excellent J. Press branded sweatshirt in Babbling Brooks' second pic, I would kill for that... Not for those sweatpants which make all men look like Ken dolls (if you know what I'm saying), but that's an excellent sweatshirt... Trench Coat Man is straight out of a Brooks catalog of the same period with his ascot and helmet hair... A+...


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

 

#568 2017-12-03 09:55:22

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11097

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

love seeing these old Japanese Onward Press ads Babbling, thanks

comparing the ideas in the ads to my recollections,

the trench coats and ascot look is not ringing a bell, I never saw ascots although at least some of the professors had trench coats .... 

also, I never saw anybody actually wearing a J. Press logo sweatshirt though I see they were offered in the '81 fall/winter catalogue ...

of course people were wearing college logo sweats all the time as we know, though I went for plain Champion reverse-weave, still USA-made back then, good stuff ....

(however I always had some college t-shirts lying around, even back in elementary school, from random schools and those of relatives, friends, because I felt logo t-shirts from my  own school were obvious/typical, so I wanted to go deeper ... we also had some special-events t-shirts that were made up to commemorate massive parties that people put lots of effort into in an Animal House kind of way, those were key then, and remain difficult to throw out years later)

and the towel around the neck would have been white with a blue stripe down the middle, not royal blue velour

the gramophone is not an entirely accurate detail either although I did buy lots of albums, singles, and 12"s in the late '70s and we were all into cassettes too man ....

cassettes for road trips through Blaupunkts or Alpines, recorded on Nakamichi or Technics decks using Maxell tape ... TDKs were prone to jamming 

I will say that the Handsome Dan lookalike is a very nice touch


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#569 2017-12-03 10:21:55

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11097

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

Babbling Brooks wrote:

I think the main reason for avoiding Canada Goose, like with Polo Sport or Tommy's spell out lines, is that they look pretty god damn awful.

haha in the late '70s we had Goose Gossage and "Packard Goose" by Frank Zappa but the Canada Goose brand which started in '57 apparently was not known to me then ... my down jackets looked killer, they came from Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS), Eddie Bauer, maybe Bean, the local ski shop, The North Face ....

plain was the way to go:

http://www.panagorias.com/photo/201309/DSCN4663.JPG
http://img11.shop-pro.jp/PA01056/039/product/98171773_o2.jpg?cmsp_timestamp=20160128141300
https://img0.etsystatic.com/146/0/6994008/il_340x270.1111190410_9m5i.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/fp4AAOSwTuJYveIu/s-l225.jpg

first two are The North Face, third is Alpine Designs, fourth is EMS, just like one I had


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#570 2017-12-06 02:26:53

Leer R.
Member
From: Vienna
Posts: 3270

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

https://www.harpersbooks.com/pictures/22192_02.jpg?v=1491059903

Faux Fur or not, I like that style. But I really like Snorkel parkas and - besides shearling - I avoid "real fur". But who am I, I am for sure no late 70s preppy, I am someone who might be an "Austrian" preppy - or better, I am a clothes horse loving alot of styles. Haha.

Canada Goose  here in Austria is something to avoid, either. Same with modern Woolrich arctic parkas, although they look good. A friend found a vintage 70s arctic parka, looks alot better - more "outdoorsy", less "elitist". Those big Coyote fur hoods look nice but are so awfully "nouveau riche". Bäh.

I prefer those kinds of down jackets shown by Stanshall anyway, anyday. I had such a jacket by Woolrich, but I gave it to my mum as it was too small for me...


http://maennergarderobe.blogspot.co.at

BB Makers shirts: 15.5/33, BB #1, 2 or 4 suits: 38R

 

#571 2017-12-06 02:41:46

Leer R.
Member
From: Vienna
Posts: 3270

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

stanshall wrote:

/\ re "paninari prep": Aeropostale, Vanson, and University of Harvard stuff is frickin' hilarious!

Sheesh!

but Timberlands became 100%-approved for hip-hop pretty early on as we all know .....

Leer: your Timberland boots look cool to me

@ "paninari prep" brands: uh.
@ Timberlands cool: thanks. Those are good boots.


http://maennergarderobe.blogspot.co.at

BB Makers shirts: 15.5/33, BB #1, 2 or 4 suits: 38R

 

#572 2017-12-06 12:45:50

Babbling Brooks
Member
Posts: 265

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

My levis down jacket is the colour of that second one, with a cord sandy yellow western yoke and hood, not really east coast friendly!

 

#573 2017-12-06 17:26:51

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 1488

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

Babbling Brooks wrote:

My levis down jacket is the colour of that second one, with a cord sandy yellow western yoke and hood, not really east coast friendly!

Rep the yoke. I have an old puffer vest with a cord Western yoke from "High Adventure"... Might be more Colorado than East Coast (in more ways than one)... But I love it anyway...


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

 

#574 2017-12-07 10:51:01

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11097

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

https://pendletonblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/1974-westerley-ad-colory-new.jpg


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#575 2017-12-11 18:54:11

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11097

Re: The Late 70s Prep Checklist

https://garywarnett.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/patagoniaparagonad.jpg


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 Rickard Andersson