You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-08 14:04:04

Beestonplace

THE WHITE SHIRT – TELLING THE MEN FROM THE BOYS

https://parisiangentleman.co.uk/2013/03/16/the-white-shirt-telling-the-men-from-the-boys/

"The white button-down shirt is on constant duty — prepared to rescue its owner whenever he finds himself in a sartorial stupor. The white shirt is worn until its last breath, or until its color shifts to some unknown off-white shade that is only named in paint store flip-guide color palettes. We  have a certain penchant for our new white shirts. And, like a new car’s first scratch, we cringe at the first drop of red wine or salsa dip that jumps defiantly onto the front panel (of course) of our gleaming white."

(...)

"Without a man saying a word, the choice and condition of his white shirt is able to give a few clues about his personality. Noticing his white shirt during the span of one week, I can’t help but have some clear impressions about whether this person is creative or unimaginative, takes care with his appearance or is indifferent to dressing well, and whether he is good at attending to details or not"

(...)

"Without going into excessive explanations, we can agree that the man who shows up to a meeting with a faded, slightly wrinkled white shirt that looks like it was picked off the shelf at Wal-Mart (alongside a baguette and some shaving cream), has nothing on the man with the clean, crisp, white, well-woven shirt with an obviously selected weave, collar, cuff and placket style."

I LOVE , this foum

#2 2018-02-10 13:12:59

Beestonplace

Re: THE WHITE SHIRT – TELLING THE MEN FROM THE BOYS

No-one?

I LOVE , this foum

#3 2018-02-10 13:29:32

Berkeley_Breathes

"well-woven shirt with an obviously selected weave, collar, cuff and placket style."

^ This is more important than having wrinkles or not, or the shirt being old or not... Any Joe Schmo can have an ironed, bright white shirt...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#4 2018-02-11 11:35:21

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Cloth is the most important factor when making a white shirt purchase. Deffo worth paying more for quality in the long run than any other shirt. Once that "crispness" is gone white shirts need binning. A patterned or coloured shirt dress shirt can be worn for casual and works its way down to cleaning windows or gardening in. A dull white shirt has no casual stage.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#5 2018-02-11 12:04:20

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

"And if we look at shirt-making as an artform and an act of craftsmanship, then we began to sense the possibilities of making this staple…something special".

This rings true, hand work on shirts I find really attractive. Hand stitched shoulders and yoke seams add real soul to a shirt. Even if no one else notices, I love those little attentions to detail.

#6 2018-02-11 12:19:40

Beestonplace

For some strange reason, "My" perfect white shirt would be made of royal Oxford, or pinpoint.

I LOVE , this foum

#7 2018-03-01 13:10:45

Rod

When I was first in the workplace I wore ONLY white poplin shirts and white pocket squares. Maybe it was a semi conscious nod to Cary Grant style minimalism but this was the nineties so my ties were all brightly coloured.
When I finally took the plunge into a blue shirt - bought to wear with a beige summer suit as I reckoned a white shirt would wash me out - I saw the benefits and now have almost exclusively blue shirts (stripes, ginghams, basket weaves, end on ends, herringbones, PoWs etc.) Blue is much more flattering to a pasty blondie like me and I find I very rarely reach for a white shirt. Anyway I recently got a sky blue PoW suit against which a blue shirt would provide almost zero constrast so I recently picked up a white one in royal oxford from Tyrwhitt and I really like it. The texture might not be visible from more than a few feet away but it’s a bit less boring than a plain ol’ poplin and bridges the gap nicely to be worn with a suit and tie IMO without going too far over towards the less formal white OCBD.

Check this out: www.rodsmodblog.wordpress.com

#8 2018-03-18 11:46:17

Beestonplace

Rod it helps if you spend time outdoors, ideally combined with some sort of activity. That will make your face slightly reddish, which looks healthier against a white shirt.

I LOVE , this foum

#9 2018-03-18 12:33:45

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#10 2018-03-18 12:34:20

Beestonplace

Thats what I did today

I LOVE , this foum

#11 2018-03-18 21:45:57

Rod

Check this out: www.rodsmodblog.wordpress.com

#12 2018-03-18 23:59:39

Beestonplace

Its not about sun, its about air. I spend a lot of time indoors and even in overcast weather my skin becomes better when being outside.

I LOVE , this foum

#13 2018-10-31 23:27:27

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#14 2018-11-01 11:40:33

mhalat

#15 2018-11-02 06:05:54

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

My favorite white shirt is in Sea Island, great touch and it washes really well. Don't know who made the cloth but the shirts by Inglese so I expect it'd be a good maker.

#16 2018-11-02 12:33:51

mhalat

#17 2018-11-08 18:29:02

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Sea Island Experiment? The Island of Dr Shirteau?

#18 2018-11-08 20:29:59

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#19 2018-11-14 22:17:12

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

The real question is are there really any looks for men or indeed women anymore? It seems like the women's clothing industry with it's disposable and renta-fashions has broken the traditional fashion cycles we've been accustomed to for centuries. The purpose of fashion, or at least a principle purpose of fashion is to have a standard look which is then done better or worse by individuals applying their own individual interpretations (or lack of an interpretation). One wonders if the white shirt as a fashion statement has also been torpedoed?

#20 2018-11-18 06:43:16

Chévere

Cógelo suave, pero cógelo.

#21 2018-11-25 22:24:41

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Not a subscriber but I get the gist.  I think never have we all, collectively thirsted to be so individual as right at this moment.

#22 2018-12-04 20:49:06

Chévere

^ Yes, there is this madness for group/class identity.
The only sin worse than cultural appropriation in dressing is dressing in a way that violates other's safe space of comfort wear. Downright offensive.

#23 2018-12-05 14:21:54

Beestonplace

I fully admit my love for bland, unnoticeable, uniform-like business wear with my ubiquitous navy suits, patternless shirts, identikit Hermes ties bought from their airport boutiques on unmemorable business trips, combined with straight-laced C&J oxfords and some very conservative Cordings covert coats and shooting jackets.

(And if you want, I would be glad to publish some extra post on that style here on FNB)

But it is MY style, I well very comfortable in it, it suits me, whereas many other variations (and I have tried them all) don't.

I therefore can fully relate to that comment about the French.

I LOVE , this foum

#24 2018-12-05 19:47:37

Berkeley_Breathes

^ This is an excellent comment, Beeston.

#25 2018-12-05 20:33:17

Chévere

Board footer