You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-08 14:04:04

Beestonplace

THE WHITE SHIRT – TELLING THE MEN FROM THE BOYS

https://parisiangentleman.co.uk/2013/03 … -the-boys/

"The white button-down shirt is on constant duty — prepared to rescue its owner whenever he finds himself in a sartorial stupor. The white shirt is worn until its last breath, or until its color shifts to some unknown off-white shade that is only named in paint store flip-guide color palettes. We  have a certain penchant for our new white shirts. And, like a new car’s first scratch, we cringe at the first drop of red wine or salsa dip that jumps defiantly onto the front panel (of course) of our gleaming white."

(...)

"Without a man saying a word, the choice and condition of his white shirt is able to give a few clues about his personality. Noticing his white shirt during the span of one week, I can’t help but have some clear impressions about whether this person is creative or unimaginative, takes care with his appearance or is indifferent to dressing well, and whether he is good at attending to details or not"

(...)

"Without going into excessive explanations, we can agree that the man who shows up to a meeting with a faded, slightly wrinkled white shirt that looks like it was picked off the shelf at Wal-Mart (alongside a baguette and some shaving cream), has nothing on the man with the clean, crisp, white, well-woven shirt with an obviously selected weave, collar, cuff and placket style."

#2 2018-02-10 13:12:59

Beestonplace

Re: THE WHITE SHIRT – TELLING THE MEN FROM THE BOYS

No-one?

#3 2018-02-10 13:29:32

Berkeley_Breathes

"well-woven shirt with an obviously selected weave, collar, cuff and placket style."

^ This is more important than having wrinkles or not, or the shirt being old or not... Any Joe Schmo can have an ironed, bright white shirt...

"I happen to believe that the 1954 decision was right. But my belief does not matter; it is now the law. Some of you may believe the decision was wrong. That does not matter - it is the law. And we both respect the law." - RFK

#4 2018-02-11 11:35:21

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Cloth is the most important factor when making a white shirt purchase. Deffo worth paying more for quality in the long run than any other shirt. Once that "crispness" is gone white shirts need binning. A patterned or coloured shirt dress shirt can be worn for casual and works its way down to cleaning windows or gardening in. A dull white shirt has no casual stage.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#5 2018-02-11 12:04:20

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

"And if we look at shirt-making as an artform and an act of craftsmanship, then we began to sense the possibilities of making this staple…something special".

This rings true, hand work on shirts I find really attractive. Hand stitched shoulders and yoke seams add real soul to a shirt. Even if no one else notices, I love those little attentions to detail.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#6 2018-02-11 12:19:40

Beestonplace

For some strange reason, "My" perfect white shirt would be made of royal Oxford, or pinpoint.

Board footer