You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-13 09:59:49

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Westaway & Westaway -

http://westaway.co.uk/store/

This was THE place to buy Shetlands in London, just by the British Museum in Bloomsbury. After W&W came Sam Fisher.

Talk to them & they'll ship you old school Scottish Shetlands via Madrid. Last time I asked they were something like £35 or £45. Can't remember & am too lazy to check.

Their product is more of a layering item maybe. Not as thick & luxe as the Andover Shet.

J.

#2 2008-08-13 10:25:55

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: Westaway & Westaway -

... And you know that the American style Shetland  when compared to the Shetlands in England and Scotland when I was growing up & wearing them as an English 'Trad' dresser are very different animals... I'm talking 1965 onwards here.

Shetlands were always much cheaper than Lambswool & very flat & scratchy. My mother thought very little of them. A bit of a Poor man's sweater in London when compared to all the other options.

The American style double brushed Shetland looks a lot like a cheap Woman's Mohair sweater in England. It isn't a style that we'd recognise as being a component of 'Traditional' menswear at all.

The Shetlands you know are absolutely not the Shetlands we used to know. Just like your Harris Tweeds are vastly different to ours. The details are all different.

Yours are a wonderful mutant exaggeration of the true classic style in both cases. A thing I like.

Interesting?

J.

#3 2008-08-13 12:19:29

Kingstonian

Shetlands to me were very British Home Stores - the cheapest jumpers in the shop, apart from acrylic ones, too.

I do not understand why they are a big deal for Americans.

Fair Isle I could understand, as you have a pattern which adds some interest.

#4 2008-08-13 12:24:21

mike

You love him? He is hephaistion.

#5 2008-08-14 03:18:46

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

#6 2008-08-14 04:50:08

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

True.

Kids wore Shetlands because they were cheap.

#7 2008-08-14 13:17:11

Howard

www.shetlandknitwear.com/Everest.aspx

Board footer