You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-27 17:07:38

Berkeley_Breathes

Berle chinos

Does anyone have any experience with Berle chinos? I found them at Hunter and Coggins, which also sells Bill's, but they're way cheaper than Bill's at $95 for cotton twill... Available in short, regular and long rise...

https://hunterandcoggins.com/catalog/berle-trousers

Light weight and tropical worsted wool trousers as well, for $130/135...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#2 2017-12-27 18:30:48

stanshall

Re: Berle chinos

/\  Beebs, I am pretty sure J. Press has recently carried Berle chinos, both the 100% cotton and the cotton/poly poplin, and both seem fine, almost as good as the very same ones with the J. Press labels sewn in .....

it's possible Press also carried the Berle tropical worsted as well

but I'd be more willing to try the cotton twills and the cotton/poly poplins first ......

in any event Hunter & Coggins seems to have a good return policy, Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Money Back, so ............

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#3 2017-12-27 18:36:55

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#4 2017-12-28 00:59:39

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Sourcing decent chinos is a perennial problem so I will be interested to hear any experiences with Berle.

Bills are great quality but I've never been impressed with the cut or rise.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#5 2017-12-28 02:07:12

Classic

Very interesting. Getting decent chinos in Germany is a nightmare. Had the classic Dockers Marina for years, but now they changed the cut for the worse.

#6 2017-12-28 09:33:44

stanshall

/\  I have some Berle walk shorts that were store-labeled from the long-running now-defunct Ivy>Prep shop the Country Squire in Fort Lauderdale, a place our pal Senorservo2.0 turned me on to, from which I nabbed several very key items over a couple of very good years and then bang the place was out of business ....

... the poplin walk shorts from the Squire were from Berle, because they had a Berle tag on the inside along with a Country Squire store label, and they were identical to my Press poplin walk shorts when I A-B'd them , and the same went for the poplin trousers ....

#7 2017-12-28 09:54:12

Berkeley_Breathes

Nice, I'll try to pick some of these up in the near-ish future and will update this thread when I do... Yes, I've never been able to pull the trigger on Bill's because I just wasn't sure about rise, etc... Hopefully these fit the bill, as it were! I may email someone to ask about the different rises, if I do I'll post the reply here...

#8 2017-12-28 12:20:20

stanshall

/\  never had any Bill's, my khaki needs had already been met before they came into existence and gained a following ...

already had Orvis, Bean, Andover, Press, and Brooks, from '81 on, supplemented by increasing numbers of poplin trousers accumulating from outgrown wash-and-wear summer suits     (and those would be great beaters, because who cared what happened to them, and I liked that recycling aspect) ....

currently have the above plus a bunch of really good ones from O'Connell's ....

I have had that Hunter and Coggins site marked for poplins for a while, because O'Connell's ran very low on poplins for a while there, now they're better, but I was looking at their numerous good Ivy trouser offerings ....

let us know how the Berle experiment goes, satisfaction is guaranteed by Hunter and Coggins, can't say fairer than that ....

#9 2017-12-28 12:25:48

Yuca

I got a pair of Bills M2 cords a while ago, from their made in US days. Too wide on the thigh (an easy fix really) but otherwise a good cut with a decent rise. The quality of the corduroy is outstanding; according to my tailor it's better than that used by O'C's and is the best he's seen since the 70s.

But I don't think their chinos are made in the US any more, so unless I see some from the past I'll stick with O'C's and may well try Berle too if rise reports are sufficiently enticing.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#10 2017-12-28 13:10:24

stanshall

#11 2017-12-28 16:46:02

Berkeley_Breathes

Hard to find good wide-wale cords nowadays. Just bought Brooks Hudson fit wide-wales, 8 I believe, for less than $100 with the holiday sale... Wide-wale cords in a good color for less than $150 is a rare thing...

#12 2017-12-29 04:24:59

WildBlue

Last edited by WildBlue (2017-12-29 04:25:32)

#13 2017-12-29 06:25:15

Berkeley_Breathes

#14 2018-01-08 13:00:26

mhalat

#15 2018-01-08 13:13:02

Berkeley_Breathes

#16 2018-01-08 17:16:17

Worried Man

Berk, I could be divulging completely erroneous info here, but I think Hertling may have actually made trousers for Berle at some point.  Maybe still do?  I could have either read this online somewhere, which doesn't mean it's correct at all, or I could have dreamt it.  Berle pants I've seen look similar to Hertlings in construction.  There's only one option in my book, at this point.  O'C's isn't cheap, but they are the ticket.  Best I've found in terms of fit and finish.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#17 2018-01-08 17:23:43

Berkeley_Breathes

#18 2018-01-08 17:26:52

ste

I've been buying Hudson fit and taking in the waist to fit my previously fat legs and rear. It's got the best rise from BB in my opinion.

Now that I'm emaciated again I would like to take a look at their Hudson in the proper fitting waist. I'm sure the tailor will be able to taper the legs.

#19 2018-01-08 17:47:08

Berkeley_Breathes

#20 2018-01-08 20:19:39

stanshall

#21 2018-01-12 21:44:47

ste

Berkeley - what I have now are too big, because I was fatter, with fatter legs and rear so I sized up then took in the waist. Now the waist is quite loose (maybe 4 inches), and the rest is like WW2 baggy.

I have a feeling if I get the right size, probably a 32, then I'd just taper a bit below the knee. Somewhere around 8.5 inches.

#22 2018-01-13 02:28:32

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Ideal chino/trousers measurement?

Thigh - 12"
Knee - 10"
Hem - 8"

I went through a phase of obsessing over trouser taper, one time I ended up spoiling a nice pair by having them over tapered. Sometimes they work out well, but often if the original cut is messed with they never look quite right. I've concluded that generally it's best to leave well alone and if you like a pair of trousers, but they are half an inch wider at the ankle than you would ideally like - just live with it.

John Simons

#23 2018-01-13 10:29:19

Berkeley_Breathes

#24 2018-01-13 10:40:31

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Rise-tastic!!

John Simons

#25 2018-01-13 10:45:17

Berkeley_Breathes

Board footer