You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-06 12:12:22

AQG

Traditional American Style: Foulies

Foulies.  Foul Weather Gear.   The stuff you wear sailing to stay dry.  Nathan Detroit's post on AAAT got me thinking that this stuff hasn't been touched on here.  Perhaps that because the discussion is largely driven by Brits who've bought into some sort of tough, street look.

From the American point of view, this stuff must, I contend, be part of the Traditional American look.  It's the jacket you grab in spring-summer-warm fall.  Says sailing and sundry seagoing pursuits.  Conveys an impression of being properly in the know during warm weather.  Those Baracuta jackets are really for a bit earlier or later in the season and they don't exactly keep the rain off.

Ms. Birnbach, to mention She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, even gives foulies a pass in the OPH permitting their use in the city.  They are a notable exception to the all natural fibers stricture.  They foulies in question were lightweight, rubberized, yellow garments.  They didn't breathe at all.  Wearing them represented a sort of Hobson's choice.  You could either not wear them and be wet with rain or don them and swim in your sweat.

There has, however, been evolution.  I suggest the following from Henri-LLoyd as a good example:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,92463_Henri-Lloyd-Breeze-Jacket-Waterproof-For-Men.html

This is the modern, lightweight equivalent of those yellow buggers of days past.  It breathes, it flexes, it keeps light to mid rain off wonderfully.

Check out the cut.  A nice, trim blouson style jacket with a stand-up, contrast collar and two side pockets.  Perfectly consistent with the ivy cut in outerwear.  There's a nice detail in the velcro cuff adjustors.  On the back of the collar, there's a reflective strip to do justice to its function as seagoing gear.  This jacket is casual, fit and stylish. 

A few notes about color.  This particular model represents two branches in development of modern foulies.  It's available in traditional, bright, primary sailing colors.  Very preppy and, let's face it, Ivy has to own up to, and own preppy.  At the same time, there are lots of greys and carbons.  Even a natural.  What does "natural" nylon look like?

Why do we see this dichotomous color scheme?  I suspect the high-tech revolution in sailing is at the bottom of it.  Carbon fibre hull and spars, carbon colored jackets.  Horses for courses.

Whatever your taste in colors, I commend to your attention foulies as the great, overlooked part of the look discussed here so often.  Perhaps those overseas, rather than on the seas, might give them a chance?

#2 2008-07-06 12:52:15

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: Traditional American Style: Foulies

A great contribution, AQG - I like the cut of that jacket very much.

I'm all for the big picture - Bring it on. Every aspect, every nuance of Classic/Traditional American style.

A point worth mentioning about the ol' Ivy League style is that it is also only a part of this bigger picture that I like to talk about. The family tree of American style is huge.

And then even within Ivy style the style has so many different manifestations depending on where and when you look.
The 'tough' aspect of Ivy in London is no more the totality of the style than its Brahmin aspect is in the US.

And Foulies certainly have their place too!

Cheers -

Last edited by Russell_Street (2008-07-06 13:01:11)

#3 2008-07-06 14:22:19

Cheeky Monkey

I guess The British version of a foulie would be a Kagole or as my Granny used to call a similar version- a pac a mac.

The Henri lloyd version is -much reminiscent of the blousons worn by the  show jumping fraternity - worn when they have removed their more formal jumping jackets-usuually emblazoned with the name of the rider or sponsor -such as bluechip or equihage.

... ... ...

#4 2008-07-07 02:22:44

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Hey, Brits need foul weather gear too!

I still have an old bright yellow Helly Hansen PVC oilskin jacket. More of a lively and carefree vibe than modern sailing gear. I've been wearing mine on recent rainy weekends with tartan bermudas and tennis shoes for padding down to the bakers.
My other one is a heavy-duty lined nylon Helly Hansen jacket, which does see salt water on occasion. The mildly amusing thing about it is the colour scheme: 'oyster' and navy.

#5 2008-07-07 02:55:44

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

^ Sounds very 'Take Ivy' mate! wink

#6 2021-10-13 07:20:16

A Fine Sadness

I saw a yellow slicker at the weekend, blinked and smiled.  It reminded me of the good old days, when Staceyboy and I would swap ideas about 'Take Ivy' and the ownership of one of those old slickers was considered kind of 'collegiate desirable'.  I also bought a Sebago rain/saltwater spray jacket, which still hangs on a peg and gets a fairly frequent airing on trips into the countryside.  Yep: Traditional American Style.  What 'Talk Ivy' is all about.  Well, most of the time.

Board footer