You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-06 22:44:00

kylepw

Michael Spencer OCBD Purchase

I'm a diehard Mercer & Sons fan so admittedly felt a tinge of guilt, but I did it. I purchased a Michael Spencer OCBD in light pink (an oxford color M&S doesn't offer).

I ordered it in Vintage fit, which according to their size chart is a hair smaller than M&S and probably in line with vintage Brooks, depending on how much it shrinks. I ordered a separate neck size from body size by first selecting the neck size in a drop down menu and then specifying in the Notes section to customize the body size. No extra charge.

Customer service via email has been outstanding. Not sure if I was just emailing at the right time of day, but somebody from their side responded to my emails within 10 minutes on three separate occasions (past midnight Eastern time). They may not sleep.

My last question was about how their pink oxford compared to their light pink oxford. They kindly sent this photo as a comparison.

https://i.imgur.com/4QBmuDdl.jpg

With my light complexion, I'm glad I went with light pink. M&S's pink OCBD falls somewhere between these two, but even that's a little dark for my taste.

3-5 week wait apparently. Will post pics and thoughts once it arrives.

Last edited by kylepw (2018-02-07 04:50:00)

#2 2018-02-06 23:28:28

Babbling Brooks

Re: Michael Spencer OCBD Purchase

Ive had a similar issue again im pretty pale skin and the darker pinks havent really worked for me, i sold on my Makers in the darker pink which ive approximated from memory on the right. Where as these light raspberry pinks like the one on the left work for me very well especially against dark saturated blues..

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/9985_1517984588695.jpg

Last edited by Babbling Brooks (2018-02-06 23:29:10)

Dirty bucks I want you, dirty bucks I need you, woh-oh.

#3 2018-02-06 23:32:59

kylepw

Babbling Brooks wrote:

Ive had a similar issue again im pretty pale skin and the darker pinks havent really worked for me, i sold on my Makers in the darker pink which ive approximated from memory on the right. Where as these light raspberry pinks like the one on the left work for me very well especially against dark saturated blues..

Yeah, darker pinks drown me out too when I wear them sans tie in the summer. A light pink oxford under a blazer is a winner for me.

Your dark pink Makers just reminded me: they said their "pink oxford" is the exact same fabric Brooks uses for its pink oxfords (same factory, too, so I've read).

Last edited by kylepw (2018-02-06 23:34:07)

#4 2018-02-07 02:13:07

Babbling Brooks

My darker one was an end on end fabric, it did look good, just not on me!

Dirty bucks I want you, dirty bucks I need you, woh-oh.

#5 2018-02-07 08:15:07

alkydrinker

kylepw wrote:

Your dark pink Makers just reminded me: they said their "pink oxford" is the exact same fabric Brooks uses for its pink oxfords (same factory, too, so I've read).

Yes, Michael Spencer definitely does use the Garland NC Brooks Brothers factory, and I've always assumed that their oxford cloths must be the same as BB's. When Michael Spencer was still very new and working out kinks, I had a couple problems with a shirt I ordered. In working out the resolution, I received a couple emails from a factory rep that had a BB email address, then received the replacement shirt directly from Garland.

So, there is alot of product overlap between the OCBDs offered by BB, Michael Spencer, and Ratio. I think perhaps the one and only feature that is truly unique to Michael Spencer is the "inverted pleat" sleeve pleat, which I quite like (and I hate the BB sleeve shirring). Although I am not sure if there may be minor differences in the collar size and design between BB, Michael Spencer, and the Ratio "Fitzgerald" collar. It's also possible that Michael Spencer's non-oxford fabric offerings may be unique to them as well. BTW, this is not a criticism of Michael Spencer, just an observation, as I am a fan of them - I already have a few shirts from them and will likely buy more in the future.

#6 2018-02-07 08:40:46

alkydrinker

Also, that is a great comparison pic provided by Michael Spencer, posted by the OP.

It's hard to accurately show fabric over a web pic, but I think Michael Spencer does the best possible job. The fabric pics on their website are very good/realistic.

Board footer