You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-21 13:04:47

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Peaky Blinders style

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2 2018-01-21 13:43:15

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: Peaky Blinders style

Serious question - how easy is it to pull one of these off in the UK? I'd say it's near impossible in the US without looking like Tristan Tenfold in a polo coat, or the kind of guy who forges swords in his spare time...

Also I've never watched Peaky Blinders so didn't realize Cillian Murphy is in it, I always liked him.

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#3 2018-01-21 13:45:53

Babbling Brooks

Newsboy caps and 1920s/30s ivy👍
Modern Peaky blinders vintage beard men 👎

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere.

#4 2018-01-21 13:49:29

Babbling Brooks

#5 2018-01-21 13:56:28

Berkeley_Breathes

My head is far too small (I wear a size 7) to ever wear anything like that, a baseball cap is already pushing it...

Some of the ones in the pics above almost look like baggy greens to be honest...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#6 2018-01-21 14:14:37

Worried Man

I think Stan's a fan of the 8-panel.  I wear a non-paneled flat cap on occasion.  I'd prefer this over a knit cap in cold weather, although possibly less warm.  The one I prefer is an old Bean suede cap.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#7 2018-01-22 02:21:29

MCM Geography Teacher

Usually worn, as well as the 'pork pie' hat, in the UK by 'men of a certain age' who are clinging on by their fingernails to a belief in their I’m not a ‘normie’, ‘check me out I’m a bit alternative’, ‘aren’t I quite the raffish dandy’. Usually geriatric punk rockers, left leaning romantic bohemian lifestyle fantasists. That television programme has now pushed it into normie territory. Could be worse, they could be grown men in baseball caps..

'Bill Murden becomes the hero of the day as he rescues a confused duck.'

#8 2018-01-22 02:54:00

Babbling Brooks

Ouch!

#9 2018-01-22 03:08:08

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#10 2018-01-22 03:26:29

MCM Geography Teacher

@ BBrooks - Merely my observations from wandering round my home environs of Bristol, a hyper bubble of 'kidults'. Perhaps I should clarify my use of ‘usually’ in the above, I see some who wear them in a grown up, sensible manner with say tweed overcoats and sensible shoes but overwhelmingly they fall into the previously described tribes which are essentially minor (regional London/Bristol?) variations on your ‘certain demographics’. But any move away from branded clothing has to be welcomed.

@Woofboxer. I’ve a Brooks rain hat if I get caught on the commute and a navy ribbed wool hat for colder days. To a certain extent I see this board as a celebration of normal and mediocre, but done correctly.

Last edited by MCM Geography Teacher (2018-01-22 03:39:35)

#11 2018-01-22 03:29:45

Babbling Brooks

Watch cap when its cold and windy
Baseballcap when its warm
Bucket cap for the rain

Thats about it for me, oh wait, beret when im boppin'

#12 2018-01-22 03:37:14

Kingston1an

No criminal who had made some money would persist with the Cillian Murphy pudding bowl haircut.

Even Arthur, who was supposed to be the less intelligent brother, adopted a less savage style as the series rolled on.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#13 2018-01-22 03:45:11

Kingston1an

Last edited by Kingston1an (2018-01-22 03:49:17)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#14 2018-01-22 03:50:15

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#15 2018-01-22 03:59:10

MCM Geography Teacher

#16 2018-01-22 04:29:41

chuck power

Who do you see? Who do you watch? Whose your leader? Which is your flock?

#17 2018-01-22 04:41:10

chuck power

And as for Peaky Blinders, I have to say you've got have dedication to have kept watching it up too now. It is rubbish of the highest order and I am constantly amazed at it's popularity. As pointed out elsewhere, it is a B+M Bargains Boardwalk Empire - with the production values of Downton Abbey and a script by the people behind Crossroads. The last series (hopefuly) really jumped the shark with Adrien Brody overacting his tits off as the leader of a caricature style of a band of Noo Yawk gangsters evidently based on the Anthill Mob. At one point, Brody attempted the incredible feat of impersonating Robert De Niro, doing a screen test for Marlon Brando playing Vito Corleone and failed miserably. All this said, it has the hypnotic appeal of a slow motion car crash and I have watched every episode ....  lol

Last edited by chuck power (2018-01-22 05:24:20)

Who do you see? Who do you watch? Whose your leader? Which is your flock?

#18 2018-01-22 05:04:20

Babbling Brooks

Haha

#19 2018-01-22 05:26:45

MCM Geography Teacher

^indeed. Never watched it but Chuck describes it exactly as I imagined. My teenage daughter is a fan but I believe this is mainly based on one of the male actors involved.

#20 2018-01-22 05:35:25

Acton_Baby

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#21 2018-01-22 08:36:49

Berkeley_Breathes

#22 2018-01-22 08:48:07

Berkeley_Breathes

#23 2018-01-22 08:53:22

Tomiskinky

So many people I know love it - I think I got 3 or 4 episodes in, can't watch it - just does nothing for me. The caps have become incredibly ubiquitous down here in London - and as others have said there is very much a middle age crowd who have latched onto this look, often seen at places like the Vintage Car Boot etc, they look neat but it's a little too much like dressing up - what I love about the Ivy Style is the subtlety or the showman, you can go either way - sometimes you want to stand out in madras or seersucker, other times, mooch along in tweed.

#24 2018-01-22 09:14:50

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Everything you need to become a real Peaky Blinder can be found here:

https://www.garrisontailors.com/

Except the guns and razor blades.

John Simons

#25 2018-01-22 09:23:29

Berkeley_Breathes

Board footer